Retirement Visa - advice needed please

I'm currently working in Thailand and I'm looking to apply for a retirement visa in 2019.

I'm British.

Could someone who has already been granted a Retirement Visa advise me about the process please?

How long does it take? How long before my work permit and non-B expire should I apply?

Lots of other questions but I'll start with those two.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst waiting for replies please take the time to read other posts here as this topic has been addressed before.

It seems that the Thai government is planning to introduce insurance for Non- OA ( retirement visa) holders. I've heard that it will be around 27,000 per year, but you never know if/when they'll enforce it.

The retirement visa is also referred to as the non-immigrant “O-A,” or the long stay visa. You must be at least 50-years-old and have a clean criminal background.

Two months prior to the visa, you must have a security deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, or a monthly income or pension of 65,000 Baht; or a total of 800,000 Baht through a combination of a bank deposit and income or pension for the entire year.

Once you are on the last 30 days of your current permit ( Non-B) to stay, you can file your retirement application. This is actually called an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Note that to support your application you must have an updated bank book or passbook and a bank letter stating that the money has been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.

Source:
https://www.thethailandlife.com/thai-visa-requirements

After your application, should you be accepted, you have a 90-day waiting period. After that time, you must return to Thai Immigration, pay more fees, and if all goes well, you should be stamped at that time. All you have to worry about then is making your 90-day reports on time (you can do that online, if you do it the week before your report is due, otherwise you must appear again at Thai Imm. to make the 90-day report).

After one year, you must renew your retirement visa, but you don't have the 90-day waiting period.

There is a retirement visa called simply "non-O" (different from non-OA or non-OX) that does not have the health insurance requirement. Also, if you don't have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, I think you don't have to have your money deposited into a Thai bank account, as long as you can show regular payments that meet income requirements into your own account and then show regular deposits into a Thai bank account.