Request to advise how to recover money from an expat in Riyadh

hi,

Someone took money from me 4 years back for some business purpose & he was paying me some profit. However, as i needed my money back I requested him to return the money 2 years back and since than he has not shared any profit nor is he returning the principal amount. The money he owes me is around SR 20,000.

I intend to complain him to Police but need to know how to do that. While I also wish to know the pros & cons of it.

Thanks,

Well, if you don't have any proof that you lent him the money i.e. through an agreement or other evidence, you might as well forget about it.   If the police are helpful, they may just call him to come and return the money.

The other thing that you need to be aware of is that as per regulations, no one other than registered financial institutions are allowed to lend money in Saudi whether interest free or not.   That may or may not be counted against you - depending on how the situation goes.

thanks for your reply.

The amount was given without any conditions & he was the one who was deciding the share percentage. I do have evidence in form of paper + 3 to 4 witnesses + follow up sms etc.

As I said, it really depends on what the paper said.  You might want to consult a lawyer before going to the police as to whether this documentation is enough to recover the money.  As I said, police will probably just call him but not register a case as it is not a criminal matter but civil.  Which means that it will go through courts and that is where the evidence matters.