How to Apply to Nantes University

Bonjour!

I recently got back from the Christmas holidays with my fiancé in Nantes. I am highly interested in becoming a student in Nantes; however, I am unaware of the steps and the process in order to start moving forward.

I will be working on my last semester in college in the States. I'll have my Associate's degree in May of this year, and my ultimate goal is to start the process of immigrating to France with the consulate to allow me to stay with my fiancé by December.

From what I have read, I need to have my application in by February 1st, 2019; however, I don't know where to get this "dossier blanc" white file. Can someone help me or give me some information on how all of this would work?

Thanks in advance.

It's been two days and I have gotten no reply from anyone on this site.

Since the post, I have e-mailed Nantes University and was responded with certain steps that I need to take in order to become a student in Nantes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Have a good day.

Hi Andrea,

Sorry about that, but not many students on the website. To study in France, applications are processed by Campus France https://www.usa.campusfrance.org/

You need to create an account on the website and fill in the information (grades french equivalence, university you are interested in, name, ad, field of study, semester etc....) required so that to create a "dossier de pré inscription" which will be sent online to the university/universities you have chosen. Following that, they will either accept or reject your application.

Once your application is accepted, you may carry on with visa application  :happy:

Do you already have a certificate of equivalence for your qualification and a french language proficiency test results  ? Most probably, they do it at Campus France

:cheers:
Bhavna

It's fine. Thank you for replying. I will definitely submit an application through the CampusFrance website; however, do I first need to obtain my Associate's degree before doing so? Or can I go ahead and apply through the CampusFrance website? I'll have my Associate's in May.

Though I plan on getting married (not sure when or what day exactly) would I still be on a student visa? If I obtain a student visa, can I still get married on that visa? Basically, my whole goal is to be able to stay in France for more than just a semester or two. I don't want to leave my fiance again.

I currently do not have any certificate of equivalence and I haven't done my proficiency test either. I'm just starting to learn. I know a bit, but not enough to be comfortable in a conversational level. I plan to use this year to study as much as I can so that when it comes time to take my proficiency test I won't be so anxious or unprepared. I have contacted Nantes University and talked with someone from Administration as well as an English teacher at Nantes about enrolling, and they both encouraged me to take my first semester full-time (18 hours a week) for an intensive French language course before I take my proficiency test so that I can take courses in French, because not every course is offered in English to accommodate me.

Thank you for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Hi again Andrea,

The minimum requirements would be BAC which i believe is the equivalent of your highschool diploma.  Contact CampusFrance for equivalence, they provide these facilities, they will explain everything to you. Once you create an account on their system, you will be asked if you are currently pursuing any studies and if yes will be required to enter your grades so far (1st semester, 2nd semester....) If you haven't yet completed, no problem, just input what you have at hand till now.

The Associate's degree is your undergraduate degree right ? In the french system, that will be a Licence, depending on how far you have reached in completion of your degree and if it is compatible with the french system, you might as well join a licence 2nd or 3rd year.

It seems that you have 2 options either you get married first then you leave for France and pursue your studies there, in this case, you will not be needing a student visa as you will be attributed a permis de séjour (long term stay visa/resident permit), you may live, work, study and so on, on a resident permit.

The student visa is mandatory if you are going for studies only.

The thing with the student visa is that you have lots of requirements to fill in before, acceptance in a university (language proficiency is mandatory), proof of sufficient funds (money), proof of residency (finding accommodation). When all that is set, then only, they will give you the student visa. If you have everything set, formalities for the visa take only 2- 3 weeks (provided you have all the documents).

Admissions are open till 1 February 2019 for 2019-2020. Closes then re opens July/August till 1st September 2019

Though I plan on getting married (not sure when or what day exactly) would I still be on a student visa? If I obtain a student visa, can I still get married on that visa?

1) No, you will get a proper resident permit with which you may live in France, work and  attend university. Click on the link below

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli … its/F11166

2) Yes, you can get married on a student visa.