Picking up the MVV

Hello!
My name is Monse and I'm planning to move to the Netherlands with my unmarried Dutch partner and I am so excited.
I would like to know your experiences with the MVV. In my situation I will do the integration exam in the Mexican embassy, and later apply for the mvv permit. My concern is, if I am granted the mvv, could I pick it up directly in the Netherlands, or I would have to do it also in Mexico?
I am aware of the waiting time for the exam results, mvv approval and passport stamp. But I would like to know if it's possible to wait for the last 2 procedures in the Netherlands.

Hope you can tell me about your experience!
Bedankt!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you're asking can you do your MVV, then move to Holland to wait for the results, then no - you can't do that.  You need a visa to enter Holland and once you apply for MVV, then that is your visa application, you can't apply for another while you wait.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey Cynic! thanks for your answer.
Not per se move already, I was going to a wedding in NL anyways and its possible for Mexicans to travel in Europe for three months without any kind of visa. It's like a tourist permit.
Maybe someone else had a similar situation?

Thanks!

Hi again,

The visa you're describing is the 90-day tourist visa, you can't use that while waiting for your MVV.  You can use your 90 days visa to attend the wedding, then return to Mexico and apply for your MVV.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

But my boyfriend will apply for the MVV as the "sponsor" even before the wedding. Then I just happen to also go to NL around that time and I plan to actually travel too. Then it means I shouldn't go as a tourist either?
And as a sponsor, could he just pick it up in the NL or should I still need to go back? 

Sorry if I am a bit confusing. Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it.

Hi again.

Edited to reflect some incorrect information I C&P from an old reference document.

As your boyfriend, he can apply for your MVV, but has certain specific conditions he must fulfil; this link will take you to the Dutch Gov website that has the details. Put very simply, MVV is a dual permit that allows the holder to both live and work in the Netherlands for the duration of that specific visa (generally 5 years), after which the holder can apply for permanent residence in the Netherlands.  MVV is an integration process, where the Dutch government try to ensure that the applicant is able to be a part of Dutch society by being able to speak Dutch (part of MVV is a Dutch language exam) after you pass the exam, the Dutch government assess whether you are suitable to work in the Netherlands.  There are some family-style visas that also require MVV.

The tourist 90-day visa (known by some as a Schengen visa) is what it says, you can travel to and visit any Schengen country for a period of 90 days in a 12 month period.  You cannot work anywhere in the EU.

In chronological order, you could attend the wedding on a 90-day permit, then return to Mexico and apply for your MVV, you can't apply for MVV from within the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello Cynic.
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful :)

Sorry but that's wrong information.
Your partner or family member who are Dutch or already have a valid residence permit, may act as your "sponsor."  That person can apply for the foreign national's mvv as well as the tvv. 
Your sponsor (partner or other family member) will have to show proof of sufficient income to provide for you, that's why they are called "sponsors"
Being a sponsor doesnt have to be an institution or company. Being a registered sponsor at IND only means that the process can go faster but that's usually the case of companies and schools.

Gabysgl92 wrote:

Sorry but that's wrong information.

You're right, I'm wrong; no excuses, but thank you for the clarification.

I've edited the incorrect information.

Cynic
Expat Team

I have a question: I am applying for MVV (which I understand takes up to 3 month a for approval). Within these 3 months, I understand that I am not supposed to be Holland. However, is it possible that in these 3 months I can travel to France or Germany that is within the schengen countries list.

Can someone here please help. Thanks in advance!

😀