Unmarried living together

Does anyone have the current law citation that allows unmarried man and women to live together in Vietnam. I know the law changed sometime back. But the police are angling for coffee money and I can not find it to save my soul.

Didn't read all of it but you can probably find the citation here and dig into it a bit more.

http://vietnamlawmagazine.vn/vietnams-n … -4947.html

The 2014 Law on Marriage and Family neither recognises nor prohibits single men and single women to live together as spouses. 

Article 14 stipulates the consequences of men and women living together as husband and wife without marriage registration as follows:

"Men and women who are eligible to marry under this law live together as spouses without marriage registration do not have the rights and obligations as husband and wife. The rights and obligations of children, assets, obligations and contracts between the parties shall be settled according to the provisions in Articles 15 and 16."

Pursuant to Clause 1, Article 14, if you and your girlfriend meet the marriage conditions specified in Clause 1, Article 8, you're recognised by the not-very-specific wordings of the law on the status of living together as spouses without marriage registration.  In short, even though you're not husband and wife legally,  you're not violating any law of the land.

(*Article 8:

1. Men must be 20 or older, women must be 18 or older;

2. The marriage is voluntarily decided by the men and the women;

3. No loss of civil act capacity on either party;

4. The marriage does not fall into one of the cases where marriage is banned according to the provisions of a, b, c and d, Clause 2, Article 5 of this Law.

5. The state does not recognise marriage between people of the same gender. ")

English translation is mine, but the link above is the law in its original form and language, your neighbourhood Cong An shouldn't have any problem reading it.

If you want to read more, I have on file a handful of responses from Vietnamese lawyers whose advices were sought on this matter.  All responses were the same.

Thanks Ciambella,
I knew the the law did bot prohibit. And I recalled much of what you say. But I was looking for the specific citation of law to throw at the ward police. At the party convention where this new law was enacted the preamble specifically stated that they wanted to get more inline with other cultures thinking and they felt this change was due. But for the life of me I can never find VN law when I actually need it.

Got it squared away. Found the legal citation and took to the ward head and he was mighty pissed, but realized he was pissing into the wind, so to speak. In his anger he said I must go get every single document notarized. Never had to do it before. But did in a few minutes and am now registered with a pissed off police ward. Now the real fun might begin. He may hound me forever.

Some coffee money for the Lunar New Year might make him less pissed at you and may leave you alone. He probably have more people he can shake down for coffee money

Hello is it applicable to foreigners too ? The law neither recognises nor prohibit living together  means it's  like a silent permission to do so. What do you think?

No problem living together, the law changed about 20 years ago.

Thanks for sharing! I have prized my old motorscooter away from Police clutches, at a cost of 900 k. A small portion was used to change the locks.

Something, locals assured me would be "Mission Impossible"

KruChris wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I have prized my old motorscooter away from Police clutches, at a cost of 900 k. A small portion was used to change the locks.

Something, locals assured me would be "Mission Impossible"

Are you sure this was not intended to be posted here.  Unless perhaps the police seized your motorbike because you were cohabiting.  :/