Moving to Vietnam for a year - need some tips :)

Hi everyone,

I am interested in living in Saigon for a year.
I work remotely so I can work anywhere as long as I have my laptop and a stable internet connection.

I'm gonna need some help with:
A) Finding a reliable internet provider
B) A recommended website to find a condo/apartment
C) Visa - is it like Thailand that people can easily get a 1 year student visa? Or should I just live on a tourist visa and do the visa-run?

Thanks,
Ben.

you need to get a visa tourist and do the visa run, it's hard to get a student visa

I can fly in and out several times a year, I don't mind.
Do you think I will have a hard time finding a place to rent though? (signing a 1 year contract)

BenBen23 :

I can fly in and out several times a year, I don't mind.
Do you think I will have a hard time finding a place to rent though? (signing a 1 year contract)

You will get marriage proposals if you offer to sign a one year lease...

😁

So I understand it's not very common over there haha
Is there any recommended website for finding a condo/apartment in Saigon?

A. My experience is landlord-provided wifi isn't consistent: usually ok,  not fast, goes out sometimes. Wideband more stable, SIM is $5, and basic voice/text/data is $5 monthly for 3G and a few gig. Start with that. Vietnam has problems with breaking underseas cables several times a year. Some people have gotten their own contracts for high speed connections, I don't know about that, but others in the forum do.

There are lots of coworking spaces, maybe you just work there.
Coworker HCM

B.  Batdongsan  is one site, here is 9399 apartment rentals in Saigon. You will have to figure out which district to live in. Coworking is almost all in D1. Use Chrome for english translation. There is also expat.com classified, craigslist, FB groups for expats, and word of mouth. There are buildings around town that cater to expats with more westernized facilities, fully furnished, serviced (maid cleaned). Most leases are advertised 1 year, but landlords often go down to 3 or 6 months at higher rate. Rent a hotel in D1 for a few days while you look around.

C. Tourist visa is easier with less scrutiny than Thailand. You don't have to fly out for visa runs, there is a bus to Cambodia border. 1 year business visas available too from fixers like Sunviet.

BenBen23 :

It's a joke from OceanBeach.  All landlords prefer one-year contract.  Many tenants, however, chose to stay for 6 months and resign.

BenBen23 :

Do you think I will have a hard time finding a place to rent though?

You'll not have any problem.  Doesn't matter how long your stay, there are always apartments that suit your needs.

BenBen23 :

Is there any recommended website for finding a condo/apartment in Saigon?

As @Ciambella says, I was joking. Just saying, there are landlords who dream about a qualified foreigner signing a one year lease.

There are two links on this site which might help you. One is for "HCMC" and the other is for "Saigon". Listings are different, even if the areas are the same:

HCMC

expat.com/en/housing/asia/vietnam/ho-chi-minh-city/

SAIGON

expat.com/en/housing/asia/vietnam/saigon/