Urgent question.

Hallo everyone! I am 23 years old currently doing my voluntary social year. I am a kenyan and my boyfriend a German. I just realised this week that i am 2wks pregnant (unplanned). I am really stressed out because i don't want to abort because i am not ready to live with the guilt for my entire life. I really need all the advices and help on : -will i be allowed to keep on working as a volunteer? -can i be allowed to do my altenpflegehelferin ausbildung while pregnant?

Thank you,
Ochieng

Ochieng96 wrote:

I just realised this week that i am 2wks pregnant (unplanned). I am really stressed out because i don't want to abort because i am not ready to live with the guilt for my entire life.

From a pureply prosaic standpoint, you have the choice of living with guilt, or with a child.
While it is entirely up to you (and maybe the father) to decide which is better for your personal situation, I can assure you that Germany has sufficient support measures to enable you to bring up your child under reasonable circumstances, no matter what happens.

Ochieng96 wrote:

-will i be allowed to keep on working as a volunteer? -can i be allowed to do my altenpflegehelferin ausbildung while pregnant?

This very much depends on the nature of your work. Many professions, especially in the medical field, are off-limits for pregnant women - and I imagine lifting old people in and out of bed, toilet and bath (which is a common duty for Altenpflegehelfer) isn't possible any more after a few months of pregnancy. Also, with a small baby to look after, you might not have time any more for an apprenticeship.
I recommend you approach your employer and discuss the possibilities and restrictions with them!

To add to what Beppi wrote, German law will require the father to help support the child. This is much easier if he admits paternity and voluntarily helps, otherwise it can be a hassle about proving he is the father and forcing him to assist but that is still the law. But with even money for child support, it can be difficult to survive if you aren't able to have someone take care of the child so that you can work. There are day care centers (Kindergartens) but not necessarily enough or with flexible hours if one works late shifts, something common as a nursing assistant. One advantage is that if the father is German then so is the child and as the mother they have to allow you to continue to live in Germany even if you end up on social assistance. You should probably go not only go to your employer but to the Sozialamt for advice about care during pregnancy and how it will work once you have the baby.

Thank you all so much, it was so helpful