EP Renewal - Lived abroad - Seeking Advice

Hi,

I had received my SG EP in Jan 2017 and I have been posted overseas since Feb 2017 (right the next month). I work for a SG employer (company registered in Singapore).

I have been working abroad since and had only returned to Singapore once in March 2018 (for one week) for a meeting.

Now my EP expires May 2019.

My question - Would I have problems with EP renewal? (out of the 2 years of my EP validity - I would have lived outside Singapore for 23 months so all this while I have been remotely working for the SG company)

I wish to continue my employment with the SG company and dont mind paying SG taxes, plus the taxes of the country I am living in.

Please advice. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

It's not you will have problem for your EP renewal. It's the employer will have to justify why they want EP for an employee who never stay in Singapore. If the nature of work says that the employee has to work abroad then why in first place an employee needs EP here?

They simply can apply visiting pass as and when the employee wants to visit here to attend meetings or short term office work.

Unless until the nature of work doesn't change, why you need an EP? How does it justify you to pay two income taxes?

You do not need a Singapore EP to work for a Singapore-registered company from abroad. EP is only for working IN Singapore!
Also, you do not need to pay income tax on salary received for work performed abroad (except short postings and business trips), only if you are paid for work actually performed IN Singapore.

Thank you so much for your replies!

So this means, I could still be on the SG Company payroll even without an SG EP?

Can they still continue to pay my salary to my SG Bank account?

Who is on which payroll is a company-internal decision and has nothing to do with MoM‘s rules for who needs a work visa.
And IRAS‘ rules on who must pay income tax are conditional on working in Singapore, not on where/how it is paid.