Newbie from California

Howdy!

If you hadn't guessed I am a newbie. I had to look up the word "expat" to figure out that I am not yet., Well, not living in Hungary, that is, however since I was born in South Africa I may be one after all. Anyway, it should be clear that I am not the person you want to consult with any brain teasers so no questions regarding the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation please.

Now that I have firmly established myself in the group to be avoided I will plead my case. My last time in Hungary was this past July. I had rented a motorcycle in Munich and rode to Hungary to meet a cousin and a friend. Unfortunately, I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked to ride in Hungary as I had to meet 20+ other riders in Austria to spend two weeks riding the Alps, drinking beer, and basically having a good ol' time. Yes, life can sometimes be difficult but so much for my sad story.

Anyway, what I would like to do is to ride around Hungary for several weeks this year but don't want to rent a bike. I was thinking of  either shipping a bike to Hungary or buying one there. However, I see the prices of bikes in Hungary are pretty ridiculous compared to California. So shipping is the next option but I now read that there is a huge bureaucracy that makes that option difficult. I suppose I could buy one in Germany or some other EU country (hence, I would have EUO plates) and just ride it to Hungary. Any suggestions? I was planning on leaving the bike in Hungary for future use.

Other than that it is pouring rain here in SoCal -- after the big fires we are also having mudslides, I trust the weather is warm and sunny in Hungary? :)

Welcome.

You should be able to buy or import a new California spec bike in Europe and drive it around in HU or the EU for 6 months whereupon you either import it and pay the taxes or ship it back to the USA.    I am assuming you have a US passport (even if you have a HU one).  EU passport holders are not allowed to drive non-EU vehicles in the EU.

It would have country plates wherever you bought it from.  They may be time limited or export plates - e.g. Germany or elsewhere.

I've bought several cars under diplomatic guise which sounds more difficult but actually the rules are somewhat similar for mere mortals (such as I am now).

Your problems are having an address to register it at and how to get sufficient insurance.

There are a few places you can try:

Griffin Tax Free

Shipside

TBH, it's easier probably to ship one from the USA or try to find one on sale from a departing expat. In the former case, it's surprisingly cheap to ship a car so a bike might be easier.  In the latter case, you might get one with all the paperwork.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I would have replied earlier but for some reason could not sign back into this site. With a little help I managed to get back in. Your input is valuable, so thanks again.

Warm and sunny in Hungary? What month are you thinking about? It won't thaw out until mid-March or even early April, but with climate changes things change. Check a weather app.

BudaBaB wrote:

Warm and sunny in Hungary? What month are you thinking about? It won't thaw out until mid-March or even early April, but with climate changes things change. Check a weather app.

FWIIW, Accuweather is predicting above freezing temps all next week where I am in North Lake Balaton. So a mini thaw. Might even get some gardening in.

Those mini thaws actually happen From time to time all winter here where I am. In part due to the "Lake Effect". It is rare we are frozen over full time till March or April. But even in Budapest next week daytime temps are predicted to average 5°C.

But it will not be sunny. Pity. :(