Certifying MM2H documents and using an agent

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to join MM2H and would like to live in Penang. I am looking at the application requirements. and saw that all documents need to be notarized. Does it mean they need to be notarized in our home country, the US?

I also saw some discussions on using agents vs applying directly. Would someone kindly share the advantages of using an agent? It seems it takes the same amount of time relating to processing and we need to prepare the same documents to submit to the agent. The list of agents on the official website was as of 2015. Where can I find a list of current agents in Penang? Are all agents the same or are there best ones there?

Are there other US citizens on this forum? How do you get a Letter of Good Conduct? Did you go to your local police station and ask them to run your records?

Many thanks!

The main difference is paying a lot extra money for nothing
Exactly what you do, the agent does
Its pointless using an agent
You can get all the information you need with from this forum or spending a little time researching

what are advantages /disadvantages in applying for MM2H through agents.
please tell me

Money
There have been cases where the agent keeps trying to take money...

ATULSINHA58 wrote:

what are advantages /disadvantages in applying for MM2H through agents.
please tell me

Does an agent become the sponsor of the MM2H programme applicant?

If you apply for mm2h in kl
You don't need a sponsor
So the agent is only there for the money

If you apply for mm2h outside kl, then you need a sponsor
I am not sure but maybe the agent becomes your sponsor

My comments applies only to agents on the Peninsula...different in Sarawak (no agents or Middlemen allowed).

Just a clarification. If you self-apply (i.e. without an agent) you must provide the REFUNDABLE Bond to the Ministry of Tourism, who acts as the sponsor. If you apply through an agent you pay the Personal Bond to the Agent, who may, or may not refund it when you leave the program. They then submit the bond to the government.

Advantages of agents.
1) They assist with paperwork, tell you what documents you need, tell you if something is incomplete. You don't have to know as many of the details.
2) They save at least one trip to the Ministry of Tourism in KL. That means that you don't have to rent a room, get up at the crack of dawn, get a Grab out to Putrajaya and take a number. You don't have to sit around all day until your number is called.
3) It protects you from the grief of not getting a number and having to do the process again the next day.
4) The sponsor "may" take you about to the appropriate banks and clinics...or they may take you to their "favored banks/clinics".
5) The agent...for additional fees... may assist you with finding schools for your kids, a condo, do the paperwork for a maid, assist you in bringing your household goods over.
6) Agents can do much of this work while you are abroad. They tell you what US documentation is needed, and what needs to be notarized in the USA. The may have a "Commissioner of Oaths" right in their own office.
7) They've done it before. They can get through the process more efficiently. Because of that you may only need a day or two to do all of the things that are required in Malaysia (bank/health check up).
8) If you do not speak English or Malay an agent (if you select carefully) may be able to speak to you in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, etc.
9) They can arrange for you to get the proper paperwork to submit for a Single-Entry Social Visit Visa (rather than entering on a tourist pass). If you submit that application with you passport to the local Malaysian embassy/consulate you can avoid the Journey Performed Fee.

Disadvantages
1) The cost for advising you about documents and procedures that are fairly clearly stated on the government MM2H website. http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/
2) You still need to get all the documents and fill out the forms yourself.
3) Agents may not know your particular needs for schools or banks, and may not give the best advice re. interest rates.
4) They have a lot of hidden charges or leave it to you to pay them. For example, the US notarizations are not included in their fee.
5) Most do not include the actual cost of the visa and bond payment in their fees.
6) Some agents actually give flawed, outdated, or late information.

Choosing between agents?

Compare what are their total costs for YOUR situation. Are you single, married, have school age kids? Does the agent offer different packages? What additional services do the offer free or for small fees (adding a parent, spouse or other dependent on the list of eligible dependents)? Would you ever need them?
Do you speak a little Bahasa Malay? Do you have a special language need?
Are you handicapped/differently abled?
Do you need hands on TLC or are you more independent? Do technical things confuse and frustrate you?
Does the agent provide a clear website with sufficient information that you can trust that someone at the firm understands the process?
Are they transparent about additional fees?
Do they have an office close to where you will be settling, or staying?
Do they offer a FREE review of your qualifications for the program and offer free advice as to deficiencies and ways of dealing with those...before any fee is paid? Or do they "hard sell" you into making a high deposit.
Do they refund your Personal Bond deposit?

Letter of Personal Conduct.
http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/app … od-conduct

I'm an existing MM2H visa holder (did application without agent in 2016) and want to add my baby so we don't have to leave every 90 days.

Anyone got any recent experience with the process? Any links, advice or pointers greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit concerned that all my emails on www.MM2H.gov.my are failing to be delivered.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Thank you very much for your articulate and thorough answer.  It's an excellent advice!

My husband and I have recently started communicating with an agent in Penang called Experity, who've been very responsive and helpful with their answers before taking any fees from us. However as we're now planning to go ahead with the application process I've tried to check them out on the list of registered agents on the official website for MM2H but couldn't find them at all. The director of the agency told me that the "The MM2H website has not update their list of agents since 2015. Kindly refer to Ministry of Tourism and Culture website and you can find us.  MM2H is under MOTAC. "  Given that this website is not in English and doesn't allow Google translate I have no means of knowing if they're really registered to represent us  in our application for MM2H visa!
What are your thoughts on this? Any advice on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hala

I got my MM2H and used an agent quite a while ago, around 2008. At that time he was the Chairman of the MM2H agents association. Can;t remember if I paid RM6k or 8k for my wife and I. But he helped with a lot of things such as reducing the FD due to my having invested over a million ringgit in property already (apparently this discount on the required FD no longer applies). When we came to adding our first child, he had already retired and his son wanted RM2,500. So we did it ourselves and it was really easy. We thought paying the agent was worth it for the initial process of applying for our MM2H.

They are a legitimate company. The seem to be giving you the correct information about their status. They've only been registered since the summer of this year, but are on the MOTAC website with a (MM2H) affiliation. Just type in Experity in the "Company" window and "Pulau Pinang" as the State.

www.motac.gov.my/en/check/tobtab

They illustrate their MM2H registration on their site.

https://experitymm2h.com/about-us/ 

There are also registered as a company and apparently are a traded company on the Stock Exchange.

https://buy.experian.com.my/index.php/s … 2H-SDN-BHD