UK work visa with pending criminal charge

I have a tier-2 work visa application in progress. I had submitted the application on 24th December and my appointment is on 3rd of January. I am an Indian citizen currently residing and working in Berlin, Germany. I was traveling in train on 25th Dec and unfortunately forgot to purchase a valid ticket. The controller handed me over to the police who made a report/charge and gave me fine for 60 euro. I paid the fine immediately and asked the police what will happen with the charge. They said in most cases it is scrapped and I will get the outcome by notice in about a month. I have already selected, no, as an answer for any criminal conviction/charge, in my visa application. What should I do about it ? The police said because it's a very small offence it should not affect my visa application but I'd appreciate more input on this matter.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

In all cases when dealing with the Regulators of any country, my advice is to always be up-front and honest in your dealings with them.  If you're not and are caught out, it almost certainly always end in tears.

I agree with the German Polizei in that it shouldn't matter and I don't think this counts as a conviction, but my advice is to tell them during your interview.  If it's not a conviction, it won't matter and if it is, better to find out now, rather than go through the interview, only to have your application cancelled, or even worse, be deported after your arrival in the UK if/when it is discovered (EU regulators commonly share data of this kind).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank-you for your reply @Cynic
Would you suggest that I make a fresh application (as I can still cancel it) and mention this "pending" charge in it ?

Hi again,

Ordinarily, yes, but I'm concerned that Brexit with all its uncertainties may overtake you.

My thought is that at the time you made your application, the offence hadn't occurred so you made your declaration in good faith, so I would go through with your interview and tell them of this unfortunate incident then.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank-you for your reply. I understand that I should disclose this charge, but there is no "interview" scheduled. I have to go to the visa application centre to show some documents and get my biometrics taken, but its not an interview.

If there is no opportunity for you to advise the regulators of what has happened, then you should withdraw your application and restart with the full information.  What is important is to keep a clean record with no opportunity to give anybody the opportunity to think that you are anything else but an honest, reliable person.

Its just a simple fine. It should have no effect with your visa. Just be clear and tell them in the interview. They are more concerned for prison conviction's.