Keeping fit in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Malaysia is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Malaysia?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Malaysia? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I extensively use the gym facilities and also the pool at my condo, in fact access to those was a prerequisite and we walked away from several places that had let their facilities wither. I occasionally go for a jog but it can get so hot, I am hoping park-run which has reached KL will come too Penang.

This could be a long winding article, but I'd try to keep it short and simple:

1. Maintaining a non-asian, low-carb diet here is uneasy and expensive. Gula (sugar) is added to almost everything, including bread and yogurt! I make my own yogurt now, and no surprise when colleagues ask if it has any sugar so they could try! Mediterranean diet is the best - try it out!

Maintaining a low-sugar, moderate-carbs diet is key, if you nail this economically, you're at luck. Also, avoid sugary drink as much as possible.

Find a trusted bakery where you could get sugar-free, wholemeal bread. Eat less rice, more vegetables and healthy proteins.

2. I walk, commute, climb stairs whenever applicable instead of driving/GrabCar. I'd walk for 15-20 minutes (each way) to get groceries from the Uptown Damansara area, and back carrying whatever I could. I'd even carry two 9-litre water bottles back home, no regrets.

3. Exercise. I keep some weight equipment at home to exercise at my convenience, and I hit the gym when my schedule allows.

Here you go, keeping a clean diet, and be on the move will definitely help you maintain a healthy life style.

/HTTP404