Damp in property

Morning all looking for some advice is there anything on the market that I can inject to my walls that I can do myself to cure the horrible black stains in my property I don't won't to go down the route of hacking of the plaster or hiring a company any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks mark

The first thing you need to do is to establish the cause of the damp and to resolve that problem before you worry about redecorating or repainting

If the damp is not caused by condensation,  then doing anything to the actual wall from inside will only be a temporary fix but will not help long term

Hi the cause to my knowledge is there is no dpc laid at the foundation when the construction was built in the 80s that's why I'm thinking about injecting a silicone based product to stop the rising damp hope this makes sense

Sorry but this maybe a bit confusing  :-

I had that problem with a villa some years ago.

From the outside I drilled half inch diameter holes, every nine inches along the walls, pointing downwards at about  10 degrees,  through the walls just above the inside floor level, to just through the brickwork to the plaster, but not through it .

Then over a couple of weeks, every day,  I 'injected'  a silicone water proofer  (Thompsons)  using a tube, which I withdrew slowly as I poured the water proofer in  with using a funnel, so that I was leaving a deposit throughout the thickness of the wall.  The water proofer soaked into the brickwork of the wall and created a water proof layer.  Like a thick DPC.

The black plasterwork I sprayed with bleach a couple of times then repainted and the problem was solved.

Best of luck.

PS  What I did amounted a DIY process similar to pressurised  waterproofing  but at a fraction of the cost.  I have used the same system in my sons apartment where there was water penetration

Thanks for the advice your solution is something that I will look into some more once again thanks

I have worked in damp proofing here in Spain for 24 years.
The first thing to look for is salts on the surface of the interior walls, the exterior walls are usually washed by rain and show little or no salts. If there is a small amount of salts and the walls show damp the problem could be a leak. Turn all the taps off and take a photo of the water meter, give it an hour and see if the meter has moved, if it has, call a plumber.
Treating damp walls using injection is a bad idea as first of all, most houses here are built of Pot bricks or concrete blocks both of which are hollow, or local materials like piedra y barro (Mud and stone) so you cannot be sure that the walls are treated properly and due to the hollow bricks/blocks or 3 foot thick walls the material costs are prohibitively high with not guarantee of impregnating the wall materials sufficiently to stop the damp.
I've seen houses where injection has been tried but especially in thick walls the result is patchy, good parts followed by damp patches. As water will always find a way to get out, in areas where injection works the salt that were before deposited on the walls build up under the floor often lifting the tiles. If you have damp and the floor tiles are becoming loose especially near the walls the problem is serious.
There is more but I'm late for meeting and have to go. If anyone wants more info let me know.
Cheers
Jeff

@sayena

I would be interested in discussing options for my house in Marbella ***

Moderated by Bhavna last week
Reason : Contact details should be shared in private.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@antontardif

Hello, please note that this is an old thread and that member hasn't been active for the pas 4 years.

I would invite you to open a new thread on the Spain forum to seek advice from active members.

All the best

Bhavna

Hello everyone  i have a number of damp issues around my proPerty due to a rogue tenant making changes

that aside i need a good damp

proofing company non of this electric osmosis rubbish either!!

Anyone know a company that does this work and offers serious guarantees ?

my number is ***

thanks 

Moderated by Bhavna last week
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct