Rental Housing Difficulties

I can't believe how difficult it is to try to find a house to rent.  Batdongsan and Dot Property are full of places that look decent.  Unfortunately they are either A: not really available, B: aren't even the actual property for rent or C: are the actual property but the price listed is not even close to the accurate price.  It appears just a means to snag someone as a "potential renter" and the push the agenda of what they have available at the time.

That doesn't really help when I know how big of a place I want and how much I want to spend to show me something that is twice my budget or half the size I want.  And, this has all been done through calls to set up appointments through my VN fiance.  The agents didn't even know to put the "foreigner tax" on the property yet.

Sorry, just my rant for the day.

SteinNebraska :

I can't believe how difficult it is to try to find a house to rent.  Batdongsan and Dot Property are full of places that look decent.  Unfortunately they are either A: not really available, B: aren't even the actual property for rent or C: are the actual property but the price listed is not even close to the accurate price.  It appears just a means to snag someone as a "potential renter" and the push the agenda of what they have available at the time.

My experience, so far:

I've found 3 great places to live since returning to Đà Nẵng.

I looked online and made phone calls.

However, in all three cases, I didn't find what I needed and wanted until I actually went to the neighborhoods that interested me and began walking around.

Boots on the ground worked for me.

Here in Vung Tau one agent has been advertising the same properties for 4 years. He and his cronies just keep rotating the same ads with different addresses. I have also seen the same house advertised in Vung Tau and Saigon at the same time. No morals these agents.

The real estate listing websites are definitely messed up, so many mistakes, but useful for an overview. Pretty sure you can find businesses of all types without morals. We had good luck in Saigon Phu My Hung with an agent, as inside Sky Garden there are a dozen agent offices with listings. My anecdotal evidence.

The general guidance is if an agent doesn't have what you want, go elsewhere. I never expect to get the apartment with the lowest price, there will be too much competition or it is a loss leader. And never rent without seeing the property in daytime (roosters, business and school noise) and night (karaoke, music, shady characters).

colinoscapee :

Here in Vung Tau one agent has been advertising the same properties for 4 years. He and his cronies just keep rotating the same ads with different addresses. I have also seen the same house advertised in Vung Tau and Saigon at the same time. No morals these agents.

They must have learned that trick from NY Craigslist.

Wxx3 :
colinoscapee :

They must have learned that trick from NY Craigslist.

It is damn annoying. The guy posts about 50 ads per day across many websites. In a small city like VT thats a bucket load of ads.

I confronted him one day about it and he just slinked off and couldnt give a damn.

I’ve pretty much decided I want to live in Oasis or Oasis II in Bình Duong for a lot of reasons so I’m heading up there today to camp out and do the feet on the ground thing.  GF has two or three appointments already set up for today so hope all goes well.

As a follow-up we were fortunate to view five properties today that all were of the same size and type that we were looking for.  The main takeaway from this is only one of which was listed for rent on Batdongsan or Dot.  The others were through the local rental dealers/agents/ etc.  We were able to make a selection and sign the paperwork.  Move in tomorrow.

Excellent, thx for the follow up