Holiday Season

We started discussing this in another thread, it really needs it's own

Extra care is needed during the holidays.

Those with legal jobs will reason the equivalent of an extra months salary (or proportion if less than 1 full year) during the month of December.  That means there is a lot of money on the streets.

Add to that money beings sent from abroad.

Add to that many many Dominicans coming home for the holidays.

Add to that drinking, parties, festivities.

All of us need to be more aware, drive with eyes in the back of your head, be cautious who you allow in your homes and just bloody well be careful please.

The holidays are a time to enjoy the sense of community and family here!  The inclusion is amazing. Have a great time but don't lose your head.

In the last 7 days 8 have died in highway accidents, not including motorcycles!

I always get a lot of help from your good writing.
I watch the news every morning, but I did not know there was such an accident.
I do not know even if I heard a news broadcast urging me to evacuate. haha
Thank you for your good advice.

It is also worthwhile advising expats new to DR and those visiting at this time of year and driving around the country that extra highway police will be on duty and they will be using speed traps in places where not normally expected.

Today in the local media they report and extra 2500 agents will be out on the roads across the country. http://hoy.com.do/digesett-enviara-2500 … -las-vias/

It is common normally see 3 speed radar traps on the Samana highway, but you can now expect more on the highways across the country. For sure watch out on the Las Americas highway to the airport and 6 de Noviembre on the way to San Cristobel and Autopiste Duarte too.

Drink driving is the biggest problem though so drive with care and on highest alert and get home safely.

Good info!!!

This year they are implementing a partial ban on trucks.  They do this for Easter week and it does help!

From Sunday Dec 23rd at noon until  6am  Dec 26 there will be only essential service trucks on the road. So NO beer, rum etc.  Just gasoline etc. 

Same will happen Sunday Dec 30th at noon until Jan 2 at  6am! 

Trucks are not permitted to go over 80KM and have to stay to the far right..... well I won't believe that but they will enforce the ban.  They also reiterated no more than 2 on a motorcycle or pasola.  Yup,  not believing that part either.

planner, everything you stated falls under laws which are currently on the books. they just do not get enforced, because laws in the DR are really suggestions.  as Stefy  from the restaurant says...''the first guy to get out of bed in the DR gets to make the laws''.

All true, but many who read these threads may not be aware.

LOVE that saying!  I will be saving that.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to my expat.com family! I hope you all have a great, SAFE, peaceful and loved filled holiday.

I will be in cold, dark, Indiana. 😂😂 Soak up some rays for me!

I will do my best for you honey. Also drink some rum, do some dancing,  etc all for you!!!

What a friend!!! So selfless. 😂😂😂

What a friend! So selfless!! 😂😂

I do my best honey. It's a sacrifice but you and all the others are worth it. I am taking it for the team!!!  :lol:

Had a blast down there for the past week, just getting home again... spent almost all of my time looking at building techniques, had a very good and in-depth orientation on a totally personalized tour seeing only what I wanted to see.

Great accommodations and company!

Merry Christmas to all!

JR

It is worth resurrecting this thread, and particularly the opening post, even with the festivities a few weeks away because the 'double pay' will start shortly for many Dominicans and a spike in crime/theft will be a concern over the next few weeks with additional money being in circulation as the OP.

It is a time for extra vigilance and anything of monetary value will be a target for theft.

Additional police and military will be seen at malls and supermarkets and other places.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2019/12/03/29000-police-soldiers-hit-the-streets-for-safe-holidays/

Santo Domingo.- The National Police on Tuesday announced the start of the Tranquil Christmas Operation 2019-2020, in which more than 29,000 officers and soldiers will be posted in the streets nationwide, to provide security for the citizens during the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Great idea. Its a great time to be here,  so much fun to be had. AND a good warning, be more vigilant then normal.  There will soon be a lot of money on the streets!  Be aware of theft. Be aware of being targets going to the bank or ATM, dont  go alone.

Be aware when out having fun, getting drunk can make you a target!  Be careful on the roads, lots of accidents this time of year.  Daytime is usually okay be extra careful at night.   

Also be aware of prices when shopping.  Prices often go UP here at Christmas because there is a lot of money on the streets.  If you want to buy something big wait for January, prices are often better.

Inyeresting article today in Diario Libre below which one can google translate.

As is tradition the restriction on hours for selling alcohol has been lifted until 7th January by Ministry of Police despite clear evidence over 16 years that during this period there are significantly more accidents and deaths on the roads.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … HD15706537

You have to think this is nuts and that the people that are responsible for the safety of the population are incompetant and dont care in reality. In other countries the controls on consumption of alcohol are as controlled if not more controlled during the festive period.

Heading into elections honey!  While I absolutely agree with you, no politician has the balls to change this.

And why does it have to last 28 days???  Can't we do Dec 23.to Jan 6? Grrrrrrr

This is the time of year for road accidents for sure and just today a tourist who arrived very recently crashed into a electricity pole in Sosua and killed himself.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … OC15712581

DR is risky enough for a foreigner to arrive and rent transport anytime of year, but a motorcycle at this time of year increases the odds of an accident multiple times.

planner wrote:

Heading into elections honey!  While I absolutely agree with you, no politician has the balls to change this.

It has been going on irrespective of elections and it is notable that Diario Libre are making a point in what is the most read journal in the country.

It just needs a politician who is more in touch with ordinary people and families to realize unrestricted drinking leads to many social ills, conflicts and injuries and a change would be welcomed by a majority.

Again no politician will do this!  It's a culture of drinking and parties.  They will never do anything this close to an election that could even remotely alienate their people.

Hello Guys were  10 days and counting till we will see our place there. From reading everyones posting. We will prob not be doing any latenight dining by the beach since we have to drive back up the mountain. Untill I really get to know the roads. That being said I hope to meet some of you when we are there in Las Terrenas. We plan to join the beach clean up when we get settled in.

Welcome to the forums!

Las Terrenas imo is one of the safer places to be in DR and there isnt too much late night dining as a rule. It has a strong European influence so the norm is to dine early and many restaurants close early as a result. Maybe not Pueblo de Pescadores restaurants but certainly others especially weekdays.

One other advantage if you are driving to a home in the hills from LT, and I did that many times even inebriated without mishap, is that the main road is generally quiet at night albeit with a few bends. Much safer than negotiating the Rio San Juan to Puerto Plata highway at night which is a dangerous road for driving daytimes imo let alone at holiday periods.

Thanks Im  a defensive driver had police officers in the family  that tought me the tricks but this is a new area for me. FYI Do they have any firework displays for Christmas or New Years? Or is there a place one can buy Roman Candles?  Thank You

You won't get any speed up driving in LT town. It is slow going even with the one way system with all the bikes scooters and quads. You need all round vision. It is easier to drive there at night imo.

Yep you can find fireworks. My guess is go find a Chinese owned store and there are quite a few in Nagua which is relatively near. No idea if anyone stocks them in Las Terrenas, never had the need to buy,  but I am sure someone will know.

Usually fireworks are readily available. I personally hate them, too many stupid drunks lighting em off here.