Need Info About Moving To The Philippines !!

HI GUYS  !!!

i'M HOPING THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH INFO ABOUT MOVING TO CEBU.  I AM RETIRING FROM MY JOB IN 2 WEEKS,  'BUT' I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO AVOID GOING DOWN THE 'RETIREE VISA' PATH.  WHAT I 'REALLY' WANT TO KNOW IS:

IS IT 'POSSIBLE'  TO GO OVER ON A 'TOURIST VISA' (58 DAYS) 'AND'  THEN STAY THERE,  WHILE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY ???  I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MY TRAVEL AGENT,  THAT I 'MUST' HAVE A 'RETURN' TICKET BEFORE I WOULD BE ALLOWED TO GO.  WHICH IS A 'BUGGER'  !!  BUT THAT'S LIFE !!!  I GUESS I AM REALLY TRYING TO FIND A WAY,  TO AVOID COMING BACK TO AUSTRALIA !! 

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED GUYS  !!! 

THANKS SOO MUCH  !!

REGARDS,
STEVE  :-))

Hi STEVE,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I have moved your topic on the Philippines forum for better visibility.

ps: please avoid using your caps lock on the forum. Thank you.

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Christine  !!

Thanks soooo much for that,  and my apologies for the Caps Lock too !!  I forgot,  it means  Yelling  in type  !!! 

Salamat  darl  !!!

Steve :-))

You are required a return ticket if you go the tourist visa route.

You wont be able to open a bank account and that's very inconvenient if you wish to live in PH longer.

Its faster to apply in Australia than apply in PH, and if you are going to ask me, you better do it in Australia.

Check out Mindanao Bob site as he has a lot more information.

If you want to come on a tourist visa and fly in and out, just fly one way from Aus and then find the cheapest throwaway ticket on one of the budget airlines to either HK or SG one year out. Should be able to get a cheap tioket less than $100.

I really dont think you will be able to convert to a permanent visa in one months time, and if you overstay, then that about prohibits application. If your married to a pinoy, then easier to get a spousal via. Start reading up on the process before you jump over.  But it would be good to visit the place first for a month to see if you like it.

dhnindc is right about visit the Philippines first for few months and then decide. As an Australian you are allowed to come without visa and stay for 21 days, after which you can extend for another 59 days or 2 months. Maximum stay after 21 days is 16 months so meaning you can extend your stay every two months. Hope this link will help ya..http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=207&Itemid=37

honeyclotte

ozsteve wrote:

HI GUYS  !!!

i'M HOPING THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH INFO ABOUT MOVING TO CEBU.  I AM RETIRING FROM MY JOB IN 2 WEEKS,  'BUT' I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO AVOID GOING DOWN THE 'RETIREE VISA' PATH.  WHAT I 'REALLY' WANT TO KNOW IS:

IS IT 'POSSIBLE'  TO GO OVER ON A 'TOURIST VISA' (58 DAYS) 'AND'  THEN STAY THERE,  WHILE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY ???  I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MY TRAVEL AGENT,  THAT I 'MUST' HAVE A 'RETURN' TICKET BEFORE I WOULD BE ALLOWED TO GO.  WHICH IS A 'BUGGER'  !!  BUT THAT'S LIFE !!!  I GUESS I AM REALLY TRYING TO FIND A WAY,  TO AVOID COMING BACK TO AUSTRALIA !! 

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED GUYS  !!! 

THANKS SOO MUCH  !!

REGARDS,
STEVE  :-))

hi steve a permanant residency is quite expensive your better to come for 3 weeks then extend visa every 59 days you can do this for about 18 months just in case you dont like it .ive been here a year now and its not for me .so im gonna spend 6 months here in cebu and go back to uk for 6 months .if your determined to get to stay perminant visa you have to deposit 20,000 us dollars into a bank account which they keep for you as a type of bond and it gets returned to you if you leave