Chiang Mai air pollution

Hi, we are planning to pick Chiang Mai as our retirement city, but heard the city is covered by heavy smog EVERY YEAR between the months of March and April, if it is true, is this a big issue for the local residents ? how serious is the air pollution ? Do we need to stay away from Chiang Mai for
2 months during the smog period ? Is this a permanent issue ? or the city is working on it to fix the problem ?
Also, how good or how bad is the air condition in Chiang Mai compare to the whole country ?
Thank you so much.

The air pollution is getting pretty bad. It peaks during those months but apparently it has already started. We lived in CM for three years but left in 2016. You can find out all you want to know on this local forum...thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1024854-smoke-smog-dust-2018-chiang-mai/.

Thank you Chinacanuck.
So, any cities around Asia that has less air pollution ?
any suggestion of Asian cities (or countries) that best for retirement ?
thanks

Asian retirement destinations usually means cheap third world locations where things like pristine air and water, along with perfect weather, are not really on the menu.  Kind of like wanting to live above the arctic circle but not wanting snow or ice.

Yes, we have smoke part of the year in Northern Thailand and in neighboring countries but one simply adapts by spending more time indoors during that time.  No one likes the smoke but some years are better than others.  It isn't going away anytime soon in my opinion.

Sometimes the view from our house looks like this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IJfZoEWle6Q1sCYrF4Cxn1c0onayyYkZmVkMy6mCwAnbL-tQUN4fXFObnTP2ptEWPUl4kWnMjhg5hzO3bRvngYWD9xDXjR-HusS2oxaz99fCde41SHcCVSBwxwAJQ7H4yMcQAy3wGQHqhAb16b33T_M6H6DhouEYf9xafSJOxgFcaRsa4F3tAJT4rkbrGwJsOQPjubFfdu_6ATHZFTnRwR3MCWZTqy6f9aGqg9t2YxXKV_ZbFKwe5F7vE9dumnhsKk5TyxYy7blzarCrxM4SIpr3JPcqexMTPoYKZG-FneISnEqKgUeG61Y8nvDgHsa2U7sCuyoeRiwp-xq0Jc035oXyCmcPwlwxRTAzk4CGbiluyu6aVEScapBFW0aCvOfhXUCm4vpFjSz9IrOAcDKyt8sAZ9PqhvmU8Xa3BpHQxk8IZElnY8agxTda3lxKWX-rw9nKCv6197x9EGXJnk0SnHkvD_LUR9MfsU-9Jz3PU_CUv-lOWv9FPs3AJOy9JLDZoW-Fb8GEaaGe-oj4eyiLnmNov1bY1cILO6ru2eMfJlapaLF8uezKv1JPfXSE2_HCnikuWtFPGUnslcLZi5EqGNzpq0-ATdoY6_LUuMCpO9MIya0LGBjSUMwWNFaIViKb6mhujLafSsKZiFy9e68vYTFq=w1024-h683-no

And sometimes it looks like this. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/o76QNB7QaVUXF-G9pbUhk2TZkSZAqs2v9qCFZMAcX0SmuBx-NZdTCvaEu0jDPKVfQilK_5-fjJJEWs_2LD1rrOhzAeIgG0EmRkFkaFKK5quJt2pbc1W-2n01VH25SM0-RsLq-Nm7dhtP4PSr3cMW3OmHCRzQarZIYc-Hbu7WsUdspylkOFNJl3uV5uRQGDHWzZuOTioGHuJF3YP2WoSNNUYZNtxuE2b9x1mFfxppYnHpWrCsSXvOoWMyYTJCgG9ykvUNCVWZM_-h5jmguf7EnOxnHNTYNIDjyv2orSyKpOOqeYaWOUa3IrFJLNtcy-qCPH06tkyilK-wD_q5wYg3X14usXWoY3sz4quVvTxmuCXxaAcFk6tnKl29himLe97qs9sfjNC7DcN3OK-5V5sJ-C6hSN4beIIlxm2WMNVaRvJcXVyW8xU71cqFXFi2o3ViwS87GgLLDZI7VmD46GpcnDzuckBYZarvH0AUKyaPyl1aVnSxrO0wkOXvVyg4H75pZUWVcI-gMA1zpBmRuzMZBzOxLJ3WomBd8i19QRI5QISa0_GFtan7w9J7AzT037dQHw3xynF0ZQZh3YJueNGsWwSqfzyJY7j2UaAuOEAFa6W3TKFjVp2vyHLcdCaq2gZGj42Kno-JVnBc0x9UFlHoQVLFFQ=w1024-h683-no

We have enough days like this, that I am willing to put up with the not so nice days.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KlQgkiTGpptXOgc3OtTgye5g73twS3-HeGYTi0tTPcZbMwM88T_UpuVu6MlI1qim_DqOUztWXQLT3tqgmSylJUHqoSvJPC52y7M_fqkY-iuMdX-qYIC1giH0R_lOgWTjnQJDTHK07_eUCzg4_AcTla4m0Mu4Cmbzif_RfblEguqiY_uuelHxdZy0g5S8ziQ9kEK1xX8GkJqZb4MBUJMkTbCu4km484iL2xqz9zpahmO6DNA1bU1ZzlsMwEYIzMim5VXTSNi1QXxxab805VuZqAwa7bDppa-EVNSr_MVrb4jIHzu_9mCiKgCRRvdWsVEZmL84ZNwT-gGySN5DH-T6Qi14hzydFcvUIhyEq-TwlTFluV8mA7vw3MbbidKG_m_CjYeLAsiQtOzZcnfqckno_9KGz6IwpzUrjRApDmfIquK9XLEOsra4MZ4nJ57ohlPFn9p4w-8cFRgOJ6FZlEoD3lgXZRwFgpF90ZbgGFklSurhtMhFn-sfjQQpkKp-5QLLHoJlw-9c-J-0dCAlWyUc7UEL7XvSAxYxGnqhUMo0BkKau1aTneOjDPdMk6Jzx4el3_BScCx3-AMp02eShTrcE0wg_42AFWFZZAGcp5UUx6Vb3mWnuhNia4mjfArQpgqdtzTKRt3v4iRl-yAayUOwFlG-=w1024-h683-no

