Residencia renewal - actual process

This is something I should probably get started on too.  I sent an email to the attorney mentioned above (Lily) and it bounced back.  (Yes, I put the @ in there!).  Does anyone have any other contact info?  Thanks.
NelleG

Yes, here is her phone and Whatsapp: 1-809-860-1231

Thank you!

libaezm@gmail,com

The Goverment Site states :
The first Permanent Resident Card is for 1 Year
after that the Permanent Residency is for 4 Years.
If you stay on a Permanent Visa like me for over 10 Years renovadet on Time you can apply for
a Residencia DEFINITIVA  and this one is for 10 Years also the Cedula
But watch ! You have to do it on Time or the Cedula do Cost you a Fortune
I did pay 3000 Pesos for 10 Years .
I did ask why I have to pay only 3000 and I got answered ; because you did renovate before your Docs have been Expired . REMEMBER the Day you go to pay and recieve your Residencia has to be some Days ahead of the Expiering Date and you will see the Difference when it comes to the Cost of the Cedula .

You are very on point - being late will cost you more per day!!! 

Th e new system makes it easier.

Can anyone comment on what I just read in a tourism article

“Much of the credit for rising retirement tourism goes to the government of this country who has released a special residential program for pensioners receiving a minimum $1500 per month. On approval of documents, the applicant can receive a permanent residency status immediately skipping the provisional 5-year residential visa.”

The article goes on to state that dependants can also be included at a charge of $250 per month.

I'm not sure if this is new information, inaccurate or just something that I missed.

It is true....from everything I hear

The fastest way in , some say

The fastest Way in is the investors Visa but a Retirement Visa or permit it is not . The Case is a retirement visa is easier because this Person has no Work permit , That is why retirement . or Permiso para Penionados. It is different o the Investors Visa where the investor after 6 month legal stay is able to become neutaralised . Naturalisado . Only a marriage with a Dominican can bring similar result.

I am told this is correct. That the fast way for.most and supposedly easiest is the " pensioners visa". Which takes you quickly to permanent visa status but not citizenship.

This has been an option for a few years now.  It requires US 1,500 of verifiable pension income for one, US 2,000 for a couple and each dependent allowed is an additional US 250  of monthly income.

An investor's residencia is a different animal.
A work visa is a totally different animal.

The info is correct, in fact I just received my residency docs and cedula last week as a pensionado. My attorney informed that in 6 months I can apply for citizenship. It will take a year more or less to be approved

Does anyone know, after acquiring temporary residency as being married to a dominican, when can one apply for permanent residency and furthermore for citizenship?

What are the processes for each?

DominicanadaMike - good question. Also Cdn and married to a Dominican. Will likely use Lily when the time comes but good to hear from Expats that have had the experience......

I was told after the first renewal of your temporary residency you could apply for your permanent residency.  I believe citizenship after 5 years.  Would like to hear from someone that knows for sure or has been through the process.

My understanding as.well first renewal is for permanent but I thought it was 2 years for citizenship

Just wanted to follow up on the Citizenship by marriage to Dominican citizen question. I am in process of temp residency to legally be in the. country but there was an article I read about being able to get citizenship after being married to Dominican Citizen for only 6 months. Did anyone get clarification in reference to this? The article appear to say residency status must be active prior to applying for citizenship but I was not clear if they meant permanent residency or temporary residency is ok to apply for citizenship. Here is the link in reference to the article: https://drlawyer.com/nationality-citize … migration/

Also after someone leaves country is there a limit on how long you can be gone and still keep your Temp Residency? I know some countries you can not be gone longer than 6 months.

Ask a lawyer to be sure but my recollection is is as you say -

6 months after marriage you are eligible

as for residency - both temporary and permanent are valid residencies
Obviously you won't get permanent in 6 months

It's with temporary residency and then you can apply for citizenship by reason of.marriage.

All timelines are on hold due to this virus.  Obviously you can't meet those schedules etc at this time.

Thanks Planner and Willie. I'm happy to be in the country. I will be glad once there is a effective treatment or vaccine for covid then we can all get back to beach life and happy times.

This news from a meeting yesterday of the Natonal Migration Council may affect a few expats who obtained residency through the Regularization Plan several years ago (the vast majority who did were of Haitian nationality):

National Migration Council will audit foreigners who were regularized in the immigration plan

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … migratorio

.....Among the measures taken is the performance of an audit of the 220,000 foreigners who were regularized in the National Regularization Plan, implemented by the last government, in order to determine who qualifies.......

