Asking about the city of Quito.

I wanna know if the city of Quito is safe to live and if one can find jobs easy. I want to move over there end of this month.

I'm a young woman from Zimbabwe.

Yeah thanks

Dear Celine Eunice,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ....

Large cities with millions of inhabitants in the Western Hemisphere are typically not as safe as smaller cities.

I believe this is a reason that Cuenca, Ecuador, has attracted so many Expats, including many women, making it a world-class Expat destination for arrivals to South America.

Cuenca also has the highest per-capita number of Expat meetings and events in La República.

Consider visiting Cuenca before establishing deep roots in Quito.

cccmedia

Noted. Thank you so much.

As for Quito, or anywhere in Ecuador, being a good place for a foreigner to seek employment .. it's not.

Unless you're an English teacher willing to work for low pay .. or a highly-skilled medical person.

Ecuador's government and industries discourage the employment of foreigners whenever a qualified Ecuadorian national could be hired.

Consider Googling 'countries where English is official language' to find some alternative countries where the language barrier is not another obstacle to employment.

cccmedia

Celine Eunice wrote:

I wanna know if the city of Quito is safe to live and if one can find jobs easy. I want to move over there end of this month.

I'm a young woman from Zimbabwe.

Yeah thanks

IMO as a resident of Quito, I think it's somewhat safe. There are some areas in which crime is more prevalent. South Quito comes to mind. Some locals even call it little Guayaquil (one of the most dangerous cities in Ecuador). Yeah, it's just dangerous down there, this past Saturday a taxi driver was killed by being drugged with Scoplamine. How they got him to ingest it remains a mystery, relatives will probably find out after the autopsy. These types of cases are occurring more frequently. 

Situational awareness is of utmost importance. Most crime occurs after 8PM and especially on weekends. Also important is to know the company you keep and to know the places you frequent. In many ways, life is cheap here and I was talking to friend about this the other day. I still don't understand why criminals choose to kill people over a hundred dollars and cell phone. Robbery is one thing, but why kill the victim!?

As for jobs, Ecuador in general is not a good destination. We have hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans from all social and academic backgrounds who speak the local language and are paid a fraction of what locals are paid. My point is - competition is fierce and you'll be at a huge disadvantage if you are not fluent in Spanish.

thank you for sharing information