What villagefarang wrote pretty much sums it up.  I agree that it won't be going away soon. We only found the smoke bad for about a month usualy but it does seem to be starting earlier than it used to from what people are writing. It's certainly better further south in places like Hua Hin or Koh Samui. It wasn't the reason we left. Here on the north coast of Peru we have almost perfect weather, clean air, no rain and no bugs but do have lots of litter.

Thank you so much Villagefarang for your description about CM, the attached photos clearly told how the weather changes in CM. You are right, there is no perfect place to live or retire on earth, there are always pros and cons, we just have to live with the unstable weather condition in order to enjoy the beautiful part of life in CM.

It should be noted that I live even further North in Chiang Rai but the norther smoke does not stop at city, state or national borders.

Thank you Villagefarang. Is the air pollution even worse in Chiang Rai than CM ?
is the size of CR similar to CM, between the 2, which one is better to live (in general) ?
especially for retirement ? what is the monthly cost of healthcare insurance for people holding retirement visa ? and what is the coverage in the basic plan ?  is the local healthcare system similar to Western countries ? Thank you so much.

On any given day there can be differences making one place better or worse than the other but it evens out over the course of the burning season.

Chiang Rai is much smaller than Chiang Mai but both are growing rapidly.  For me personally, Chiang Rai is preferable but my situation is not comparable to most retirees.  I moved to Chiang Rai roughly eleven years ago after thirty years in Bangkok.  I knew what to expect plus I knew what I wanted and how to get it.

I would say Chiang Mai is probably easier for a newcomer but you will change with time, at least as much as the place will.  So, where you choose to start may not be where you want to be in a few years time.

I have never needed, had or use health insurance so can't really comment.  My very limited exposure to the healthcare system as been at very nice hospitals and has been adequate to my needs.

Thank you so much, Villagefarang for your info.
We are trying to explore more cities and countries within Thailand and
neighborhood countries that meet our requirements such as 1) low air pollution  ,
2) low cost of living, 3) low cost of healthcare (or low insurance premium).
So far my understanding is CM is a good choice except the smog.
Merry Xmas and happy New Year.

Considering that Chiang Mai is now considered to be the #1 most polluted city IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, I thought I'd bring this topic back to life.

This year has been unbelievably bad!  You can view the daily stats on the IQAIR website at https://www.iqair.com/thailand/chiang-mai.

Just to put thing in perspective.  A healthy PM2.5 level is considered to be around 50 micrograms per cubic meter of air.  In Chiang Mai this year it has been in the range of 190 to 644 micrograms!

Most of the pollution is the result of  farmers burning fields in preparation for the planting season, naturally occurring forest fires which have been so bad on Doi Suthep this month that helicopters have been dumping water in attempts to control them, and also by all the traffic congestion normally seen in town. 

At sunset, there is an eerie view of the Doi (which can barely even see through the massive plumes of smoke and haze on the mountainside with the orange glow of fires below, and a stench in the air that makes it hard to breathe and burns your eyes...even noticeable indoors with the aircon on!

With the COVID-19 "lockdown", it's a ghost town here with traffic almost nonexistent but that hasn't put a dent in the pollution; it's worse than it has ever been IMO.

Normally things improve markedly once the rainy season starts, but even then, it is far from healthy.

I have lived here for almost three years and have NEVER seen it this bad!

We've had so many fires (both intentionally set and naturally occuring) that helicopters have been flying over Doi Suthep, dumping water in an attempt to contain them.

Here's some pictures:

https://thethaiger.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/09f03df4011cb23ee9a6f21708e25ecd.jpeg

https://static.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20200330/c1_1888915_200330111231.jpg

https://static.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20200330/3583030.jpg

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/thumbnail_IMG_5429.jpg
https://i0.wp.com/www.intelligentliving.co/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/chiang_mai_clear_vs_smoke.jpg?resize=1024%2C1024&ssl=1
A Good Day vs a Bad Day in Chiang Mai

For any one curious, it seems like we are coming out of the smoky season finally here in Chiang Mai.  The stench of smoke was brutal this year with AQI's at dangerously high levels for days on end, but it's all beginning to get MUCH better now...finally!

Even better than usual now; I think because of the Covid-19 lockdown (less people out and about so less cars and less auto emissions). 

We've actually had some stunningly beautiful days here this week :).  Even a sweet smell in the air during the evenings since we are starting to get rain again as the rainy season fast approaches.

BTW, the link I included to the air quality index website that gives daily reports has been changed.  It is now iqair.com/thailand/chiang-mai

It depends on how sensitive you are to a bit of smog. If you grew up in LA in the 60's for instance, you might feel right at home, although the smoke is sourced mostly thru forest fires.