Back to researching land in PR

What I'm noticing on the local sites is this statement of 'strings'... What the heck is 16 strings equal to in acreage? For that matter square feet?

I noticed the word "strings" also. I just assumed it was another word for "cuerdas"

Yep.  Cuerdas, which are .98 acre, is often translated as "strings".

Edit:  Oh, and an acre is 43,000 square feet.

WarnerW wrote:

Yep.  Cuerdas, which are .98 acre, is often translated as "strings".

Edit:  Oh, and an acre is 43,000 square feet.

From what I could see in the listing.. neither would match up as .98 of an acre..

Thank you!

That's the figure I was given by a real estate agent in San Juan.  I've never really done the math on it.

Out of curiousity, i "Googled" cuerda, and according to Wikipedia, a cuerda is equal to .971 acre.

I've always read a cuerda as a little less than an acre, much as a quart is a little less than a liter.

I'm researching land in a a couple of areas for the upcoming trip. Before I talk to anyone (broker/realtor) I need to physically see the area.

My need is at least 5 acres (prefer 10+). Hillside to me is important and 'must' have a spring.

Right now I lean towards north of Ponce. Yet, as I say, I haven't been in the area as of yet..

That is google for you, cuerdas is not string, it is a translation error. a cuerda is around .98 or so of an acre, maybe a hair less. BTW a better translation of Cuerda is Cord/rope, not string, but a lot of times, a direct translation from one language to another makes no sense.
https://www.convertunits.com/from/cuerda/to/acre

I had no luck trying to get assistance from a real estate agents on the phone.

You must shop for property in person, boots on the ground.

anyone familiar with this site or person?

http://organicfarm.net/HELP_WITH_LAND_SEARCH.htm

I'm attempting contact with him to see if he's still active and how current his list is.

I met Sadhu years ago. He is very trustworthy and knowledgeable of the West coast area. He is originally from Austria and lived in India for 18 years. He wrote a book about fruit tree farming. I think it is titled "Oro Verde". I have not connected with him in a while but I can vouch for his being trustworthy.

Mrkpytn wrote:

I met Sadhu years ago. He is very trustworthy and knowledgeable of the West coast area. He is originally from Austria and lived in India for 18 years. He wrote a book about fruit tree farming. I think it is titled "Oro Verde". I have not connected with him in a while but I can vouch for his being trustworthy.

Thank you!

I have made contact with him now. I'll let you know how it proceeds.

If you would like you can send him my greetings. Mark Peyton/Ponce

Sadhu charges ~ 3% commission fee for land/property purchases through him.  Best bet like somebody else said "boots on the ground" connect and network with locals. Best of luck!

Hello all. First ponce is high crime and done recommend that area
2nd i have 3 friends who has a farm and know and can let you know of areas for sale.  They are in las marias mountains which is 30 mins from mayaguez university (RUM)
Let me know

sandrarduncan wrote:

Hello all. First ponce is high crime and done recommend that area
2nd i have 3 friends who has a farm and know and can let you know of areas for sale.  They are in las marias mountains which is 30 mins from mayaguez university (RUM)
Let me know

That's about as far north as I hope for. What do you say of the San German area I wonder..

scoutvt wrote:

Sadhu charges ~ 3% commission fee for land/property purchases through him.  Best bet like somebody else said "boots on the ground" connect and network with locals. Best of luck!

As I learned. Have had a few conversations with him. I'm hoping to learn of a few spots to check out before involving someone too deeply. Trying to be kind & not waste too much of their time.

Personally, I have no issues with paying someone 3% to 'weed' through the do not's..

Mark... Someone stated your town as 'high crime area'...

Can I get you to comment??

San German is pretty good area. Just stay away from public housing.

