New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Good to have others. Wife has 13 Irmo"s & Irma's and they speak muito rapido and I am lost.
Yep, the driving is a bit different. The motorcycles are what sets me off. Wife had 2 mirrors knocked off her car. No right on red was a change for me. Speed limits I understand. Many do not care but glad to see slower limits here. Roads are bad and I miss jumping in the car a taking a weekend trip, but no way here. (took me a awhile to get use to metric system also.)

I know the rapid speech. I'm lost too. My only defense is to speak loudly in English and all stop talking and slow down. Our house always has family in it. The motos are a pain for me but my wife tolerates them. Roads are very bad and filled with potholes My wife  is my "Pothole Queen", LOL. She manages to avoid 99 out of 100, but when she hits one, look out !!

My wife the opposite. I think she looks for them to hit.
LOL as to speaking loud back and they look at me and stare. Not just one topic, they'll have different subjects. Others are just always texting.
I get every 3rd word and have to think, by that time they are on another subject!

I have much praise for my wife and her Brazilian ways. I love the few local churrascarias. Great pieces of meat that would cost a lot in the States. Still hoping to find real American Pizza with REAL pepperoni and not pork LOL.

Be CAREFUL When Hiring or paying one of these companies to "assist" with obtaining a US Visa...Be Very Careful
A majority of these companies or people that Do this are Schiesters and they Do Absolutely Nothing Except Fill Out the Visa Application on your behalf and dont even fill in alot of the questions they leave em blank.
The Embassy/Consulate In Montevideo Uruguay is Probably the Very Best Consulate in South America, and Has by far the Highest Approval Rates for Visas as Well as the Shortest Wait times.
Do some research on this...Alot of people in southern Brasil Go to this Consulate because of their Service and high Approval Rates...Each Embassy/Consulate worldwide has it's own internal methods of working
Lawrence

Good luck on an American pizza....... Had one open very lose to the house after getting to know them I brought some hamburger meat an ask for the to cook with extra cheese. they thought I was crazy!!!!! They did I and tried and now starting to sell. Hope it catches on....
expensive to buy the meat and pay for pizza.

In May I brought a Pizza from home. Our Family and friends went crazy for it. They could not believe how tasty the crust and sauce was. Pizza without Ketchup and Mayonnaise was new to them. Brazil already has all the mixings and ovens, all they need is someone to complete it.

So true. Miss a good deep dish meat lover pizza!

Hi everyone
I have come to Sao Paulo for 3 months on business from Delhi, India. I work with Accenture. Its difficult to find english speaking people here. I would love to connect with people and find company in exploring Brazil if lucky.

Welcome!
If you think that there are not many people who speak English in Sao Paulo, Come to the Beautiful City I live in,  Arraial d'Ajuda (Porto Seguro) Bahia. Because there Really Are Not Many at all that speak English here in these smaller cities! But it's ok, life is great here for me and my Brazillian wife, she speaks English so I am good...
But there truly isnt alot of folks that speak English here, what I have noticed is that Younger people like my step son who is 20 and his friends actually speak English pretty well...they learn it from Playing Their Games on the internet with live players from around the world, kinda interesting actually.
I hope you adjust and have a great time here, stay safe
Lawrence

Hello everyone! I am Roberto and here to learn and share my 25 years experience abroad. I am a duo citizen, American - Brazilian. Questions?

Hi all.
My name is Jan. I currently live in South Africa. Are divorced and are going on early retirement next month. I am passionate about learning/teaching and hope to find a position in Brazil as English teacher

Hey all, brazilian-italian, back in Brazil after many years abroad. Happy to help in any info needed, as I understand what is to live in a different country with a different culture!
Cheers, M

Welcome Mariana will look forward to your perspective and advice.

I have never introduced myself here so I decided it was time. I am a woman married to a Brazilian woman and we spend time both in the US and in Brazil. We have a place in Campos do Jordao but haven't had nearly enough time to spend there! Our marriage is legitimized in both the US and Brazil, and I have a residence visa which takes a bit of time and effort to obtain. Love the country and can't wait to explore all the different parts of it. The only thing delaying matters is that my large dog and several cats are still in the US and we haven't come up with a great way to move them all. If only we could drive them down!!  :)

Hello there, Melvine here married to a Brazilian but living in Saudi. I am planning to stay in Brazil to change my passport and thinking to work while waiting.

My wife is from Guaruja Sao, Paulo having a business.

Do you think it's a best plan to do that?

