Compared to Thailand

I have been living in Thailand for 4 years. Its ok..nothing great .. Thai people are not that friendly...not that cheap anymore..lots of bad air up in the north and lots of mafia priced taxis in the southern resorts.

How does Vietnam compare for air quality..prices.. clean beaches.. friendly locals? ...taxis?   Thanks for your help

Correct.  All cultures evolve, and Asians more rapidly than most,
not always in the best directions.   Thailand is a prime example.

Yes, what usedtabe the 'Land of Smiles' (mostly a mask) is now
much more open in criticising the multiple methods used to
manipulate them.   Sexual tourism is the name to blame.

'Krung Thep' was already the shortened version of the real name
but even further back, the 'place of olive plums' (Bang Makok)
was U.S.ed by (um,) a few visitors..? to Bang a cock, so yes,
capitalism has flooded into all Asian cultures.  Still going on.

I estimate another decade for Viet Nam before it becomes too
uncomfortable in (my) present Utopia, but Rolls Royce and BMW
recently opened in Hanoi, and fat kids are a common sight now.
    ..so it is not a question of if, only when...

Burma, Laos, (Northern) Thailand and (all?) Vietnam are busy
burning the jungle & clearing the land, so no escape there.
I would have thought after 4 years you would know there are
'good' taxis, and the ones who fly under the radar for a fraction
of the standard price.   Those are the ones I use...

Clean beaches..?   Good luck with that...    Tourism again has
cruelled it for the hot spots, but there are plenty of unspoilt
places.   Go Ogle at your leisure...

The best is the last.  Again, away?  No, even in most Tourist
Traps you'll find genuine locals in both city & country, for the
Viet people have none of the usual hangups like class, colour,
creed or (any?) intolerance to the extent of other cultures.

They accept you as you are.    Sure, there are bad apples in
every culture, but quite a few less here.   As you will see.

Heaven on Earth for me. 
A few flaws, but the best place I've found so far.

See you soon.

Bazza139 wrote:

.  Sexual tourism is the name to blame.

'Krung Thep' was already the shortened version of the real name
but even further back, the 'place of olive plums' (Bang Makok)
was U.S.ed by (um,) a few visitors..? to Bang a cock, so yes,
capitalism has flooded into all Asian cultures.  Still going on.

I estimate another decade for Viet Nam before it becomes too
uncomfortable in (my) present Utopia, but Rolls Royce and BMW
recently opened in Hanoi, and fat kids are a common sight now.
    ..so it is not a question of if, only when...

I think I must be the only single male western tourist to disappear out of Phuket before the end of his holiday. I'm pretty open minded but that place should be renamed 'Puke-et', a place phuked off from because I was seriously disgusted at the ladies hanging out of bars trying to get me to love them for short time - paid for at the tourist rate, I'm sure.

The two things that finished me was a young girl (Yes, pretty young) running up to me for money in exchange for rumpy pumpy, that unpleasant moment turning into a puke inspiring instant or few when a ladyboy grabbed me by the arm (Could have been worse) demanding I pay for sex - my bootless refusals and expression of zero interest falling on deaf heaven (only I could get Sonnet 29 onto a post about Thai prostitutes :D).

I'm quite liberal in attitude to naughtiness between consenting adults (leather, rubber, whips, paddles, handcuffs, 330 ml coca cola bottles, and all the other usual stuff)  and have a very live and let live attitude to most other things (even strange ones), but horizontal jogging with a ladyboy isn't my bag. I was on a flight out next morning, sphincter unmolested and banger unbanged.
(Hope you know a banger is a sausage British English slang)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for a bit of nice capitalism and entrepreneurship, but I have limits - and those very much includes exploiting youngsters for sex. The day I do that one is the day my little Fred gets to play with a carpet knife. I'll do the deed myself out of self disgust.

On a positive note - the far south of Thailand is nothing short of amazing and a place I strongly suggest is worth a visit.

I really hope your corner of the world doesn't go that bloody terrible way.

Cheer up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68tc6sn4cCk

I lived in Bangkok for a dozen years, then left about a decade ago (within a year of the coup d'etat of 2006) as I could see the direction that the kingdom was headed in.

In a nutshell, Thailand is fun, pleasure-oriented and more refined while VN is more serious, family-oriented and rough around the edges and stoic. The focus is on hard work and sacrifice.

Thailand's food is much better and diverse, and the dating scene is much more relaxed and normal.

As mentioned by Bazza, you find many of tbe problems you mention throughout the region, including VN. So, you can't really say VN is better than Thailand (or vice versa), but it is different.

For me, the advantages of VN are the stable government, growing economy and development, easy visas, low cost of living, nice weather and nice people. I live in the south in a small city on the sea. Basically, my life in VN is pleasant and easy. So, in spite of its negatives, of which there are many, I will stay in VN for now, not because VN is so great but because the alternatives (Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc.) aren't very competitive.

Anyway, the best thing for you to do is come and have a look for yourself. Fly over and spend a couple weeks here at least and see what you think.

Agree with the above posts.

The only way to find out is to spend 6 months here and see how you feel.

I have some friends who hate Viet Nam, so it's all about different strokes for different folks.

Agreed.   

Thai food beats all others, but 'Puke-it' is an accurate
analogy for the um, tourist trade(?) on the seedy side

Stoic?  Nah, I enjoy a lazy life, and having a (Jewish?) gene
I much prefer the safety & security of Viet Nam as well as
the stoic community past which made them who they are

Sure, strokes for folks

I know which side of the bread the butter is on

Mine

'Mull of Kintyre'  is more my mindset, though...

..here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5626WzsfMw

Well, the OP needs to travel more within Thailand. There are lovely places...

YMMV, and finding the right place in Vietnam will depend on personal preferences.

https://ibb.co/QnYLGdb

Other places such as? I've visited many places. Give me your top 3 suggestions. Thanks

Nan.  The outskirts of Hua Hin. Songkhla for friendly folks and beaches. Pai, Mae Hong Son

In Vietnam, one can live outside Halong Bay and drive to the sea... And local friends keep holidaying in the South.

I have travelled quite a bit in my 10 years & my top 3 are .....
1 by far is Da Lat
2 Da Nang
3 Vinh Long

As far as clean & pristine beaches!! Forget it unless you are in a top resort & even then there is no guarantees