Cost of moving back to America

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Hiroshima, Japan and have been working here as a programmer for about 8 years now. I'm married with two kids and have been thinking a lot lately about moving back to America. I know I would have to find a job before moving and would have to get my wife a visa, but other than that I don't know if there's anything else I need to take care of. The biggest issue is finding a job back home before I move, I have no idea how I could do that from the other side of the world. I also was hoping someone with a bit more experience could give me an idea of how much time and money something like a visa for my wife would cost.

Thanks

Do your children have US passports?
Last I heard Tokyo is still filing DCF direct consular filing for spouses of US citizens. The fastest option. You are looking at only six months or so right now. Uscis.gov goes into details from soup to nuts, forms to fees.
Finding a job has not changed during the last eight years - networking, direct applications, a well written resume and most of all job skills. Skype interviews are nothing unusual.

Thanks twostep. My children do not currently have US passports, but I assume getting those would make the process a bit smoother? Or even necessary. I'll take a look at Uscis.gov and try and figure out what exactly I need to do. We're probably not going to be moving immediately, but I want to be prepared for when the time comes.

As for the job situation, I'm guessing it'll probably end up being some sort of combination of LinkedIn + Skype, we'll see.

Thanks again

sleepy-turtle wrote:

Thanks twostep. My children do not currently have US passports, but I assume getting those would make the process a bit smoother? Or even necessary. I'll take a look at Uscis.gov and try and figure out what exactly I need to do. We're probably not going to be moving immediately, but I want to be prepared for when the time comes.

As for the job situation, I'm guessing it'll probably end up being some sort of combination of LinkedIn + Skype, we'll see.

Thanks again

If your children are US citizens they are required to enter and exit the US with a US passport. Uscis.gov birth abroad.

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct