cards for UK citizens living in Hungary after Brexit

I am a UK citizen living in Hungary. I have an address card and an EU registration card, neither of which have my photo on them. My fiancé has P.R. and is Chinese, she has a PR card and an i.d. card.
My questions are, do EU citizens/ British citizens living here have any additional cards to the ones I have?
Would it be easier to remain after Brexit if I got an ID card?
Can I get an id card as a current EU/British citizen?
I am concerned that after Brexit I will only be allowed to stay in the Schengen area for 90 out of 180 days as I don't work here, has anybody got any ideas as to what additional documents/ cards might help?

Thank you

meslo :

I am a UK citizen living in Hungary. I have an address card and an EU registration card, neither of which have my photo on them. My fiancé has P.R. and is Chinese, she has a PR card and an i.d. card.
My questions are, do EU citizens/ British citizens living here have any additional cards to the ones I have?
Would it be easier to remain after Brexit if I got an ID card?
Can I get an id card as a current EU/British citizen?
I am concerned that after Brexit I will only be allowed to stay in the Schengen area for 90 out of 180 days as I don't work here, has anybody got any ideas as to what additional documents/ cards might help?

Thank you

Yes, good questions.  No-one really knows.  I think you're really talking about a permanent resident  card rather than ID card. 

According to the No-Deal scenario, the 90/180 day restriction will come in - that seems certain because that's the no-visa third country national scenario.  If there's a deal, who knows.  No-one knows a thing for sure about that.

I was at the recent UK Embassy Town Hall meeting in the Marriott, chaired by the UK Ambassador and jokey and amiable but utterly superficial and facile HU State Secretary dropped a bombshell that we'd all have to get new HU cards but they would be a straight swap (haha, yes, we believe you).

It's probable that the EU card you have will continue to allow you to move freely around the EU for the 180 days.   

No-one has actually said it directly and in large letters but my impression is the process is post-Brexit we're all 3rd country nationals with no special treatment.  That's looking like EU policy.

Good info Mr Fluffy.
I also as a 3rd country citizen wouldn't really know about how the Bretix thing will go but this sounds exactly how we 3rd country people are treated.
Guess it would only be fair for UK citizens to be treated the same way after the exit.
New cards, well of course another way for the gov. to charge in stamp fees etc.
It will bring in allot more income to Hungary by charging for new cards in stamp fees.
As a US citizen before my PR in Hungary I was only allowed in the EU for up to 90 days and had to be out of the EU for 180 days before returning.
This is the case in the US a well with foreign nationals.
One reason my Japanese DIL and son married, she didn't wish to be away from him for 180 days before returning to the US.
I hope the HU immigration office is ready to handle the influx of people applying for new cards and filling out forms.
Perhaps it would be a good idea for them to open up some temp.  offices inside local city halls to speed up the process.
Took me 6 months to get my cards in order the first time around.

My son and DIL are moving to Japan very very soon, ( stressful time) he will be treated by immigration in Japan allot better from my knowledge then most western countries treat immigrants. He can work straight away and get health coverage as the spouse of a Japanese citizen.
It's a very different process in Asia and in Japan, seems they know their stuff and of course I am sure they will follow all rules in Japan and not go by personal interpretation of rules as sometimes seems to happen in other countries ( Hungary?).
Well my best advice is to get in line early and bring a good book.

Marilyn Tassy :

Good info Mr Fluffy.
I also as a 3rd country citizen wouldn't really know about how the Bretix thing will go but this sounds exactly how we 3rd country people are treated.
Guess it would only be fair for UK citizens to be treated the same way after the exit.
As a US citizen before my PR in Hungary I was only allowed in the EU for up to 90 days and had to be out of the EU for 180 days before returning.

Yes, that's basically it.  We're the same as any other non-EU national.   But I think we can come back after 90 days but have to stay out of Schengen for 90 days in any 180. 

The scale of the problem is not that large - about 10,000 people in HU.   In the UK, the situation is different, probably over 250K HU nationals so that's a significant number of people.

Countries like Czech Rep and Poland have very publicly put in place special legislation to safeguard the rights of British citizens in those countries.  The Hungarians have - to my knowledge - done nothing similar.  The State Secretary was as useful as a chocolate teapot in giving any solid information in that regard.  He said things were afoot but there's nothing we truly know of as policy - he palmed it off to the EU.  The immigration web site continues to be useless.   I don't think there will be a fee to swap cards.

The fees for cards at immigration were not too expensive from my memory but more like a hassle.
official stuff gets on my last nerve, even when I know it's an easy thing I over think it.
I am almost sure that it is 90 days in and 180 days out. I looked into the times a couple years  back for myself as we thought of going to Thailand for 6 months .
I.m madder then a hatter with the US immigration ATM.
My son filed all the proper paperwork, paid the fees etc. for his wife to get her date to become a US citizen.
Over $900. just for that part of her long ordeal with US immigration fees.
They have handled her case so slow that they have given up on waiting.
Hate to see money go down the toilet like that.

Marilyn Tassy :

The fees for cards at immigration were not too expensive from my memory but more like a hassle.
official stuff gets on my last nerve, even when I know it's an easy thing I over think it.
I am almost sure that it is 90 days in and 180 days out. I looked into the times a couple years  back for myself as we thought of going to Thailand for 6 months .
I.m madder then a hatter with the US immigration ATM.
My son filed all the proper paperwork, paid the fees etc. for his wife to get her date to become a US citizen.
Over $900. just for that part of her long ordeal with US immigration fees.
They have handled her case so slow that they have given up on waiting.
Hate to see money go down the toilet like that.

I seem to think the figure of 10K HUF was being used for a plain old vanilla residence permit for 3rd country nationals. For EU nationals, it's like 1000 HUF.

I don't know about the USA, maybe it's different but UK government is saying 90/180 so British folks have to go elsewhere for 90 days in between.

Just great.

Now its 21000 huf for third world countries starting this year not sure if its changed for EU nationals.

Since i came back i am getting more and more anxious about staying in Hungary. hoping for the best in sha allah

Muibmuel :

Now its 21000 huf for third world countries starting this year not sure if its changed for EU nationals.

Since i came back i am getting more and more anxious about staying in Hungary. hoping for the best in sha allah

Don't worry yourself too much.
If you have the funds there is always a way.
I personally do not actually see the big , huge appeal of living in Hungary compared to my former life in the US but then again it is a matter of perspective.
I'm in the US visiting right now and actually  have not   thought twice about Hungary even though my long time husband and some of my own family are Hungarian citizens.
In Hungary if you can afford the costs of getting documents and have the time it will work out .
Suppose it is all about what one is leaving and what they expect to happen in Hungary.
For me it's really all a lower living standard except for the ready access to good dental care and good food and drink.
21,000 forints isn't all that much to spend for a new life.
I have a US friend now living in Hungary who has no family ties to the country.
Seems she has come under some very difficult and straight out racist situations in Hungary as a person of color.
It's a bit disheartening to hear how the citizens of HU act towards those who are not able to defend themselves because of their lack of language skills and because of their obvious racial differences.
Not sure what the future holds for any of us but from what I see and hear but being a minority in Hungary isn't really a good thing to be.
I have no idea why so  many people wish to move to Hungary from other countries, it's beyond me.

Its a shame for a lot of UK people who have invested in homes in Hungary if they are unable to live here whenever we wish.
However there will still be the options of visiting for a short while like a tourist or if you have been resident for long enough to apply for citizenship.
If there are only 10,000 UK people here I dont think much effort will be made to ensure our continued residence by either side.

anns :

Its a shame for a lot of UK people who have invested in homes in Hungary if they are unable to live here whenever we wish.
However there will still be the options of visiting for a short while like a tourist or if you have been resident for long enough to apply for citizenship.
If there are only 10,000 UK people here I dont think much effort will be made to ensure our continued residence by either side.

I think you are right but the other way, there's probably 200K+ HU citizens in the UK. 

While HMG* has said their rights are protected,  Messrs Barnier and Juncker and OV have said nothing very accommodating on bilateral arrangements.  Looking increasingly awkward for everyone and far too hard line.   

OV might think the folks are all coming back with their kids (i.e. slow the population decline) but the ones I know over there are all trying to stay there or become British citizens.  It's financially worthwhile if they've been there a long time and inter-married.

Other people I know in other countries are saying they don't believe Brexit will ever happen - even at the 11th hour!

*HMG - for non-British readers, short hand for Her Majesty's Government, that is, British Government.

I think you are right but the other way, there's probably 200K+ HU citizens in the UK. 

It is all a very interesting debate and situation. I for one never thought that Brexit would be voted for by the majority. However it was and no Govt really wishes to take it forwards.
No one really knows what the outcome will be but in the case of no agreement people will have to scuttle back to their original countries if they can not afford private health care and visas.

anns :

It is all a very interesting debate and situation. I for one never thought that Brexit would be voted for by the majority. However it was and no Govt really wishes to take it forwards.
No one really knows what the outcome will be but in the case of no agreement people will have to scuttle back to their original countries if they can not afford private health care and visas.

Yes, it's a mess and a muddle.  In some ways, the behaviour of the EU has been atrocious.  It could have been done in a very cooperative way but all it seemed like was sniping.

Instead of private health care, it'd have to be travel insurance which everyone should have anyway. 

More problematic is getting a visa.  Without visas, it's 90/180 but I am not entirely sure if a visa will allow one to stay longer than 90 days anyway.  BMBAH has so little information of substance.

For many folks who travel a great deal but the 90 days in 180 will be severely problematic if they have jobs outside of Hungary but their HU family live here.  I know of one British guy who is working in the Middle East and wants to commute in to see the family.  He spends between 4-6 weeks on site, 1-2 weeks at home in HU before the next cycle.   Previously he told me between jobs, he can spend a few months here.   How is that going to work out for him and his family life?

fluffy2560 :

OV might think the folks are all coming back with their kids

I hope the come back. All of them. And that they will vote, because their right to vote in Hungarian elections has been significantly limited by the OV government. This group is clearly multilingual, can read other sources of information rather than just the government propaganda, and may be enough to get a more pluralistic election.

klsallee :
fluffy2560 :

I hope the come back. All of them. And that they will vote, because their right to vote in Hungarian elections has been significantly limited by the OV government. This group is clearly multilingual, can read other sources of information rather than just the government propaganda, and may be enough to get a more pluralistic election.

OV plumbs the depths of ridiculousness by linking Juncker and Soros in an anti-Hungarian conspiracy:

Hungary takes aim at EU's Jean-Claude Juncker in new campaign poster

klsallee :
fluffy2560 :

I hope the come back. All of them. And that they will vote....This group...can read other sources of information rather than just the government propaganda, and may be enough to get a more pluralistic election.

Hopefully.

They don't have to come back permanently.

Just come in, vote and go back.