Moving to Germany

Hey. my husband (british) got offered a job over in Germany, starting next year, with a british company.  I was wondering how would it work for health insurance for us as a family? He was told not to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt. I will, being a german.
He was informed that he will be covered, health insurance wise, over the UK. But not too sure about us. I used to be insured with AOK but due to having a baby and toddler, I won't be able to return to work, when we move over. Plus finding a job might be another thing, as I haven't got a finished Ausbildung, which you need over there.
If anyone got any infos, that would be brilliant. We'll be moving near Duelmen. Still looking for accomodation as well. If anyone knows any good estate agents around the Duelmen area, let me know. TIA :)

candygal wrote:

Hey. my husband (british) got offered a job over in Germany, starting next year, with a british company.  I was wondering how would it work for health insurance for us as a family? He was told not to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt. I will, being a german.
He was informed that he will be covered, health insurance wise, over the UK. But not too sure about us. I used to be insured with AOK but due to having a baby and toddler, I won't be able to return to work, when we move over. Plus finding a job might be another thing, as I haven't got a finished Ausbildung, which you need over there.
If anyone got any infos, that would be brilliant. We'll be moving near Duelmen. Still looking for accomodation as well. If anyone knows any good estate agents around the Duelmen area, let me know. TIA :)

I would be very suspicious of these claims. Number one, if he lives in Germany then he HAS to register, whatever his citizenship. Sounds like the company is trying some kind of fraud by claiming otherwise. And even working for a British company, if he is working and living in Germany then it would be normal that he has German insurance. Having public health insurance in Germany, I am covered in other EU countries for emergencies services. But that is different than on-going health care and regular doctor's visits. I doubt his insurance would be accepted in Germany other than for emergencies. And if Brexit actually goes through then it seems even less likely. If his work is in Germany then he will have to file and pay taxes in Germany unless maybe there is some kind of special exception for a time limited contract!

Normally, having been covered by the AOK then you would get covered by them again. If your husband would be covered by them, you and your child get family coverage with him for no extra cost if you aren't working. But it is nearly impossible to know for sure what will happen under complex situations. It depends on so many details. Different insurance people might tell you different things. It sounds like the company wants to simplify things and make it sound like an extended business trip rather than a relocation. If so, it's simply not going to work.

Tom is right above:
He HAS to register in Germainy, and he HAS to have German health insurance, and he HAS to tax his income in Germany.
Any claim to the contrary is wrong and not doing so is violating the law, which really cannot be recommended!