Thank You,

Mevine

Welcome, Melvine,
It's not a terrible plan.  As discussed on other threads, as the spouse of a Brazilian citizen, you qualify for permanent residency.  Once that is approved and you have your CRNM, you can immediately go to your state Labor Department and obtain a Labor Card, which will let you work legally in Brazil.  That's a huge advantage.
The bad news is that Brazil still has not recovered from the 2007-2008 Recession; the job market in the Southeast, where your wife is from, is weak, and the job market in the rest of the country is even worse.  Also as discussed elsewhere, to get a job in your field, you'll probably need to have your diploma certified by a Brazilian public university, which can be a costly and time consuming process.  And, even if a job in your field is available, you'll probably be very disappointed at the salary. 
Bottom line:  unless you have a legitimate offshore source of income, or bring a big grubstake with you, or your wife's business is very successful, or some combination of all three, be prepared to live modestly for the several years that it takes to get your degree certified and to complete the naturalization process.  If the economy improves, that could lift your boat with all others; otherwise, there may be some English teaching in your future, until something better turns up.

Got it.  Not a nice idea to stay there.

Hello everyone!
Before I introduce myself, I'd just like to say that I'm so glad this wonderful forum exists! I'm very excited to be a part of a lovely group of people offering support and exchanging information. Looking into some of the process for going through with my impending marriage and residency has been making my head spin, but as soon as I began to read some threads on here, things cleared up a bit.

Onto the intro-
My name is Kate, I'm soon-to-be 27 year-old American citizen, born and raised!
In 2017, through total happenstance, I struck up a fast friendship with a lovely Brazilian man on Facebook. Slowly, our relationship developed romantically. In March of 2019, I came to his hometown of Brasilia, DF to finally meet and stay with my love - what was supposed to be one month turned into three! We had already talked about marriage before, but during my stay, my boyfriend officially proposed and became my fiance.

Now I'm back in the good ol' USA...for now. We're planning to marry either this year before the holidays, or early next year after New Years. Depends on how quickly I receive my Certified Copy of birth cert and get it Apostilled.
I do have loads, and loads of questions about the marriage process in Brazil...getting married in the States isn't an option for us, as many of you can probably guess. Friends of ours in Brasilia have warned us about loads of people being denied US Visas with no legitimate reasoning. So, the Brazilian bureaucracy dance commences...

I'm going to continue reading through previous threads, but you can bet you'll see me around here posting all sorts of questions and comments! :)

Thanks for reading! E muito prazer!

hey guys! I'm an American living in Fortaleza Brazil. I have a YT channel where I talk about my experiences in Brazil. Here's a link :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZCW- … subscriber

Bom dia gente~!

So a little introduction :

- Nationality : South Korean
- Speaks : English, Portuguese, Korean
- Lived in : Atlanta (USA), Vancouver (Canada), Rio & Fortaleza, Seoul (Korea)
- Works for : Companhia Siderurgica do Pecem (My firm has 20% share)
- Lives in : Beira Mar
- Interests : Meeting expats, networking, playing golf, tennis, praia

Send me e-mails if interested : sammywie[at]gmail.com
   * Sorry but my firm only hires Brazilians or Foreigners with Res, Permanente.
     if you have Steel Mill experience, you can send CVs.

Regards

Welcome, Sammy,
Nice way to organize your info.  Enjoy Fortaleza

Welcome Samuel,
Nice post. May want to post hiring on the jobs forum.
Refreshing to see opportunities' for many needing work.
Good luck. Take care speeding, brother-in-law is PRF in Fortaleza.  :lol:

Awesome!

My name is Banke. I’m new to Brazil Forum.
I’m planning to give birth in Brazil from Nigeria for dual Citizenship. I don’t know anyone in Brazil.
So I will like to know the safest place to live and cheap apartment or a roomate or flatmate to share the apartment with. And I need to know more about the country.
   Thanks

Hi, Banke,
Please learn a lot more about Brazil before you commit to this plan. 
Your child will have dual citizenship, but you won't.  You can apply for permanent residency after your child is born:  it's a 2-3 month process, and requires a list of documents that you'll need to bring with you from Nigeria.  Check the website of the Brazilian Consulate General in Lagos for the details. You'll be able to work here legally after you apply, but not before.
A safe, cheap place for a single woman about to give birth, especially if she doesn't speak Portuguese, will be very, very hard to find.  There are Nigerian expats in São Paulo and Porto Alegre, probably in some other large cities, as well.  They may be able to provide more detailed advice.  Good luck.

Thanks for the response.

I hope you declared or will declare expecting on visa
90 days is all you will have. Have insurance? SUS is government plan and must register for such, but not on a tourist visa. Brasil having budget issues. Last year a trucker strike shut down hospitals due to no supplies. So if you do not have a visa, wish you luck.
You will need a hotel reservation unless sponsored by a Brasil citizen.
Listen to abthree. Baby will be citizen, you will not.

Thanks for the contribution. I knew the child will be Citizen and the parents gets permanent Residence after birth. Pls which city do you suggest for natural childbirth....Thanks

hello there,

How about permanent visa?

Can I apply it here?