Paying 60% or more of the rent for a simple room[need advice]

Hello, I am renting a room for 4200kr to someone who is the main renter of the apartment. The apartment's rent is 5870kr. So he pays approximately 1600kr of the rent. Is it even legal ? That I pay more than him the rent of the apartment ? It's not even 50/50. I want to precise that this person also lives in the apartment.
Is there any rules to stop this ? What can I do ? Thank you.

Well, does he give you a receipt for rent and you signed a contract?
If yes, then its a contract between you two, you are paying what you two agreed for.
If no, then both of you are doing wrong, probably him more.
Sometimes people have permission from their association to sublet, in that case its not wrong. But you have the right to ask him.

However there is no such thing as 50/50 here. He probably took pain to find a contract, which you didn't. To get a first hand contract can be difficult so now that he has it, he is making the most of it. I would say he is taking a risk keeping a stranger in his home and that's what the money is about.

I would say if you don't like the situation you are in just move to another place.

There is a word call "ockerhyra" in Swedish in English "sugar rent" or usury. It is prohibited to charge unreasonable rent no matter first hand or inherent according to the Swedish law. But if the place is furnished the landlord has a legal right to charge for the furniture you use and there is no legal limitation what so ever for that. That is all up to the landlord. I only can give you the same advice as previous user. Move to a more reasonable landlord. Try this site blocket.se  Good Luck!

ekhfaiz wrote:

Well, does he give you a receipt for rent and you signed a contract?
If yes, then its a contract between you two, you are paying what you two agreed for.
If no, then both of you are doing wrong, probably him more.
Sometimes people have permission from their association to sublet, in that case its not wrong. But you have the right to ask him.

However there is no such thing as 50/50 here. He probably took pain to find a contract, which you didn't. To get a first hand contract can be difficult so now that he has it, he is making the most of it. I would say he is taking a risk keeping a stranger in his home and that's what the money is about.

I would say if you don't like the situation you are in just move to another place.

Hello, thank you for the answer.
So yes, it is a contract between both of us. And I've signed it, even tho the contract is written in Swedish, so I understand nothing. And he never gave me a copy of the contract.
What happens if I don't pay ? Because I have found a new place first hand contract. But the dude told me that I still have to pay him for 1 month even If I am not staying, because that's what the contract says. And I don't want to pay. What happens if I don't pay ? Thank you.

finnbo wrote:

There is a word call "ockerhyra" in Swedish in English "sugar rent" or usury. It is prohibited to charge unreasonable rent no matter first hand or inherent according to the Swedish law. But if the place is furnished the landlord has a legal right to charge for the furniture you use and there is no legal limitation what so ever for that. That is all up to the landlord. I only can give you the same advice as previous user. Move to a more reasonable landlord. Try this site blocket.se  Good Luck!

Ok, thanks for the information. I've found a new place, but the old one tells me I have to still pay, because I didn't tell him 2 months before or whatsoever. What happens if i don't pay ?
It's an annoying second hand contract, where I was only renting a room.

A contract is legally binding, so you should pay, thats my advice. I would say this is your mistake that you did not take a copy from him. But as for what I know if you discuss this out nicely, there should not be a reason to pay whole month. If he is a reasonable guy, he'll allow you to move out with some payment.

But from how you seem to describe it does not look, you two have been on the best of terms. It's good that you have found a contract first hand. Just have a discussion with him, try to convince him you are short of funds because you have to setup new place also. Offer him some leverage like 2 weeks of rent and move on. You won't enjoy your new place if it gets ugly so come to a mutually agreeable solution.

If you have a signed contract and it says two months of notice then you have to pay for whole two months of period and also have a legal right to keep your keys and use your room to the last date. Landlord can not rent out to a new tenant under that period. If he/she does it he/she has to ask for your permission and compensate you. That is the law. Now I do not know how the contract look like or what kind of relationship you both had before so it is hard for me to give you a strait direction. One thing I have learned in life is, it is better to keep our good policies even though sometimes the other part does not it. Good Luck!