One year till we move

My friend and I have decided to set of on an adventure. She is a hair and nail person, and I am almost done with my masters in psychology. She wants to get a job in a resort while I want to get my TEFL  and teach in an elementary school. Not sure what to ask but maybe any recommendations on where to look near a resort and city where schools will be hiring and is it safe for two young American woman ?

Better read the threads on jobs, working, teaching etc. Many requirements & hoops to navigate. When I moved here many years ago, it was all easier to work your way through the morass of laws, agencies etc.  Much simpler if well connected.  Much more difficult now.  Planner will enlighten you to the various hazards you must conquer.  It can be done, just sure as shit not easy.  Welcome, perservere & you will prevail.  Welcome, we need more like you.

Welcome to the forums!  This won't be easy but it can be done.

TEFL I don't believe will get you into an elementary school.  You will need fluent spanish and a teaching certificate or degree.  To work in the private school system I also don't think they hire for just TEFL you need a teaching degree.   I will try to confirm.

Private schools do sponsor work visa so that is likely your preferred method.  I have never heard of public system sponsoring work visas.

And you can't live on the public school system wages!

Your friend is a hair and nail person. Ok that is even tougher.  The only way that is going to work is in tourist areas and the prices will shock you.  A Dominican wash and blow out is between 150 and 300 pesos.  That is 3 to 6 dollars!  That is what the competition is.  And no one will sponsor a work visa.

That is the reality on the work situation. 

You will need to go and read the thread on residencia.  You will need that to live and work here legally. 

Ask questions whenever you need, we are here to help!