Transit through Heathrow - South African with HU Permanent Residence

Hi Expats,

Do I need a transit Visa 'Direct Airside Transit visa' to travel through Heathrow Airport on my way to the USA and back again?

Has anyone transited through Heathrow Airport with their Hungarian Permanent Residence card (large laminated card)? Does this make me exempt?

I am South African and checking the gov.uk site is says there are exemptions for:

[a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland].

Is the Hungarian Permanent Residence card (large laminated card) considered a 'common format residence permit'?

I have written to them to ask but all they came back with is check the site again and gave me the same links I used to find the info to ask my question.

Cheers all for the help!

I think you have to consider what happens with Brexit.   

UK has an agreement with the EEA  post-Brexit but will probably not even be a member of the EU after March 29.  In the event of no deal, the chances are that all that paperwork for the EU member states would mean absolutely nothing in the UK. 

Best thing is to get a visa and then you are sure one way or the other.

Thanks. I am traveling at end of February so it will be pre-Brexit.

Don't want to spend money and time on a visa if unnecessary as I don't live in BP unfortunately. Maybe someone who has done it will know.

Will try call embassy in BP too.

Cheers.

asouthafricaninhungary wrote:

Thanks. I am traveling at end of February so it will be pre-Brexit.

Don't want to spend money and time on a visa if unnecessary as I don't live in BP unfortunately. Maybe someone who has done it will know.

Will try call embassy in BP too.

Cheers.

It's such a complex web of intrigue at the moment it's anyone's guess what is acceptable or not.

I think you need a visa regardless.

Good luck!