Should we sell everything back home and rent fully furnished?

Hi there

Just a quick question -

Should we sell all of belongings that we have in South Africa and then just rent a fully furnished apartment or house when we live in Mauritius.

We're obviously bring some clothes and personal items but no big ticket items?

Is that wise?

fully furnished is easier to find than unfurnished. We brought all our stuff with, but we are buying a house - so need to fill that. If you just going to rent then furnished is pretty easy.

Thanks so much :)

I know this should probably be on a different topic but anyone have an idea who we contact re shipping/flying some stuff over - e.g. I want to take some of my son's toys etc so he has some familiar things with him and also some personal stuff of ours?

Hi evestyles!

You can contact our shipping partner and ask for a free quote here: https://www.expat.com/en/luggage/africa/mauritius/

Hope it will help!
Armand

Thanks Armand :)

Not sure exactly the weight etc of everything or what we're taking over.

Do you know if they do like a half container and you just pack your stuff in or do you just send boxes over?

i would contact the local SA shipping people and compare prices. There are half container loads I think. They pack into a wooden crate and put it in a container. We used a 6m container which is a small container. You get 12m. We used Stuttafords and they packed everything for us. I would definitely bring toys and kids things over as those things I find pretty pricey here. When you call the different agents, dont be afraid to tell them their competing price. I got Stuttafords down by R6000 from their first quote do to competition. Give me a shout if you need any other advice.

Thanks keno - that's fantastic!

If you can bring your own furniture I would bring it.  We have been in Mauritius for over 4 years now, had our furniture shipped after 3 years and it was such a joy to get it.

Rental properties more often than not do come furnished but often the furniture is not of the quality or style you may like and be comfortable with.

If you rent an upmarket (read expensive) house you may get decent furntiture but in our experience many rental properties are furnished with what ever the family can find to put in the house.  The properties we, and our friends have rented have had very average to really terrible furniture.

It seems to be quite common to put a plastic table and chairs as a 'dining suite', something you would use by the pool.  Also lounge room furniture seems to often consist of inexpensive and uncomfortable cane furniture (not the lovely upmarket comfortable stuff) or 'Indian Style' wooden armrests and backs and floral cushions. Very ornate 'Indian style' wooden furniture is also quite common.  Curtains and soft furnishings are also often very ornate and garish (IMHO) Of course if this is a style you like and are comfortable with then you will have no problems.

If you are planning on renting a very upmarket property you should get good furntiture.  Just be aware that you may not see furniture as you would expect it to be.

Good Luck.

There is such conflicting advice on the forum but I guess it's because it's people's opinions. Many people say that most properties come furnished so there is no need to bring furniture unless you're buying.

I've found some lovely upmarket and stylish properties online for under 30000.

I suppose it also depends how much it would cost to send the stuff over - what did it cost you?

Hi there, it was very expensive to get our stuff, it was a full container of furniture, household goods and all our personal effects from Australia.

If you have seen pictures of the properties and are happy with the furntiure that is great.  It is just my experience amongst my expat friends that furniture is not at all good.  Getting a furnished property is no problems - they more often than not do come furnished.

As you said it depends on your expectations and what you are happy with.  We have a fantastic 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 living area, 2 balconies and a veranda, fully fenced property with nice garden and swimming pool and we pay under 30K per month but amogst people we know that is unusual.

Good luck.

Shoo Jude - that is mega cheap!!!!!

What area are you in? Oh and that is for unfurnished :) but good to compare.

I'll have to get quotes to send things over and see what works out best.

We live in Petit Village, St Antoine, near Goodlands, 15 minute drive from Grand Baie.  It is a very good deal,there are a lot of rental properties in the area from around 35k to 60k per month.  It was actually fully furnished (and suprisingly good furniture) but we had the landlord remove most of it when we our own stuff arrived.

Good luck finding your new home.

hi eve,
furniture: plastic is easy to find.and cheap. most homes rented comes with a minimum furniture, i guess with sanitary & kitchen hoods; so you might grab some things out in shopping malls, just like i bought a bed, + tv, tables and chairs.

in imports u have dates of arrivals to stick with, in the meantime, u have to go without furniture, is it?

glad if i may help someway :)

cheers,
islander.