MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE IN COSTA RICA

Greetings-was wondering if CR has a Multiple Listing Service as in the States.  I'm freezing cold help need to get to CR fast!

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Most 'real estate agents' are not even licensed here or legal to work, so get recommendations before entering into an agreement to purchase property. Ask to see their cedula which will say under their name 'libre condición' (free of conditions) that they are indeed, legit.
My advice would be to make multiple trips to visit first, then rent for an extended period until you are sure that the location you pick, is right for you.
Many houses have be listed for years before they have sold. Much easier to pack up and try another area.

Should have added this link to another post on this forum, with more 'discussion' regarding buying property

Lisa was asking if there is a Multiple Listing Service is in Costa Rica, so that was my answer. I'm sorry, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

You personally, godutch have a well earned reputation over the years  in this 'business' but many 'agents' do not.

I recommend to visit or to write Mari at [email protected] . She's a young and very active real estate realtor with over 10 years of experience with her own business in Playas del Coco. If you need other regions Remax has offices all over the country. But most importantly, come visit.

Thank you for that. That's the reason I write my blogs without spamming them with advertising. I run that MLS. 95% of the blogs in there are mine.

@godutch > Please register your business in the business directory since free advertising is not allowed on the forum.

Thank you

Diksha

Team Expat.com

In all my research, I haven't found anything nearing the MLS system of the USA.

No governing body for real estate here.   I am certain if there was, homes was move much quicker than sitting on the market for years on end.  Just not organized enough.  I have a beautiful home in San Ramon area for sale - my own home - let me know if you would like to discuss it.

There is no real MLS here at all, and no real estate licensing body or rules like in the USofA. Basically realtors can do whatever they want and any one can call himself or herself a realtor.

Don't get me wrong: not all are bad, but it's hard to find good ones.

Best idea for knowing prices is to just look at listings all over the net and compare for yourself. If some realty sites of SOLD prices still there and are recent, that's a good indication. Although it's always possible a property was sold way under-market value just because someone wanted to leave the country quickly or had to. (such as emergency back in their home country).

Bottom line: look online, look also at For Sale By Owner web sites, or private listings like and classifieds, and get an idea of what properties are going for in that area, with similar qualities.

Most importantly come here to Costa Rica and look at properties in person, in the area(s) you are interested in. That's the best way to get an idea. Be aware that some Ticos sometimes will tell you a price for their property then when  you show interest they'll simply raise it.

And if you like a property ALWAYS make an offer based on what you think it's worth. Don't think people won't bargain because some will.