DA NANG expat community

im in Da nang January 27th and for 2 months this trip. like to connect with some new people to help aclimat to new environment.
been to danang before a year ago & stayed on My kue beach area.
what's center of city for expat connections, cafe's bars, lodging friendsd etc?

blinddonkey wrote:

im in Da nang January 27th and for 2 months this trip. like to connect with some new people to help aclimat to new environment.
been to danang before a year ago & stayed on My kue beach area.
what's center of city for expat connections, cafe's bars, lodging friendsd etc?

Things may be different elsewhere in Vietnam.

Here is what I'm observing about the expat "community" in Đà Nẵng:

There isn't one.

There is a backpacker community, which is changing from day to day. The landlords of the hostels are the most permanent members.

There are elderly men who live by themselves but drink with others. They have permanent bar stool reservations in their favorite pubs.

There are elderly female travelers. They aren't looking for what their male counterparts are seeking, and the local economy isn't really geared toward their needs. They stay a week or a month or six weeks, then move on to new adventures. I wish more of them would put down roots, but I understand why they don't.

Then there are elderly men such as myself, who either partner up with Vietnamese citizens or marry them. In either case, we usually take ourselves out of the expat areas and focus on assimilating with the local culture.

English teachers are probably the closest thing we have to a permanent community of expats. They are usually connected through social media and will sometimes come together for well-planned events, such as beach cleanups or volleyball.

Consider sharing more about yourself. We have many "lurkers" who will comment or contact you if they see a connection.

There is a Facebook group for this area.

It gets a lot of SPAM, but people introduce themselves there and sometimes discover friends.

facebookDOTcom/groups/DanangHoianexpats/

Cheers!

MANY THANKS FOR THIS REPLY.

I taught @ University for 2 years in central Thailand, married a Thai, and now look forward to exploring vietnam. Would consider teaching again but main interest isn't working as much as joining in a new communuity of locals & expats.

blinddonkey wrote:

MANY THANKS FOR THIS REPLY.

I taught @ University for 2 years in central Thailand, married a Thai, and now look forward to exploring vietnam. Would consider teaching again but main interest isn't working as much as joining in a new communuity of locals & expats.

If you find something more cohesive than what I've described, let me (us) know. Meanwhile, if you introduce yourself that way in the Facebook group, I think you'll drum up some interest.

Add a #expat to your post and I'll watch for you.

I wonder about the downtown area of Da nang, as to what if any (apartment) would be desireable there,   as opposed to say ANTHUONG 3,  My Khe beach area, of which i am familiar ?

Along the river, say between the 2 bridges crossings the river, is there night life, promenedes?
clubs to sip a brew and chat up someone?

thinking of renting a 125 honda cycle for a month. any suggestions on that idea?
Blind donkey.

getting overhelmed with 8 & 10 notices[b][i][u] a day, from this site, not replies just random listings . Must stop this ;  its taking up my entire inbox. !
where is the delete button ?

blinddonkey wrote:

getting overhelmed with 8 & 10 notices[b][i][u] a day, from this site, not replies just random listings . Must stop this ;  its taking up my entire inbox. !

When you post on a topic, the system automatically subscribes you to get notices.  There is a box that you can uncheck on the "Quick Post" but only the first time you post on a topic.  If you post using "Reply" or "Quote" there is no such box.  You can unsubscribe from any topic after the fact by clicking on your avatar 3 times.  First to the left of your post, second in the box that comes up, third in the upper right corner of your account page.  You can then look for subscriptions on the drop down menu and unsubscribe from any topics you don't want to hear about.  Yes it is not immediately apparent, but it is possible.   You will still get occasional email promotions that originate, probably automatically, from the site but they are not so frequent.   Good luck.  I expect that you will like Da Nang as it is hard not to.   :cheers:

THIGV wrote:
blinddonkey wrote:

When you post on a topic, the system automatically subscribes you to get notices.  There is a box that you can uncheck on the "Quick Post" but if you post using "Reply" or "Quote" there is no such box.  (note to moderators!)  You can unsubscribe from any topic after the fact by clicking on your avatar 3 times.  First to the left of your post, second in the box that comes up, third in the upper right corner of your account page.  You can then look for subscriptions on the drop down menu and unsubscribe from any topics you don't want to hear about.  Yes it is not immediately apparent, but it is possible.   You will still get occasional email promotions that originate, probably automatically, from the site but they are not so frequent.   Good luck.  I expect that you will like Da Nang as it is hard not to.   :cheers:

For some time now I have only received email notifications for contact requests.  Although I have activated all categories for email notifications.

But that doesn't bother me anymore.  I have saved the Expat.com website on the start page of my mobile phone  Just click sometimes on it and you can easy see how many unread posts have been added.

blinddonkey wrote:

Don't you have folders in your email program? I made a rule that all mail from expat.com skips my inbox and goes into my expat folder.

Yes Expat.com Vietnam has a lot of traffic (unlike Expat.com Thailand which is dead quiet). It is a good thing for a forum to have active members, no?  :unsure

thanks much will attempt to use your suggestions
and yes i'  likely to enjoy Da nang people as I experience them with my best intentions.

Hey guys/gals in Da Nang, are there books stores to  buy paperback books in English;
for bed-side reading  sort of thing?  What about me taking a vn  language class any suggestions?
while I have a TESL certificate & taught in Thailand universities, i really am not coming to Vn to work.  But then, a little extra dong doesn't hurt i suppose?
How about any acvtive expat/vietnamese Buddhist groups meeting/sitting in Da nang area?

blinddonkey wrote:

Hey guys/gals in Da Nang, are there books stores to  buy paperback books in English;

Although like most people over 40, I find hard copy books more comfortable than reading off a screen, I think your potential selection will be better with sources like Kindle and Nook.  They also may give access to titles that the authorities discourage but certainly won't prosecute you for downloading.  Fortunately Vietnam does not seem to censor the internet to the extent that China does.

blinddonkey wrote:

How about any acvtive expat/vietnamese Buddhist groups meeting/sitting in Da nang area?

I wish I could find it again but just yesterday I came across a video clip in which a comedian described Buddhism as a peaceful Eastern religion with exceptionally irritating Western adherents.   :thanks:

met a few neurotics and excessive compulsive's my self !
in the dharma.
  But then look at organized religion in general and then there are no questions ! ">)

I am happy to show you around and introduce you to a few helpful people here in Da Nang.