Driving from Brownsville to Belize

Family driving from US to Belize. I have given them all the general advise but any specifics you could provide? Places to stay?

Lindawill wrote:

Family driving from US to Belize. I have given them all the general advise but any specifics you could provide? Places to stay?

I don't know what advice you are giving so it would be hard to give specific advice. If it were I, Brownsville would not be my starting point. I would be taking the Arizona/ Sonora route. Belize is not directly south of Texas after all, And the border and beyond of the Brownsville, route is one of the least safe routes.

Belize is much more expensive than Mexico, and the more interesting areas require that you fly in so you would have to park your car In Corazol.  If you just want to go to Corazol you can drive there otherwise you must leave your car and fly There is a lot of water and basically not much in the road department.  Belize or Belise as Mexico calls it Has a capital city which is on the rough side ( Belize city), but then Mexico isn't very fond of Belise. There are some nice little hotels in Ambergrise and good restaurants there. Corazol has a nice little hotel over near the water and not too far from the paid parking area you will need, I have stayed in 2-3 hotels in Belize they are all pretty decent. They were requiring advance payment in full, Belize is very into money and making sure you actually stay for several days so they made advance payment a requirement. Belize is a nice place to visit. Stay away from more jungle areas and you will likely come back bott free. If you don't know what botts are I suggest you look them up before visiting Belize.

In regards to the family travelling from Brownsville TX to Belize.
I myself have never driven to BZ, but I have been from one end of the country to the other by bus. Also travelling into Guat as well.
The roads in BZ have improved immensly over the yrs, so travelling with a car is good.
If your wanting to go to any of the islands you will have to leave your car somewhere.
I suggest pick a hotel that will keep your car impounded for a price of course, because if you dont it wont be there when you return.
There are many inland places to visit and a car is a must or else you go by bus and walk !!

Going to the small village of Hopkins, Placencia are both on the beach and wont have to worry about your car there, but BZ City, and Dangriga, dont leave your vehicle unattended for any length of time.

Places to stay, major hotels in BZ City, I try to not stay only pass through as it is somewhat rough there as well as Dangriga, get gas and keep going.
Placencia is a busy little beach town but lots of small places to stay, I recommend Coconut Cottage, if you can get space its right on the beach and you will love it.
Hopkins is a smaller town on the beach but have never stayed there , check out trip advisor and am sure someone will recommend for you.
The capital of BZ is Belmopan, there is nothing there, just pass through and San Ignacio is the next town larger and more busaling, Melchor is on the border of Bz and Guat.
I have taken a bus from there and went to Tikal and stayed in the Preserve at Jaguar Lodge for 2 nights and go into the jungle at 430 am and listen to the noises of the howler monkey, and all the animal coming alive it is just awsome. Climb a pyramid and sit and watch the sun come up over the canopy of the jungle, take lots of pics as its incredible.

Not sure what you are looking for, but good luck and have fun.
We aware, not many are really your friend unless they can get something from you !!!
Travel wisely

Best of Luck
Betsy O