SRRV and residency requirement.

Hi guys,

I have been considering retiring to the Philippines for a few years now, and by my own admission this is still a few years out.

I am 45 currently, and want to apply for the SRRV before turning 50. Primarily this is so I can avoid the requirement of having to show evidence of a pension. This is simply because I cannot access my military pension at a 50% rate until I am 55, and the full amount until I am 60. I will have savings aplenty to survive on until I can access the full pension

For all the internet trawling I have done, there is one major question I cannot find an answer to. Maybe I am blind, or possibly stupid, but...

If I apply for the SRRV and have it approved, do I have to spend a minimum amount of time per year in the Philippines? Could I say, get the SRRV at 49, still work in Australia and spend my annual leave in the Philippines until reaching 55? Or would I lose the SRRV for not being in the Philippines for such long periods?

Any advice would be well received. Thanks for your time guys, and have a good one. ;)

Dias, be careful with the Aust Gov if you are a resident (SRRV) in the Philippines.

The Aust Gov may consider you a non resident of Australia for taxation purposes and slug the taxation rate for a non resident on the income you make from Australia.  Or you may have to pay tax to the Philippines government.  There is a double taxation agreement.

I also know that once you are not a resident of Australia some work cover insurance does not apply.  Then you have medicare considerations and health insurance, etc etc.

Complicated it is, but for most it needs to be looked into.

Dias, why would you bother getting a retirement visa before you retire? Before you move there supposedly permanently?
Firstly it will cost you US 50K plus establishment fees of about 1.7 to 1.8k as you are under 50 and have no pension to offset this amount, nearly AU 70K do you want to have that sitting in a foreign bank earning nothing? What's the rush?
Spend your annual leave in the Philippines on a 30 day free visa or you can extend to 59 days when you arrive for about 70 bucks.

As to your question of not being in PH full time? No problem, you can come and go as you please as they have your US 50k.

There is no double tax as Australia has a tax treaty with PH, you only pay once in either country.

Could I suggest a little more research on this topic both on google and within this forum.

BTW, welcome to this forum.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I apologise for wasting your time, but I clearly didn't open my eyes, and somehow missed the option for over 50 without a pension option.

My concern was about not meeting the pension requirements at age 55, even though I would have plenty of savings. Obviously this isn't an issue after all.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I apologise for wasting your time, but I clearly didn't open my eyes, and somehow missed the option for over 50 without a pension option.

My concern was about not meeting the pension requirements at age 55, even though I would have plenty of savings. Obviously this isn't an issue after all.