Do foreigners get a smile in the PH? Unhappy in Vietnam

Hello,

Im Tim, 45, living and teaching in Vietnam for 2 years.

Even though people here where I live (Ho Chi Minh) are extremely polite, respectful and honest, I hardly get a smile from a lady anywhere I go.  (Yes, I smile first and I have a positive attitude to all)

From my own perspective, Vietnamese ladies are too cold, and serious.
I seriously doubt I will ever find a caring, simple lady to build a family with here In VN.

As I am considering an exit as I would like to ask:
- how are you welcomed in the Philippines  from the lady at the restaurant, pharmacy, supermarket etc? are you welcomed with a smile?

thank you for sharing. I really appreciate.

In the Philippines people are free, no communist party monitoring their life like in Vietnam.  So if your first criteria is women smiling at you, come to the Philippines !!! You will have all the smiles you want ! But it is very addictif ! When I come back to France and see the people with sad, serious faces, I want one thing,   going back to the Philippines !

I get smiles in Vietnam frequently and hellos. I also got them in the Philippines but Viets appear more genuine and even keeled to me.

Filipinos try way too hard to appear happy and it looks extremely contrived. I'm also a fairly serious person and don't usually smile unless I know you already. Filipinos actually view the lack of smiling from foreigners as uptight or arrogant so it can easily affect your experience in the country.

i am outgoing frendly and polite and i get nothing but smiles here,but i'm always smiling to he

greets  Dirk

Having lived in several countries in SE Asia, my vote is for Philippines. But we can get frustrated with any place - including our home country. I think it is more a matter of your closest relationships that might have a bearing on your happiness index.

if you like the idea of a smile, being called friend and can you loan me 500 peso all within 24  hours, the phils is the place for you, and if you give that loan, dont try to get it back, or rocks and your roof will meet for many kisses

One thing they do smile when they engage you or meet you face to face, always ready to accommodate you. Going into the bank I say hello to the armed guard and he smiles back. The bank teller smiles at me when she tells me I can't transfer money between my dollar account and peso account. So I go outside withdraw peso's from my dollar account (atm), go into the bank again and deposit the peso's. I write a check from my US bank & deposit it my account here and she smiles at me as she says I can't withdraw the money for 20 days, I check my US bank and the check cleared the next day. Somehow I made a mistake in my US taxes and a refund was sent to me here in the Philippines. The bank manager smiled at me when he said he can't accept the check being deposited in my account.

Friend have a Smiley Day.

Sounds like you're interested in the Filipina ladies as compared to Viet girls. In general, Pinay women are friendly & smile when you catch their eye. I think it has more to do with their cultures' well known politeness, but it's not to say they aren't indicating some openess to meeting a foreigner. As a single white guy I've easily talked with Filipina's in these situations, very little "game" is needed. Just my experience