Visa extention

Hi everyone,
My hubby and I got a VOA at the airport in PP on 12/08, valid for 1 month.
We want to extend our stay for minimum 6 months, possibly 1 year. I researched the various possibilities, being both over 60, the retirement visa seems the best thing for us to do. But the info I get from various sources is confusing.
Questions:
Can we get a retirement visa when we entered the country on a VOA?
Is it possible to do it while in Cambodia or do we have to leave the country?
If at all possible from Cambodia, how far in advance do we need to apply? Knowing our VOA expires 01/08/19
Which agent would be best able to help us with this in SR?
Is it at all possible to commute a retirement visa into a business visa later on if we decided to do business in this country?
Thanks for your input,
Myriam H

Check the Retirement Visa threads for more information..that's where I normally go to for Answers or Joekhmer has a lot of information.Very Helpful..I hope you're enjoying your stay.Im trying to visit Cambodia again.
Happy New Year.

If you came in on an Ordinary visa you can extend it in country for a retirement extension of stay (EOS).

If you came in on a tourist visa you have to leave the country and come back on an Ordinary visa.

You can change your retirement EOS for a business EOS and you should in case you work as it is not allowed to work with a retirement EOS.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks Sunflower Fiona, we enjoy Cambodia very much indeed.
Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks Joe, it's clear that we have to leave the country as we came on a Visa On Arrival (tourist visa).

I trust we can simply apply for a Retirement Visa through the Cambodian embassy in BKK?

You cannot!

Why don't you understand the rules?

You enter the country on an Ordinary visa which is also a voa thing, costs $35 instead of $30 for a tourist visa.
In the country you go to a reliable agent to extend for a retirement extension of stay. That's all

Cheers

Joe

Joe -I love your candor and patience with these posts. Your perspective is always informative and amusing!   Glad there is someone on the other end of these threads with knowledge as well as a sense of humor

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

JoeKhmer wrote:

You cannot!

Why don't you understand the rules?

You enter the country on an Ordinary visa which is also a voa thing, costs $35 instead of $30 for a tourist visa.
In the country you go to a reliable agent to extend for a retirement extension of stay. That's all

Cheers

Joe

Pls allow me to ask for your forgiveness for my lack of understanding.
However, I paid $30 for my VOA, NOT $35, immigration at the airport called it a tourist visa. That's all I know, but hey who am I, right?
In the meantime, I'll find out exactly what my options are from an agent.

Hmmm, my VOA cost me $30 and Immigration called it a tourist visa.
But whatever, I'll soon sort it out, and maybe keep you posted.

Read my post thoroughly please.

It's clear that you have to leave the country as you came in on the wrong visa.

But then you DO NOT go to a Cambodian embassy in Bangkok, but you enter Cambodia on an Ordinary visa of $35.

Once in the country you go to a reliable agent and apply for an extension of stay.

That's the system.

Regards.

Joe

Joe,
I entered on a Tourist Visa, paid $30.
I have just been to an agent (affiliated to a hotel in town), he checked my visa, we checked the info in his book and I'm able to apply through them for a Retirement visa for 1 year.

As I mentioned earlier a lot of contradictory info out there, creating confusion.

BUT: I keep an open mind (you never know who has the correct info), so I'll get back to you to let you know whether it worked out or not.

Yes do that. I'm sure you won't get an extension on a tourist visa, it's just not allowed.

Check this website if you don't believe me http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning- … dia-visas/

But I copied the extract already for you, here it is:

Types of Cambodia visas

Tourist visas. The tourist visa (T class) is best for those who know they will be staying 30 days or less. The 30-day tourist visa is available to travelers in advance or on arrival (for most nationalities) for a cost of $30 if you get it directly at the airport. The tourist visa is single entry only, and can be renewed once for an additional 30 days for a fee of $45. After that, tourist visa holders must leave Cambodia and come back to obtain a new visa. If you are planning on staying in Cambodia, don't bother with a tourist visa and start with a renewable ordinary visa instead.

There is a minimum stay of 24 hours if the Cambodian visa is issued at the Siem Reap airport; otherwise there is no minimum stay.

Cambodian “ordinary” visas (E class). If you are considering staying in Cambodia for an extended period of time, you will need to apply for a 30-day E-class visa (not an online e-visa) when you arrive. This is also valid for 30 days and costs $35. The difference between the ordinary visa and the tourist visa is that the ordinary one can be extended indefinitely. After 30 days, when you go to extend your visa, you can choose an EB, EG, ER, or ES visa extension.

Previously, there used to be only one E-class visa extension, known as the “business” or “ordinary” visa. In 2017 a new set of E-class extension of stay types became available. (These are in no way related to the electronic visa, also confusingly known as the e-visa).

I wish you good luck, you lost already $30 by coming in on the wrong visa and now you trust an agent that hasn't a clue (or has but will scam you) about the immigration laws.
Even if you get this extension it will be fraud and if you get caught you will be expelled and blacklisted.

Joe

Joe, thank you for all your info.
We decided to get in touch with Immigration to hear what is what from the horse's mouth and the agent confirmed your info.
So we'll leave and re-enter on an ordinary visa as you advised all along.
Now, we can get ready again to enjoy some more traveling to a country close by.
We've been traveling for the past 6 months with no definite plans to stop long in any country we've visited. For that reason, we always apply for the regular VOA or E-visa. We had no plan for Cambodia either, except that we fell in love with Siem Reap and thought this would be a great little city to rest our feet for a while.
It looks like we're all set to do so when we get back from wherever we go next.
Thanks again.

