Hungarian Nationality through ancestry - Slovakia

I know I am eligable for Hungarian nationality, but I am completely clueless. My maternal family are ethnic Hungarians from Slovakia, my grandad was born in 1942 in an area that was given back to Czechoslovakia after WW2, and my mum born in present-day Slovakia.

I have been researching over the past few months but nothing I have found tells me about the process of actually applying for Hungarian nationality.

Where, how and what do I need to apply for Hungarian nationality?

I undestand that applying for Hungarian nationality would result in my forfiting my Slovak nationality.

seanlaszlo wrote:

I undestand that applying for Hungarian nationality would result in my forfiting my Slovak nationality.

Why do you think that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizensh … itizenship

I seriously suggest you contact your local Hungarian consulate/Embassy for advise.

After Hungary passed its nationality law, slovakia responded by outlawing most cases of Dual-Nationality. (apart from marriage and birth). If a Slovak Hungarian takes Hungarian nationality, they forfit Slovak nationality.
Wikipedia sums it up quite well. -"The new Hungarian law, which was enacted by a majority of 344 votes in favour with three opposed and five abstentions, elicited a reaction in the surrounding region. The strongest reaction was from Slovakia. Prime Minister Robert Fico said Hungary's action was a "security threat," because Slovakia hosts a 500,000-strong Hungarian minority community within its borders that could possibly become citizens of Hungary. That same day, Slovakia passed a motion to amend the Citizenship Act to limit dual citizenship by barring Slovak citizenship for anyone applying to another country for citizenship. The amendment did not, however, bar dual citizenship for those who acquired it at birth or by marriage."

I was going to contact the Hungarian consulate anyway, there is one about 90 minutes away apparently.

seanlaszlo wrote:

After Hungary passed its nationality law, slovakia responded by outlawing most cases of Dual-Nationality. (apart from marriage and birth). If a Slovak Hungarian takes Hungarian nationality, they forfit Slovak nationality. ......That same day, Slovakia passed a motion to amend the Citizenship Act to limit dual citizenship by barring Slovak citizenship for anyone applying to another country for citizenship. The amendment did not, however, bar dual citizenship for those who acquired it at birth or by marriage."

I was going to contact the Hungarian consulate anyway, there is one about 90 minutes away apparently.

One thing I always wondered about in these circumstances is how anyone would know if you had two or more nationalities? It could only be known if they found two passports on you. 

I happen to have relative in a somewhat similar position but in that case, they simply have multiple passports (3 actually) and use the right one in each circumstance.  If you can get past the border controls in one country, you can swap to the other one for arrival.  I don't know how it works out for passport stamps.

I also have some recent experience with multiple passports (can't be bothered explaining about this here) and I was able to pass the Schengen E-gates at an EU airport using a passport different to that relating to my flight details. I tried it out and it worked just fine.

There might be avenue of research with the Germans. I think Germany banned dual nationality some years ago but now allows it if both nationalities are EU.  But I don't know if it was a result of a court case or just a policy change.

But if you speak Hungarian, you'd probably be issued a passport almost immediately.

seanlaszlo wrote:

The amendment did not, however, bar dual citizenship for those who acquired it at birth or by marriage.

I assumed your grandparents and thus your parents retained, or could get back, their Hungarian citizenship. Then you are Hungarian at birth.

Else, you may need to go through simplified naturalization. There is an entire thread about that here.

The law has been softened. If you have permanent residency in Hungary, you might have both citizenships.

attila.andruska wrote:

The law has been softened. If you have permanent residency in Hungary, you might have both citizenships.

Link to help the OP?

I have 4 citizenships.   Took Hungarian first via simplified and Slovak afterwards- mother is Slovak but still had to endure udelenie process. 
Get HU first than SVK.   Been there and done that.