Been here 2 years and did not know this law existed for expats?

The alien registration act provides that all registered foreign nationals must make their annual report within the first 60 days of every calendar year. The report fee is 300 pesos, with a “legal research fee” of 10.

Parents or legal guardians are responsible for registering children under the age of 14.

Full text of the BI's official notice:
Notice to all Registered Aliens Re: Annual Report (AR) 2017
To implement the AR 2017, all registered aliens shall, within the first sixty (60) days of every calendar year, report in person to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) Main office at Intramuros, Manila, or to the nearest participating BI offices. The Annual Report 2017 shall be held from 03 January to 03 March 2017.
The parent or legal guardian of an alien who is less than fourteen (14) years of age shall have the duty of reporting for such alien. Failure to comply shall result in imposition of administrative fine and/or imprisonment, at the option of the Commissioner of Immigration.
An alien may be exempt from personal appearance, provided, the alien (i) personally appeared in at least one of the Annual Reports held in 2014, 2015, or 2016 with an accomplished AR form; (ii) presentment of official receipt of latest Annual Report Fee paid; (iii) payment of P500 express lane for non-appearance; (iv) presentment of a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) with valid government-issued ID of legal representative; (v) presentment of a valid passport; and (vi) undertaking to fulfill obligations (in case of aliens with CA 613 and/or RA 562 related liabilities).
The reportee shall present: (i) original ACR I-card and (ii) confirmation number issued via AR 2017 online system (for aliens who failed to accomplish AR 2014 form and AR 2015/2016 online form).
An alien who returns to the Philippines with a re-entry permit shall, if he/she has not yet made the required annual report, make such report within thirty (30) days from the date of his/her return to this country, no fines shall be imposed.
In addition, personal appearance shall be required for all Native-born Indonesians with paper based Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) distinguished as “Illegal Entrants” under Memorandum order No. AFFJR-05-003 in Southern Mindanao for the updating of registration records (IOO Section XIII k).
AR application forms and guidelines in the conduct of AR 2017, list of participating BI offices, AR 2017 online encoding system and all other information regarding AR 2017 shall be found in the BI website www.immigration.gov.ph and posted in all BI offices. All aliens are encouraged to report and remit payments at the AR 2017 BI designated offices.
The implementation of the Annual Report 2017 will be based on the guidelines of the 2016 Annual Report. In addition, per Operations Order JHM-2016-005, BI SM Aura Satellite Office is now included in the list of authorized offices to process AR 2017.

THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) has warned that foreigners who fail to report for annual registration will be deported from the Philippines.

The strict policy comes as the BI confirmed that the application deadline will not be extended, and remains set at Friday, March 3.

Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente also said that foreigners who failed to report could also be fined or imprisoned. “Undocumented foreigners or overstaying aliens must leave the country or otherwise they would be locked up in jail before being deported,” he warned.

My American husband was in the same boat as you are now. We only found out that he had to appear at BI after we went to there to renew his ACR card, or after 5 years of living in the Philippines. There were actually articles in a local newspaper about the requirement to appear at BI, but we did not read it thoroughly, assuming that all we needed to do was renew the ACR card.

I don't remember exactly how much we paid as penalty. I think it was PhP18k+.

Just be nice and respectful at the Bureau of Immigration. If you do not want to be deported, do NOT act condescendingly or point fingers. First be humble and admit to your own oversight and pay the penalty.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

My American husband was in the same boat as you are now. We only found out that he had to appear at BI after we went to there to renew his ACR card, or after 5 years of living in the Philippines. There were actually articles in a local newspaper about the requirement to appear at BI, but we did not read it thoroughly, assuming that all we needed to do was renew the ACR card.

I don't remember exactly how much we paid as penalty. I think it was PhP18k+.

Just be nice and respectful at the Bureau of Immigration. If you do not want to be deported, do NOT act condescendingly or point fingers. First be humble and admit to your own oversight and pay the penalty.

Hello FilmAm Mom, I thought renewing the ACR card once a year and keeping my tourist visa current  was sufficient? I never was asked  to fill out AR2017 report  and pay 310 phps  or saw any bulletin in a BI office . I guess i will find out in a few weeks when i go in and renew my tourist visa for a few more months. So you paid 18,000+ php  penalty for  how many years  of not filling out the form and paying the 310 fee? I agree with you, dont debate or argue with BI.

The fine is 200 pesos/month late, on 10 months (the 2 first months are not counted as it is the time for annual report) so 2000 pesos of fine for a year

What I don't know is If there is a fine when the ACR is expired. I can't find any info on that

Annual reporting does NOT apply to those here on a visitors visa or srrv holders and I am sure many others are exempt. Some that do need to report are balikbayan holders and 13a non immigrant visa (Married visa). and probably more.

http://immigration.gov.ph/services/alie … report-a-r

Munchie wrote:

Annual reporting does NOT apply to those here on a visitors visa or srrv holders and I am sure many others are exempt. Some that do need to report are balikbayan holders and 13a non immigrant visa (Married visa). and probably more.

Not true. Balikbayan do not need to report because they don't have I-cards. Only I-card holders report.

The annual reporting requirement was made clear to me when my first Permanent Resident ACR-I card was issued in 2011, in writing. All four of the BoI offices (Intramuros, Cebu City,Batangas and Bohol) have the customary pertinent government notices. I'm surprised that someone would not be aware of the requirement.

bob lindsell wrote:

The annual reporting requirement was made clear to me when my first Permanent Resident ACR-I card was issued in 2011, in writing. All four of the BoI offices (Intramuros, Cebu City,Batangas and Bohol) have the customary pertinent government notices. I'm surprised that someone would not be aware of the requirement.

Well surprised you are BOB,

In the Philippines each of the BOI will be different better or worse in the handing out of information.  I am surprised you are not aware of that!

philipperv wrote:
Munchie wrote:

Not true. Balikbayan do not need to report because they don't have I-cards. Only I-card holders report.

You could be right, just know why my friend here in dumaguete was told he had to report at the time he got his stamp in Manila airport. Ask 10 different BI agents, get 10 different answers.

No, I'm not surprised by anything BoI might do or say. though it has been consistent in all four offices I have used.

I love the "express lane" story. Back in 2003 when I was working in Manila (on a major government project) and arrived at MNL two and a half hours early I asked to go through the "slow lane". There wasn't and isn't. Bit like the "Legal Research" fee - in sixteen years I've been legally researched, let me see, about 24 times. As a Permanent Resident the departure tax It is PHP2875 while my wife pays PHP550. All in lieu of not having to pay income tax on off-shore income.

Fun ain't it?

Bob