I'm glad you found the right track again, you were heading for catastrophe.

Part of my function as Cambodia expert is to advise new expats or tourists on visa issues and extensions. So it is ultimately important for me to be up-to-date with the immigration regulations.
Many agents used to work the old system, just having to extend tourist or business visas.
In 2017 a lot of changes have taken place and many agents did not understand or bothered about the new regulations, it was easy money before and now suddenly they had to think....
So many times I have advised people to change agents, either because the agents were trying to scam people for quite some money, or they had no clue how to deal with a bit more complicated issues.

I have had frequent contact with in my eyes the best agent here in PP, she is a totally reliable and very knowledgeable lady who would never give wrong information or scam people. She is my advisor if I find something weird or when there are rumours about changes (that are mostly that: rumours).

I can say here at Expat.com we give as good as possible info re visas and extensions of stay, we have had many thanks and compliments for explaining things more clearly than other expat forums.

I wish you all the best. If you have any questions about Cambodia please feel free to post it here, you will always get an honest answer.

Regards.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
Back on track as you say  :D
Happy New Year to you, I will definitely use this forum whenever necessary.

Myriam H wrote:

...., I will definitely use this forum whenever necessary.

Specialy in English !

Unfortunately we have not the “French Joe” in our french speaking forum ... 😌

All the best in SR and a happy end of the year to everybody.

Cheers,
Marcelo

HI,
But that's OK, you have someone else.
There is only one JoeKhmer fortunately (as he is unique) on this site.  ;)

Hi Joe so can I get the 35 dollar  ordinary visa on arrival at any land crossing

Hi Joe so can I get the 35 dollar  ordinary visa on arrival at any land crossing

Salavan wrote:

If you give me the country you wish to exit (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam) I will give you the border crossings that get you the Ordinary visa.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Joe I will exit from Thailand

Salavan wrote:

Hi Joe I will exit from Thailand

Ok, here a list of international border crossings where you can get your VOA visa. Don't use any help from touts, go directly to the Arrival window of the Cambodian Immigration. Be sure to have a passport size photo with you and the $35 in cash, they don't change.

Good luck.

Joe

Cambodia-Thailand border

1. Cham Yeam international checkpoint: Hat Lek, Thailand – Koh Kong, Cambodia
2. Poipet international checkpoint: Aranyaprathet, Thailand – Banteay Meanchey, Cambodia
3. O'Smach international checkpoint: Chong Jom, Thailand – Oddar Meanchey, Cambodia
4. Chong Sa Ngam/Choam international checkpoint: Si Sa Ket, Thailand – Oddar Meanchey, Cambodia
5. Prom international checkpoint: Ban Pakard, Chantaburi, Thailand – Pailin, Cambodia
6. Ban Laem/Daung international checkpoint: Chantaburi, Thailand – Battambang, Cambodia

Thanks joe
And can I if possible how and where can I extend this type of visa to a 1 year retirement visa I'm 63

Salavan wrote:

Thanks joe
And can I if possible how and where can I extend this type of visa to a 1 year retirement visa I'm 63

The visa you get is to enter the country.

Once you are here you should find a reliable agent to apply for an extension of stay (EOS).

As you are 63 you should get a retirement EOS without any problem.

If an agent wants documents or more money, find another agent. The 1-year EOS costs about $290, including the agent's fee.

Cheers.

Joe

Does that mean I don't need any documents or proof of saving ect I don't get any government pension from my home country

You don't need proof as you're over 55.

The worst thing that could happen is that you have to supply a self-written letter that you want to retire in Cambodia and will not work.

That would be a new thing, I'm retired too and never have supplied supporting docs or proof.

Joe

And I assume that I have to renew every year at a cost of 290 is that correct

Yes that's correct.

If you leave for a longer time you could take a 6-months EOS, which is also multiple entry and costs about $180.

If I get a 12 month retirent extension do i have to leave the country after 12 months and re enter and apply again or can I apply without leaving the country

Always apply in country.

Hi Joe,
we're leaving through Poipet by bus tomorrow.
Is a minimum stay of 24 hours required before re-entering the country?

There is no minimum stay out of Cambodia, you can come back any time.

If you heard a rumour it's about Siem reap airport, they have a 24 hour minimum stay but that's in Cambodia not outside Cambodia.

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks Joe, that is good news.
We're on our way  :top:

any Ex Aussie Navy Vets living in Siem Reap??

This is a thread about visa extension.

Please post on the Siem reap forum.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Joe can I leave and return to Cambodia once I have extended it for a 1 year retirement do I have to get any type of re-entry permit

Salavan wrote:

Hi Joe can I leave and return to Cambodia once I have extended it for a 1 year retirement do I have to get any type of re-entry permit

No. not at all. Only Thailand has such a thing.

You just stamp out and in, that's all.

Cheers

Joe

So I can come and go as often as I like correct?

Salavan wrote:

So I can come and go as often as I like correct?

Yes, you got a multiple entry extension.

Cheers

Joe