Ponce is a very large district. Most of the crime that I am aware of is drug related and lover triangles, petty crime, like stealing batteries, etc.
I do not listen to news so I can only go on my experience and what I hear.
I had the first Airbnb in Ponce. Guest from the world over. No one had any problems. So when the statistics came out it must have been based on what I mentioned. Now there are much less people so I would think crime would be less. The city is basically empty but there are still restaurants and bars open. A lot of the museums are closed due to funding. I did see a sign on a corner store with a sign for a new business opening. It says.. China Town, Treasure Island ice cream and tea shop. Maybe the Chinese are still going ahead with their businesses. There are a lot of good farming in Adjuntas about 20 minutes up Highway 10. My farm is lower down the mountain,  I like rain but I do like it dry too. I am not too keen on mold and I do not want to travel long distances for supplies like Home Depot, Sams, I have not been around the Island much so I do not know if I wold prefer another area. Ponce has so much vacancy in the Historic District but the out laying shopping centers are booming. Always packed. I have heard some investing groups are checking things out. The mom and pop shops have disappeared. At this point it seems Ponce has   hit an all time  low and time will tell what happens next. Prices here seem much less than other parts of the Island. In still like my arrangement.

Really sorry to hear that Ponce is falling on hard times.  We have visited the town a couple of times, I was impressed with the art museum and some of the local artists who make masks.   

When we have visitors from the States, we like the drive through the mountains to Ponce and always take them to the iconic fire station🚒 for photo ops.   

Where do you recommend for a good lunch or dinner?

Sitka wrote:

Where do you recommend for a good lunch or dinner?

I too am sad to hear that Ponce is falling on hard times.  My wife and I made it our base of operations when we were scouting property a few years ago.  We stayed at Hotel Belgica, a lovely old place.  Really charming town.  We spoke with the locals for dining advice.  For lunch you can't beat Sabor y Rumba, though it's really tucked away and can be difficult to find.  It's a short walk from the square and fire station.  A little north and east, if memory serves, and they are located in the interior courtyard of a block.  For dinner, I've been happy with Pitos, which is Rte 2, just west of Ponce.  Parking is difficult, but the food is worth it!

As for crime, I've had Border Patrol agents tell me that Ponce is a popular place for drugs to come ashore.  They are then driven up to San Juan, where they are flown into the mainland.  But when we were there, we had no problems.  Standard advice -- maintain situational awareness and don't make yourself a victim.

I have traveled alot through pr and as i mentioned i wouldnt move to ponce. I would never buy a place until i lived in taht area for several years. I have been here since 2014 and have moved 5 times, for different reasons each time.  I would have regretted buying.

I would like to explore the south shore for possible purchase, the south and west coasts seem to have calmer seas.  On the north side we sometimes get high surf and rough seas.

Also, the climate on the south side seems dryer with less rain/ and fewer cloudy days? 

The downside is more limited shopping on the south coast  - we have Sam's Club, Home Depot & a super Walmart here on the north coast  ( but the crowds are bad, went to Walmart yesterday, the parking lot was completely full - the crowds drive me nuts).    😤

I read the papers, Ponce crime is mostly drug related, unless very unlucky or you visit the wrong place, you are unlikely to see any crime. People in need do do desperate things, like petty crime, but that is everywhere in the island and the US.

Crimes of passion happen all the time everywhere in the world, this is mainly a home issue, with few out at businesses or the road.

Ponce is a metro area like San Juan and Mayaguez, so your level of crime will be higher than in most other areas, this is mainly an issue with population concentration. If you live in the outskirts you will see less crime, if you live where people concentrate like popular bars and restaurants you are likely to encounter more of it. These are cities, not regular towns.

I would reiterate the advice to come in person and get boots on the ground.  I have bought a small handful of properties in PR and I have offers out on a couple more.  None of them were listed on real estate sites.  I found areas I liked and drove around.  For every property listed, in my experience, there are three to four more with "Se Vende" signs out with a phone number and not listed.  Puerto Ricans don't like using brokers.

Asking prices are always ridiculous.   Make a fair offer and be prepared to wait.  Make it clear you have multiple offers out and the first one accepted wins.  On the properties, I have bought I have had to wait up to a few months for sellers to come around.  But I have gotten good deals.

Make sure you have a good lawyer in advance.  PR real estate is not quite the same as on the mainland and a bit more complicated.

Wpotvin is correct.
A lot of properties available are never listed. Find an area you like, drive the streets and look for "Se Vende" (for sale) signs. You could also check out rental unots, they may want to sell them if they know you have an interest so check "Se Renta" or "Se Alquilla" signs.

Fully agree with the last two comments. We found our property, a 5 acre hill section farm, through local networking.  Best decision EVER!!!