Why or Why Not Ecuador?

Members who have been reading this forum know there is a lot of subjective information being shared. This is perfectly normal because we all have different viewpoints, and it's great to share opinions.

This thread is to share why Ecuador is a good choice or not.

Before I share my experience, I'd like to point out that I've been an expat for a long time having worked and lived in several countries. I believe this is relevant because for many members Ecuador appears to be their first destination (non-tourist).

For me, Ecuador crossed off my checklist: weather (check), amenities (check), safety (check). But, what's making it home is the socialization and possibility of assimilation. And I have to say, It's a good feeling making those strides.

It takes a lot of work to learn the language and to make and maintain relationships. As an experienced expat that's what makes you love a place, a developed social life.

Yes, it takes a lot of work to learn the language, and age 65 was not a good age to start.  The other advantages and disadvantages were about equal, so why move to a new country for a neutral or slightly negative change in life?  I am sure life would be cheaper, but I would be giving up family, live music and live sports for what?  I believe this is why many are lured to Ecuador but eventually leave in a few years.  Others decide to go the snow bird route, but that is splitting your life, not becoming part of the local community.

Ecuador will be my second expat experience.

The first was when I moved to the UK from the US in 1993-4. I was young, so i just moved to London with merely a work permit and a few hundred dollars. I only knew about it from books and TV. That UK experience taught me a lot. Especially how to be adaptable and flexible in regards to brands and foods, customs, and culture. I watched my ex-girlfriend and other Americans have numerous psychological meltdowns regarding lack of peanut butter, overpriced American beer (hint kids: be open to drinking the domestic), "cold" British behavior, etc. etc.

For me, I'm moving to Ecuador for love. My girlfriend happens to be Ecuadorian. Had she been from another country, I'd likely be moving there instead. Her vocation is teaching, she works in a public high school in a poor neighborhood in Guayaquil. She helps care for her aging mother. 

I've spent about 3 months in Ecuador, total. I love it, What a charming country! But like my previous ex-pat experience taught me, all places have advantages and disadvantages. if some country was some magic combination of personal freedom, great weather, low taxes, cheap living, high wages, and easy jobs--- everybody would move there!

I've been studying Spanish for 3 years, and I keep improving, little by little.

I'm still 25 years from collecting social security.

I have a little business online that helps pay the bills. I've got savings and investments enough that could cover me for a residential visa if a woman wasn't a part of the process. I'm not sure if I would have ever visited Ecuador if my move wasn't for love. But I'm happy I did.

I don't know if Ecuador will be a forever location. Personally, I like moving around and experiencing different cultures and places. My girlfriend is open to being a part of that kind of life. I don't feel the need to establish deep roots anywhere. I'll be happy with Ecuador for as long as I choose to stay there.

Oh, by the way, I'll be back in Guayaquil December 19. I'll be there for six months at least.

mugtech wrote:

Yes, it takes a lot of work to learn the language, and age 65 was not a good age to start.  The other advantages and disadvantages were about equal, so why move to a new country for a neutral or slightly negative change in life?  I am sure life would be cheaper, but I would be giving up family, live music and live sports for what?  I believe this is why many are lured to Ecuador but eventually leave in a few years.  Others decide to go the snow bird route, but that is splitting your life, not becoming part of the local community.

Good POV about the downside of moving to a new country. Reading these forums, I think some would-be expats are willing to sacrifice many things even sentimental attachments because they are seeking an adventure in life. Bruce Springsteen, Dancing in The Dark, comes to mind.

“I check my look in the mirror
I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man, I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
Baby, I just know that there is”

lebowski888 wrote:

Ecuador will be my second expat experience.

The first was when I moved to the UK from the US in 1993-4. I was young, so i just moved to London with merely a work permit and a few hundred dollars. I only knew about it from books and TV. That UK experience taught me a lot. Especially how to be adaptable and flexible in regards to brands and foods, customs, and culture. I watched my ex-girlfriend and other Americans have numerous psychological meltdowns regarding lack of peanut butter, overpriced American beer (hint kids: be open to drinking the domestic), "cold" British behavior, etc. etc.

For me, I'm moving to Ecuador for love. My girlfriend happens to be Ecuadorian. Had she been from another country, I'd likely be moving there instead. Her vocation is teaching, she works in a public high school in a poor neighborhood in Guayaquil. She helps care for her aging mother. 

I've spent about 3 months in Ecuador, total. I love it, What a charming country! But like my previous ex-pat experience taught me, all places have advantages and disadvantages. if some country was some magic combination of personal freedom, great weather, low taxes, cheap living, high wages, and easy jobs--- everybody would move there!

I've been studying Spanish for 3 years, and I keep improving, little by little.

I'm still 25 years from collecting social security.

I have a little business online that helps pay the bills. I've got savings and investments enough that could cover me for a residential visa if a woman wasn't a part of the process. I'm not sure if I would have ever visited Ecuador if my move wasn't for love. But I'm happy I did.

I don't know if Ecuador will be a forever location. Personally, I like moving around and experiencing different cultures and places. My girlfriend is open to being a part of that kind of life. I don't feel the need to establish deep roots anywhere. I'll be happy with Ecuador for as long as I choose to stay there.

Oh, by the way, I'll be back in Guayaquil December 19. I'll be there for six months at least.

London was also one of my expat destinations, lovely memories.

And I have to say, I admire that you are moving for love. That right there is probably everything you'll need in terms of a social life.

vsimple wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Good POV about the downside of moving to a new country. Reading these forums, I think some would-be expats are willing to sacrifice many things even sentimental attachments because they are seeking an adventure in life. Bruce Springsteen, Dancing in The Dark, comes to mind.

For retirees it is more about simplifying life, enjoying what is left.  Springsteen sees adventure, but my attitude is more in line with Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb Blues:
          And if you're looking to get silly you better go back to from where you came
          Cause the cops don't need you and man they expect the same.

mugtech wrote:
vsimple wrote:
mugtech wrote:

For retirees it is more about simplifying life, enjoying what is left.  Springsteen sees adventure, but my attitude is more in line with Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb Blues:
          And if you're looking to get silly you better go back to from where you came
          Cause the cops don't need you and man they expect the same.

I think your attitude is the prevailing tendency because the overwhelming majority retire in their home countries. People who retire in Ecuador and other expat destinations are in many ways courageous. Particularly, single people who make the move to a foreign destination for their endgame (since we're being candid). It's actually remarkable, when people talk about wills and taking care of such issues in a foreign land. Yup, courageous people, and it works out for some and others not-so-much.

Personally, I'm like Lebowski I still a long way to go before retirement age. And in many ways, this is why I'm striving for assimilation. So perhaps for some demographics, that might not be a priority. I do however think assimilation is possible with effort, judging by the past few years of personal experience. Ecuador is very much heterogeneous which makes matters easier, and the language, while a challenge, is Latin based. Most importantly, society is friendly and welcoming.

Thank you to the OP for this thought provoking thread, It is appreciated. Rather than offer "a position", I will simply suggest that maybe first questions should be ... "What am I looking for in a home/business overseas? Followed by, "Why?".

Once those two questions can be squared away ... then one can consider "...Why Ecuador [Insert country of preference here] is a good choice or not?" Sadly, over decades, I have seen too many folks invest in real estate and/or business ventures overseas because on paper ... and even after visiting (several times) they thought the locale was right for them. This without ever first asking themselves about their lifestyle preference and the motivation for said preference. Sort of like putting the cart before the horse. Then, after 6 months in their ideal paradise ... they discover that their lifestyle and motivations may go wanting, as a great place to visit does not always make a great place to call home.