This news from a meeting yesterday of the Natonal Migration Council may affect a few expats who obtained residency through the Regularization Plan several years ago (the vast majority who did were of Haitian nationality):

National Migration Council will audit foreigners who were regularized in the immigration plan

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … migratorio

.....Among the measures taken is the performance of an audit of the 220,000 foreigners who were regularized in the National Regularization Plan, implemented by the last government, in order to determine who qualifies.......

@StanR Your first Residency is 1 year, on your renewal it is 2 years. I just got mine done this month. I aligned it so that the dates matched my Cedula  (which I renewed for another 2 years) and they are synced to expire same month and year .

That means in 2 years I can go to SD and renew them both at the same time. Saves me a lot of hassle.

@StanR Your first Residency is 1 year, on your renewal it is 2 years. I just got mine done this month. I aligned it so that the dates matched my Cedula  (which I renewed for another 2 years) and they are synced to expire same month and year .
That means in 2 years I can go to SD and renew them both at the same time. Saves me a lot of hassle.

-@Shapak

This should always be the case. They determine the expiration of your cedula based on your residencia.

I just did my TR-9 renewal. In 2022 after failing to get done on my own in the ususal Aug timeframe, I had to return in late Oct after engaging Lishali again. Strangly they dated the TR-9 for Aug again but the cedula was date the late OCt date. No effect on renewing this year.  This was the 4th renewal. Lishali has provided the info on the next step which is likely Permanent Residency but I may go for citizenship as I also am married to a DR lady. I've been under the impression, supported by Lishali, that I needed 5 years Temp Residency before applying. COuld be wrong but even speaking with her assistant this time around confirmed that. In any case, Lishali is the expert I turn to for questions & clarification...and I'll be doing that once my wife gets her Cdn Permanent Resident status. I/we want the freedom to come and go as we please - to anywhere!!!

Now I am confused (again). After my initial 1 year residency, i went for the renewal in March 2023, and they renewed for 1 year, not 2 years....RT-9, pensioner, retirement.  What happened?  Is the 2 years only for Canadians?

Your first renewal is 1 year. Then it's 2 years.  There is no difference by country of origin

I think it might have changed to 4 1yr renewals..... no more 2yr after after year 1

@wishinguwell  What lawyer have you found that charges $1,000 at the most?  I have got quotes from two lawyers and it was almost $3,000 USD each for family reunification visa and residency filing

@wishinguwell  What lawyer have you found that charges $1,000 at the most?  I have got quotes from two lawyers and it was almost $3,000 USD each for family reunification visa and residency filing

-@Scott18684

@Scott18684 - a couple of comments on this. First of all, @wishinguwell posted his expenses over 4 years ago - government fees have gone up quite a bit, as have attorney fees (and everything else in the world!). Secondly, when your attorney is quoted you the cost, they most likely are including all the fees to be paid to the government for the process. In our experience, we've paid Lily, and we've never had to pay another dime - all the government fees are included in what we paid her, so she has the cash or her credit card to cover everything along the way with Migracion, cedulas, etc. With any quote from an attorney, make sure you understand if it's an "all-inclusive" price or if it just covers their legal fees.

I know of zero lawyers at that price, nor would I trust them

It would be interesting to see anyone and thier experience trying to obtain the residency VISA on thier own and what obstacles did they encounter while going thru the process.

There may be a previous post on this question not sure

All sorts of them............

We had already contracted with Lily before applying for our visas, but all she did was provide examples of medical and pension letters and answer a few questions about the application form. we put the package together ourselves and went to the embassy in DC on our own. We had zero issues and got our visas in 4 weeks. Lily stepped up and took over once we had the visas jn hand!

As this is the renewal thread let's stay on topic.

Christopher feel free to open a new thread honey.

@planner sorry thought I did..

I was reading another forum, and came across this important update.  Cedualas for expats are no longer being done at the old Johnson Building location on Luperon Ave in Santo Domingo.  As of Februay 5, 2024, they are doing them at a bigger/better office on JFK Ave and  Ave. Buenaventura Freites.  Google has it listed as Extranjería / Cédulas para extranjeros residentes

The article:  https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/202 … -building/

The location:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/mt31GghnwHYnNRLG7

Hopefully better parking at the bigger building - it looks like it because still very busy roads all around!!! Will find out in Sept unless in the capital prior to that as it is right on the way back to Moca for me!!!

And not far from Pricemart and Agora Mall.    Lots of air bnb nearby too for those needing it wanting to stay over!

UncleBuck & Planner,  This question is in regards to this subject. I began to wonder what is a US citizen (me) with a dual citizenship as my Dominican cedula states place of birth in US and nationality Dominican. Am I considered an expat / residente extranjero for renewing my cedula?  If not, where do I need to go to renew my cedula? Also, this will be the first time I will need to renew my cedula as it was only issued last year.