Keeping fit in Germany

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Germany is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Germany?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Germany? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Germany is a country of sports clubs. They range from huge and famous ones that you normally watch on TV (like Bayern München) to small, neighbourhood affairs for your weekly exercise get-together. Besides, they are an excellent place for a newcomer to socialize, find like-minded people and make new friends. Since they are run by volunteers, subsidized by the authorities and can use public facilities like sports halls and fields for free, they are also cheap to join with only an administrative fee of a few tens of Euros per year to be paid. You can usually (at least in the cities) find groups for almost any kind of sports.
If in Germany, by all means join a sports club!

Regarding food, the choice is yours to make from a very wide range available in supermarkets and restaurants. Many Germans buy organic products and a surprizing number are vegetarian, but on the other range of the scale traditional dishes like fatty roasted pork "Schweinebraten" (which is probably the best in the world here) are also ubiquitous - though you should of course enjoy it sparingly.

If anyone in Hamburg would like to play Baseball (hardball, the real thing), my team at the Eimsbütteler Turnverband is looking for players. I'm one of two Americans on the roster and have been doing it for years. The fun and fitness factor are big!
Oh, and softball for the Damen is also offered.
Check out these sites:
https://etv-hamburg.de/sportarten/baseball-softball/https://www.hamburg-knights.de/

I agree with Beppi about the abundance and importance of sports clubs in Germany.  This was new for me when I came from America where most sports are done through the normal school system. But costs can vary depending on the sport and particular club. I did Taekwondo for many years. The two registered TKD clubs I belonged to were something like 35 Euros a month, cheaper for kids. Even cheaper was a semester of belonging to the Stuttgart University TKD club. But not all University sports clubs are open to non-students. There is also a private TKD school near my house that cost a good 100 Euros a month. These are just examples of how much it can vary. Although many people in Germany do sports, few seem to be fanatic about it from what I see. Yet, one simply tends to walk or bicycle more in Germany than in most American cities which are really designed for cars.

Food at super markets is very reasonably priced in Germany with plenty of organic products not just in health food stores but even in the cheaper supermarket chains.  On the other hand, traditional German food is heavy on the meat and carbohydrates and there is plenty of fast food and junk food available. A healthy diet is possible but depends on one's eating habits. On the negative side, many Germans still smoke although thankfully for us non-smokers they had to give into EU health rules and finally outlaw smoking in restaurants and most public buildings and transportation.

Something I didn't mention is that there are also many fitness studios and yoga studios throughout Germany. Prices seem to vary a lot from around 50 to 100 Euros a month. Often women or students get a better price. Also, the length of the membership affects the price as well. Most might offer a free or cheap trail usage but then they try to lock people into a year or multiple year membership. If one has the money to pay up front for a longer term membership it can save money but one should be sure they really like the place. Lots of people start out with great intentions and simply lose interest after a while and pay a lot of money for something they don't use. In Stuttgart, I have seen many fitness studios including some sizable chains come and go. One probably can't count on any refund if they say pay upfront for a 3 year membership and then it closes down after a year. Even signing up for a longer term I would look for an option to pay monthly or quarterly rather than a longer period. Yet the cheapest standard price might not be the best deal. Some places for example might have a good sauna area but it will cost extra as might different courses. One should also calculate what their actual usage will be and what the total cost will be if many things have an additional charge.

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if there are any gym 100% women (no man  ;) ) .

Thank you and have a nice day
Dounia

dououd wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if there are any gym 100% women (no man  ;) ) .

Thank you and have a nice day
Dounia

Yes, there are women only fitness studios in bigger German cities at least. Might be hard to find in a small town though.