Lombok - Tourism and expat retirement island

Bali is always the big deal for expat retirement plans but potential retirees should take a look at Lombok before deciding on a final move.
The tourism ministry has just  picked Lombok as the main new halal tourist destination, but the island's many charms can be enjoyed just as much by non Muslims.
The beaches are nothing short of stunning, the island a quiet retreat for either tourists or retirees that don't fancy the night club scene, and it's a very friendly environment.
Basically, it's a great place for non party animal expats to retire to.

Visited both on several occasions and I do prefer Lombok, no particular reason though, haven't really explored either

Lombok does have good beaches and snorkling , but you would have to get used to the noisy mosques , also the people are not as friendly as bali , thats my experience .

Not my cup of tea.

I found people on that lovely island exceptionally friendly, but that's always the case for me because I'm so lovely. :D

Agree, mosques are noisy,  sometimes 24 hours a day and some places are not welcoming  to Europeans.

Aurelius2052 wrote:

Agree, mosques are noisy,  sometimes 24 hours a day and some places are not welcoming  to Europeans.

Which mosques and which places?

Lombok is not called "the island of a 1000 mosques" for no reason , try and get away from the noise is a challenge ,wherever one stays in senggigi for example,  the din is everywhere .
Its generally more expensive than bali , with less facilities .

I think there must be two islands called Lombok.
The one I visited was next to Bali, and it was amazing with absolutely no issues of any kind, and really cheap.