Hello from Alberta, Canada

I just joined the site today!!  Looking forward to meeting people in CR and working on a plan to possibly acquire a property with income potential with plans to eventually move to and retire in Costa Rica!

I am planning a trip to CR in the spring of this year to get a lay of the land, look for potential opportunities as well as determine what the different areas might have to offer.

I look forward to conversing with other Ex-pats (especially others from Alberta, Canada).

From the little time I have looked at this Forum, I have already learned a great deal!

Much respect and admiration,

Nick

We are from Blackfalds Alberta, have been here going on five years, and are willing to share as did many who helped us five years ago!
Terry

Thank you so much for your response, I'm still trying to process the right questions to ask and trying to learn more of each of the areas, zones and climates.  Just beginning my search and looking to garner any information that may help me make the right choices, the first time!

I am from Calgary and I live in Tamarindo on the Pacific Coast.  I'm glad for you to be in touch if there's any help that I can provide for your visit or move.

Joan

I have noticed your posts from Lagarto.  I own a piece of land in your development as well as a condo in Tamarindo where I live now.

Joan

Thank you so much!  We've decided to stay in Coco, but may make a day trip to Tamarindo.  I'm looking for advise on real life experiences making the move to Costa Rica.  It seems a little complex at first and am trying to learn as much as I can about the process before making an investment.

How long have you owned the land in Lagarto? Are you planning to build or just holding it for resale?

I bought it in 2012.  My initial plan was to build there, but now I will probably just sell it. The development hasn't happened with the speed that I had hoped, and I don't like the idea of living in the middle of nowhere and needing a vehicle to even go out for groceries or evening events.

I agree, that could be disheartening for sure.  My thoughts are to purchase one place with two units or two separate units that are already constructed in a well developed area and rent one or both out until I'm ready to live full time in one unit.

You will definitely want to spend some time in the area and understand the rental potential very well before you commit to any purchases.

How much time do you feel might be sufficient to develop a good understanding for any particular area?  I'm looking at property with previous rental history and will be asking for proof of past rental occupancy rates before I make any commitments for sure.  Will also be asking for property management costs as well as hoa fees if any.

We will be looking initially in Jaco, Coco and Tamarindo areas.

Nick

You should hang around during both wet and dry seasons, since to be a landlord you will be responsible to be sure that water is plentiful for your tenants. 'Purchasing' water during drought conditions isn't cheap and neither is the cost of running AC at the beach areas.
Suggest you read this article posted today.

Thank you for sharing the link, it was quite informative and sorry to hear about the impacts its having on the area.  I agree water usage and storage can be a big issue and depending on the property, one should look at rain water collection and storage similar to what is done in Bermuda with each property having it's own collection and storage of rain water for use during drought conditions. The worst impact is obviously on the farmers and crop production which, in turn impacts the economy and tourism.

As a responsible property owner, steps need to be taken to account for these periods but reality dictates that in the big picture there really is not much one can do about the overall impact these situations cause.

Costa Rica's government needs to get on this water problem before it gets ugly. In a country with so much rain, there is no excuse for lacking water. They need to put some money into reservoirs and such and if they need to collect taxes to do it, so be it. I wish they'd charge whatever taxes necessary as long as they actually USE that money to build roads and water reservoirs and other needed infrastructure.

But if the money just goes into politicians' pockets... then no.