To study Deutsch and then followed by Undergraduate degree

My name is Satya and I live in London. I am looking for a prep course for my niece in Germany for her to do Bachelors in Computer Science Course.Please let me know what documentation you need for the whole process for her to get into this admission. She dont have German language skills. So I want to bring her to study Deutsch first then followed by admission in Under graduation.

She currently lives in India. Had finished School in India (This is 10 years of education in Indian system). After school we have a course called Intermediate in India for two years and her second year would finish by Mar 2019 and results will be out in most likely in April. We dont have full certificates available for the intermediate Until April 2019.

I want to start the process as early as possible to have good visibility on to do list. I will be paying all the fees. Currently I work in London and I am British Citizen. Please let me know if any one has done it before or has an idea about the process and suggestion of good collages as well.

Look forward hearing from you.

You'll have to investigate if the certification you call Intermediate in India qualifies her to then study at University in Germany. And it is no small task for her to learn German in order to study afterwards. This could mean a couple of years dedicated learning. Assuming like most Indians that she has some background in English, why should she not go to England or another English speaking country rather than Germany?

Hi Tomin,

Thank you for reply. I dont mind wasting a year on language when compared to the fees that she (I) need to pay for her to get educated in England. Each year I have to pay 14K/ Year roughly just for the university fee. Regarding intermediate, she may need to do a bridge course for one year which requires B1 as per my enquiries.

First and foremost, studies in Germany require quite a bit of independence and resourcefulness. If your niece needs the spoon-feeding of you looking for information for her, a country with a more school-like education system might be more suitable to her character.
Secondly, calling a year of language studies  "waste" is more than dubious, in my opinion. I would rather call it "The best start for fitting into a culture!"
Now regarding your actual inquiry: She should first check whether her Indian certificates are recognised in Germany and which additional classes (if any) she needs to take to gain university admission. The ANABIN database and entry requirements pages of universities of her choice can help here.
Then, she should try to get into the "Studienkolleg" programme - a 6 to 12 months preparatory class of German and other lessons, preparing foreign students for studies in German universities.

That Germany has tuition free Universities is of course a major advantage. But there are differences in the different German States and some are implementing tuition fees for foreign students – but still cheaper than in places like the UK or America. So one should verify any costs before inscribing in a particular University. On the other hand, she will need a legal required and realistically even more in reality of 8,600 Euros per year for living expenses.

Language schools might offer a series of courses that theoretically will get one from a beginner's level to a B1 in a year. But like I mentioned, this sound exceptional. Even a person gifted with languages working hard might or might not succeed in this goal within 2 years or so. And one needs to go to a language school or the community college Volkshochschule to learn German – and these are definitely not free. It would probably be cheapest for her to first learn German in India - although actually being in a German speaking country is a better context to truly learning a language.

Beppi mentioned something called Studienkolleg which “is a public educational institution in Germany, Austria and Switzerland for students whose secondary school certificate is not recognized as equivalent to the German Abitur “ (needed for University). It is a preparatory course or first year program for academic studies at university. BUT it is not for beginners in German; in fact one needs a B1 or B2 level to get admitted. One can see more about this program on the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studienkolleg

Thus your niece would have to go to a language school for a year - or two - and get certified on a B1 level. Then go to Studienkolleg to prepare for University and only then actually do the university degree. So she would need at least 18 months, more likely up to 36 months preparation. This is why looking into options to study in English might actually make sense. Many people read about tuition free University in Germany and think it is simple to do. Not so if they don't speak the language. There are also some programs where one can study in English in Germany but they are mostly at private Universities that are no cheaper than in the UK.

Anyway, I ran across this site in English about studying in Germany, they have a page specifically for Indians intending to study here which might be helpful for you.

https://www.studying-in-germany.org/req … -students/

Hi Beppi,

Thank you for your reply. I do agree with your comments. I did contacted few Universities and they require B1 for preparatory courses. Hence the reason I have started the conversation here how to get B1 and what is process. I have started going back to Universities as well.

She better get up to B1 by herself before coming - that will help tremendously with staring her fife here!
The German course of Goethe Institute (or Max Mueller Bhavan, as it is called in India) are usually the best bet!