Accommodation monthly rent

Seems very expensive compared to Thailand what sort of prices for a 1 bedroom place on the outskirts of pp or siem reap and is it safe

Cheaper than Thailand.

You can have a room in a hostel for as little as $5 per night.

Search booking.com and you will find.

Cheers

Joe

Thank Joe what I really mean is long term when I move to Cambodia I'm looking for just a small place to live year on year when I retire there outside of the main citys, a rulral area close to a city would be ok, in Thailand I'm paying abot3000 baht a month or around 100 dollars a month
Have yearly contract

Cambodia is much more expensive as Thailand or Vietnam, specially if u want to rent a property. The prices in Phnom Penh are very high, specially if u are with your family. It depends as well what kind of property are u looking for.

Completely depends what you want.

Just a 1 bedroom with a toilet and show unfurnished but would be better if it had a bed

Salavan, you will have to search for your special wish yourself once you get here.

My advise is to come over, get yourself a cheap hostel at $5 for a month and look around. All accommodation near larger cities is more expensive than upcountry.
So go to some provinces and have a look there.

On the other hand there has been a thread about $50 - $100 accommodation in Siem reap, so have a look there and contact the people who wrote that. You might find something there.
Here is the link: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 92#4448597

Btw Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand, PP is 20% cheaper than Bangkok, so don't believe stories of Cambodia being more expensive.

Good luck.

Joe

I lived in a few countries in South East Asia and never spent so much money on rent and food like in Cambodia. I moved to PP in September and still trying to figure it out how the people from here can survive with a few hundred USD salary. Cambodia importing almost everything, this is the reason of high prices.

Zonemes, you should look around more carefully, you obviously haven't found the right places.

This is the reality:

Indices Difference    Info
Consumer Prices in Phnom Penh are 14.24% lower than in Bangkok
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Phnom Penh are 19.53% lower than in Bangkok
Rent Prices in Phnom Penh are 31.49% lower than in Bangkok
Restaurant Prices in Phnom Penh are 15.71% lower than in Bangkok
Groceries Prices in Phnom Penh are 20.47% lower than in Bangkok
Local Purchasing Power in Phnom Penh is 60.18% lower than in Bangkok

Source: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … Phnom+Penh

Cheers

Joe

I found the cost of living in PP extremely cheap. If you want expensive try living in New Zealand.

marjinel wrote:

I found the cost of living in PP extremely cheap. If you want expensive try living in New Zealand.

:D

Salavan,
monthly rent in SR starts at around $200 for quite a small studio with a tiny kitchenette. If you want a decent, spacious condo count around $350 for 1 bedroom apartment.
We paid $200 in Chiang Mai but we lived much smaller, besides the accommodation didn't have a kitchen.
We rent in Watbo (27th street) a spacious condo for $310, utilities excluded ($5/month for water, electricity unknown yet as our 1st payment is due end of this month). SR is very safe, this area is residential with loads of fine restaurants, bars and French bakeries, vegan/vegetarian eateries and grocery stores.
We've been living in SR for 6 weeks now and we simply love it.

I trust this answers your question about rents.

Joe,
the index you indicate is only a comparison with Thailand. Zonemes states that he lived in various parts of SEA where the cost of living might indeed be cheaper than here.

Having lived in Chiang Mai, I agree that rent is cheaper here and a much higher value for money.

On the other hand, the cost of living is going to depend on the individual life style: street food is cheap, good restaurants are naturally a bit more expensive. But all in all I find life reasonably inexpensive in SR, compared to VN and Thailand.
I think we found the cheapest hostel in town: a single for $2, and draft beer costs $0.50 in many bars; can't beat that.
We paid $12/day for a very comfortable spacious private room with en suite bathroom at a guesthouse with a swimming pool, can't beat that either, knowing we paid for $8 for a double bunk bed in a dorm in Hanoi.

As both Salavan and Zonemes mentioned Thailand and Salavan thinking Cambodia is more expensive than Thailand, I compared prices between those two countries.

I'm glad you confirm that at least for accommodation Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand and even Vietnam.

Cheers.

Joe

Sure, they are cheaper here.
And they certainly beat prices in Myanmar, real estate prices are very high in that country. Accommodations are expensive and of a bad quality.

Cambodia remains very attractive in this region.

You are right, Yangon is much expensive

Definitely cheaper than Vietnam, at least the main centres. I lived for two years in Hanoi and three years in HCM, both places it was hard to find anything decent for less than $800 a month, which would get you a top class apartment in PP. Vung Tau was cheap but then you could compare that to Kampot, roughly the same.

I'm currently living in Phnom Penh and  bien hoa Vietnam, which is 30 kilometers from Saigon, I too lived in Saigon 6 months last year, with rentals in pp. and Saigon, really can't be compared , as everything in pp is very compacted, and the russian Market is still  is 2-3$  tuk  tuk ride to the riverside, as in Saigon, it's strictly districts, and they can be long distance from district 12 to district 1, and thus the so called higher prices in Saigon , yes the closer you are to district 1 is generally higher, or across the River in district 2 where a good apartment can be found for 5-700$ long term rental, but if you get out into the further districts you can still find that 200$ per month decent Vietnamese apartment,  also pho  is so cheap in the small restaurants in the alley ways 1$-150$ , so I find the food to be just as cheap in Vietnam, many people don't understand how big HCMC is estimated 12  - 16  million people, as Los Angeles California is 7million  people, therefore I honestly see Phnom Penh is much more desirable place to live , and more bang for your buck as far as rents , and overall living.

Yes, correct about cheaper in Saigon out in the burbs. I lived in D3 (opposite the War Museum), and rents around there and D1 were high, but I worked on Pasteur St and living further out meant sitting in log jams every morning and evening. PP is definitely more accessible, size and population-wise, and although local food is comparable its the rent thats the biggest expense.

Yes hdgh29 I don't work but factor that in also , I do love vung tau where it's easy living and cheap rents nice beachfront, but comparing Phnom Penh to  HCMC  pp is much easier to live and get around, the density level is exactly doubled Saigon to Phnom Penh