where can i get good cheese? what brands?

So far, I haven't found any good quality cheese in Ecuador. I'm not really thinking about rare, fancy artisanal cheeses.  More like above average quality, but mass-market, cheese brands lik Tilamook or Cabot.  I'm into aged cheddar, havarti, Camembert, Parmigiano-Reggiano, manchego, brie, gouda, Pecorino Romano, full fat Mozzerellar

Specific suggestions (brand name, store name, city)? I'll travel and bring a cooler if I need to!

Bumped for interest.  The only cheese here that I've found edible thus far is the mozzarella, so I use it for every recipe that calls for cheese.  Luckily, I usually make pizzas, quiches, and sandwiches for which mozzarella is ok (though an aged cheese, like provolone, would really improve my italian and meatball subs).  One thing to note with the mozzarella here is that the moisture content is not even remotely consistent (sometimes shreds/cuts easily, other times almost spreadable).

Now that I am living here, it's become more of an issue for me.

I didn't remember anything about the cheese quality from my previous trips to Ecuador. I suppose I wasn't paying attention.

I guess I was thinking the cheese in Supermaxi would be similar to the Mexican cheeses that get imported into the USA. Totally wrong about that.

Is it the ultrapastuerized milk? The manufacturing process?

Is it a regional difference in product from the coastal zone, made for the high humidity and heat? Are cheeses in Cuenca and Quito better than the coast?

This thread ran here for a couple of years, but yeah Ecuador has cheese problems.

For Cheese Lovers Only:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=420648

Anyone who loves cheese and who is used to the wide variety of home-grown and imported cheeses available almost anywhere in the US, has to be disappointed with the cheeses in Latin America.

You can find some good cheeses, but not with the variety and availability we're used to.

This article writes about some of the cheeses available in Ecuador and their differences:

http://masleche.ec/quesos-del-ecuador/

An internet search for
ecuador queso
will give you a lot of links, but not much satisfaction, I'm afraid...

gardener1 :

This thread ran here for a couple of years, but yeah Ecuador has cheese problems.

For Cheese Lovers Only:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=420648

Thanks, some good clues in that post. Arla brand. Who is that "cheese guy" being referred to in Cuenca? Nobody drops the name and contact info

antialiased :

Bumped for interest.  The only cheese here that I've found edible thus far is the mozzarella...

Awesome! Now I remember on my last trip here my girlfriend got a lot of mozzarella. Is there a brand you prefer?

When I find cheese I like, I will post brand, location, price and size of package

Nah.  I just buy whatever's cheapest at supermaxi (we don't have a megamaxi in Loja).  Since I retired at 39 and am only living on savings, cheese is actually about the most expensive food I buy other than spices, $/kg.

Edit: But as an unaged cheese, it's one that's pretty much impossible to f' up (probably why it's the only decent cheese here).

the cheesy adventure continues.

So I am going to rate the cheeses "pass " which means I will consider buying it again. And "fail" meaning I won't ever make that mistake again.

I couldn't find Arla at Megamaxi in Guayaquil.

PASS:
Toni - Cream cheese
Hacienda Zuleta - Gouda
La Holandesa - Mozzarella

FAIL:
Floralp - Cheddar