Pets traveling to Paris

Can anyone share how we move from US to Paris with our pup?  Are there quarantine restrictions?  And if returning to US are there rules we need to know?

Hello,

I traveled with four pets (3 cats and a dog, via two separate trips) last year to Toulouse. I believe the requirements for travel would be comparable, as they are generally the same throughout Europe.

I would recommend having a conversation with your vet as soon as you can so that you can coordinate the timing for any vaccinations and the paperwork that you will need for your pet passport. The pet passport becomes an important document so that you can travel again and also take with you to your veterinarian appointments in France.

We spoke with our vet about 6 months in advance and coordinated appointments that would be about 1 week prior to leaving. Your rabies vaccination will need to be recent (if I recall, it needs to be within 30 days of departure even if it is not yet due but please confirm; your vet will know). Your vet will then complete paperwork in French and in English, which will then need to be sent to your regional FDA office so you can then get the pet passport. For example, I formerly lived in New Jersey and my paperwork was sent to Albany, New York. Your paperwork should be sent express mail and then include a return express mail envelope to ensure you get your paperwork in time.

My vet prepared a folder that had all of the travel related paperwork on one side (both English and French translations), and the complete veterinary history on the other.

Lastly, if you want your pet to travel with you in the cabin, make sure to book your pet's ticket ASAP, as most airlines generally allow only two pets to travel in the cabin.

Sorry for the longwinded response. Hope this helps.