Getting authenticated copies of apostilled documents at the cartorio

hey,

i'm in sao paulo now. 

i have an apostilled fbi background check and an apostilled birth certificate.  if i get married in a few years, should these documents be sufficient to use to get permanent residency/citizenship?

i thought i read a post from james somewhere saying that the birth certificate and fbi background check have to be issued within the last 3 months unless they are officially approved by brasil.  the birth certificate was apostilled in january, and the fbi background check was apostilled in the beginning of december.

or do i need to go to the cartorio and get authenticated copies of the fbi background check and apostilled birth certificate?  my issue is that the fbi background has 2 papers (the apostille and the fbi background check) that are bolted together and the birth certificate has 2 papers (the apostille and the fbi background check) that are stapled and stamped with a seal in a specific way.  if i ask the cartorio to xerox these documents, i assume that they will have to tear the apostille papers apart from the original document.

i also have to try to renew my visa in six months, so i don't want there to be any problems if the cartorio tears the apostilles away from the fbi background check and birth certificate.

so, to recap, i have 3 questions:

1. if i plan to keep renewing my student visa and eventually get married in brasil, can i use my apostilled fbi background check and apostilled birth certificate to apply for permanent residency/citizenship in a few years?

2. 1. if i plan to keep renewing my student visa and eventually get married in brasil, can i use cartorio-authenticated copies of the the apostilled fbi background check and apostilled birth certificate to apply for permanent residency/citizenship in a few years?

3. should i make authenticated copies of the apostilled fbi background check and apostilled birth certificate at the cartorio?  (the birth certificate is staple in a certain way to the apostille with the stamp overlapping both documents and the fbi background check is bolted to the apostille)

thanks

So, you made it to Brazil -- Welcome!

In considering your questions, keep in mind that the Federal Police have the power to invalidate these answers and request more documents anytime:

1 &2. You should be ok renewing your visa with your current FBI background check (if you don't leave Brazil) and your current birth certificate.  the Federal Police are just updating your visa file:  you're hardly likely to be born again, and, if you haven't returned to the US, you're not likely to have additions to your criminal record there.  If you do return to the US, you may need another background check.  You may also need to provide a background check from the local police in São Paulo.
Applying for permanent residency, and then applying for citizenship, are two new processes and two new files, at least one year apart. and probably will require at least new background checks; you can still make the case that you were only born once, so shouldn't need a new birth certificate.  Check with the Federal Police when/if the situation arises.

3. With respect to authenticated copies, the Cartório does not need to make the copies themselves, they just need to compare the copy to the original, and provide their stamp, which is really what your paying for.  What I've done with delicate or voluminous documents (e.g., when I had to provide authenticated copies of every page of my passport to Customs to bring my household goods in) was scan them to my computer, print out clean color copies (Cartórios sometimes only have B&W copiers), and have them authenticated.  If you had the foresight to bring duplicate originals, you can scan the unstapled originals of the apostilled documents and present them for authentication, with scans of the apostilles.  If not, you can CAREFULLY  fold the apostille back to scan the underlying document.  You'll probably be more careful than the Cartório.

Enjoy your course; I hope it goes well.   :idontagree:

Do the documents need to get professionally translated and then get the translation apostilled?

Translations do not need to be apostilled.  They DO need to be prepared by licensed "Sworn Translators" in Brazil.  A Sworn Translator's work is instantly recognizable from their identifying information and special stationary; unofficial translations are not accepted.

abthree,

i have a few follow up questions:

1. i did scan the originals of my documents.  i haven't printed them out, but i have the fbi background check and the apostille scanned. 

i also have the birth certificate scanned before i got the apostille.  the only problem is that when the birth certificate got apostilled, the papers were arranged in such a way that the apostille covers 95% of the birth certificate, and a stamp was placed on both the apostille and the birth certificate.  80% of the stamp is on the apostille, and 20% is on the birth certificate.  i guess i could unstaple the birth certificate and apostille, scan and xerox them, and then restaple them carefully.  do you think it matters if i do or don't rescan the birth certificate with 20% of the secretary of state stamp on it?

2. it sounds like you don't think getting authenticated copies of my birth certificate and fbi background check is going to make a difference in terms of whether the brazilian government will want newly issued birth certificates or fbi background checks in the future when/if i apply for permanent residency or marriage.  would you agree?

thanks

Great that you have scans -- good planning.

1. I wouldn't try to separate the birth certificate and the apostille.  I'd bring a print of the scan of the birth certificate and a copy of the apostille, and ask the Cartório to authenticate those, looking at the originals that are attached to each other.  If they balk at that, ask THEM the best way to get authenticated copies of both.
2. I think it's good to have authenticated copies of important documents as a general principle.  I think that chances are pretty good -- maybe 50/50 -- that you won't need to get a new birth certificate, especially since you'll have authenticated copies.  I think that for permanent residency, you'll probably need a new FBI background check down the road, especially if you've left Brazil and returned, but I'd try to do it with the copy first.

"I wouldn't try to separate the birth certificate and the apostille."

why not?  the birth certificate and apostille are stapled together, whereas the fbi background check and apostille are bolted together.

thanks

I wouldn't try to separate anything - that could invalidate the apostilles.   I'd try first to get the Cartório to authenticate prints of your scans, and if they won't, to see if you/they can get adequate copies by carefully folding the apostilles back.

"I wouldn't try to separate anything - that could invalidate the apostilles."

oh, ok.  it's a good thing that you said that before i did anything rash.  i'll go to a copy center during the week with a flash drive and print out the birth certificate without the partial stamp and the apostille with the stamp in addition to the fbi background check and its apostille.

one last question - you mentioned, "print out clean color copies (Cartórios sometimes only have B&W copiers)"

does it matter if my birth certificate scan was in black and white (not color)?

thanks

Never separate an apostille. (It should even say such on the document(s))
adthree gives you way if you want to copy, but Cartório will accept original only and let them do what they need.

"does it matter if my birth certificate scan was in black and white (not color)?"

No.  As long the printed version is a good, clean copy that the cartório can validate against the original on inspection, you're good to go.

ok.  thanks