Romania visa

hello people ! my name is Gio and I'm an Indonesian. I've got married to my Romanian husband last October and we're settling in the UK. And currently I'm having an EEA Family Permit to stay at UK.

I've read at this forum that somebody else had asked about this topic before but didn't find any solution. So I hope anybody can help me.

We're planning to visit my husband's family in Romania and he has booked flight tickets for next year's January. Does anybody know if it'll be okay if I go only with EEA Family Permit ?

Unfortunately as an Indonesian, I need a visa to enter Romania. I've tried to called to Romania Embassy in London but nobody pick up. And I've read on their website that one of the visa requirements is an invitation letter from Romanian citizen which can take up to more than a month to get.

I'm so confused at the moment. Any info will be so helpful!

thank you so much and have a great day/evening!

If you don't have permis de sedere or visa even if your marriage is not registered in Romania consulate then you need  a visa.

So you're saying if I have my marriage registered to Romania consulate or embassy, I can go without visa ? do you know how long it takes for a marriage to be registered ?

Thanks for your reply!

So you're saying if I have my marriage registered to Romania consulate or embassy, I can go without visa ? do you know how long it takes for a marriage to be registered ?

Thanks for your reply!

Means if your marriage is registered obviously you will get a residency permit first but it's not the case in your situation.

It might take 3 months if everthing goes smoothly.

@giovannylyns

"Unfortunately as an Indonesian, I need a visa to enter Romania. I've tried to called to Romania Embassy in London but nobody pick up".

You don't need to go to the Embassy, here is the portal where you can apply for a visa
http://evisa.mae.ro/

"And I've read on their website that one of the visa requirements is an invitation letter from Romanian citizen which can take up to more than a month to get."

Actually, if you go to the source "Information for Indonesian Citizens" at https://jakarta.mae.ro/en/node/403 you will notice that in your particular case, you do not need an invitation b/c you are married to a romanian citizen. The fact that you reside in the UK will not cause an issue, but I still think you have to go by the rules set for Indonesian Citizens since that is the passport you will be presenting along with your visa application.

"Are excepted to present the invitation previously approved by Romanian Immigration Office the following:
Indonesian citizen married to a Romanian citizen."

The requirements in terms of paperwork + processing time are a bit on the heavy side and not sure if you have enough time, however if you guys could delay your trip by a bit, I do think you should be able to obtain a visa in your particular circumstances.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The ability for a non-EU citizen to travel on a national passport plus an article 10 national residence permit is something facilitated under the Schengen agreement.  Neither the UK or Romania are signatories to Schengen, so you will need to comply with whatever the travel requirements are for the country you are travelling to.

As for the rest of it, the rest seem to have covered it pretty well (thank you).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

okay , I got your point .. and that's a long time to only register a marriage !

Thank you so much for the information and your help! I appreciated it so much!

Have a great day!

Hi and thank you for your reply!

And that's so great that I don't actually need to submit the invitation letter because I think that's the most difficult requirement as we don't know precisely how long it takes to get that.

Also I've emailed them before. And they gave me the exact link you attached here, to apply for visa. And the purpose of I called them because I'm not exactly sure which visa to apply? Though I guess I should go for short stay visa.

Thank you so much for your information! Means so much for me!

Hi Cristian! Sorry for bothring you, but I have another question that you might know the answer.. I've checked on the embassy's website and there's type of visa called "PRIVATE VISIT" ..

Can I apply for that visa? Or I should go for tourist visa?

thanks in advance!

Why would you apply for private visa when you are married to a Romanian?You should apply for The long-stay visa (marked D) .

Probably because each type of visa requires appropriate proof and justification. Under the long stay visa, these are the categories:

Economic activities (symbol D/AE)
Professional activities (symbol D/AP)
Commercial activities (symbol D/AC)
Employment (symbol D/AM)
Secondment (symbol D/DT)
Studies (symbol D/SD)
Family reunification (symbol D/VF)
Religious activities (symbol D/AR)
The long-stay visa for scientific research (marked D/CS)

Family reunification is defined as:
Family reunification (symbol D/VF) – the visa can be issued to the third-country nationals who are to enter Romania for family reunification;

In order for OP to go for this type of visa it would mean that i) she intends to establish residence in Romania (not the case) and ii) the Romanian husband currently resides in Romania and is able to financially support the case for family reunification (again, not the case).

There are some facilities for the OP case, such as no need for institutionally approved invitation letter and potentially others, but just because she is married to a Romanian currently not residing in Romania does not mean you get to do choose the type of visa w/o any justification.

Moreover, as I know Romanian authorities, if the OP, say, married in Indonesia, there could potentially be issues around the marriage certificate as she tries to show proof of marriage. The Consulate could easily say that they would need to first apply for Romanian marriage certificate in the country in which the marriage took place as the Consulate in that country is familiar with the types of documents issued by that particular govt. This is just an example, I have no idea whether they were married in Indonesia, the UK or elsewhere.

As for the short stay visa

Tourism (symbol C/TU) - it is issued to third-state citizens who wish to travel to Romania for tourism;

Private visit (symbol C/VV) - it is issued to third-state citizens who travel to Romania for private visits to Romanian citizens or to foreigners holding a valid Romanian residence permit;

You need to think ahead a bit. Does your husband still technically have residence in Romania or not? I guess that would mean if he still has his national ID, or, if he has relinquished it and he is now a holder of a CRDS passport (as I have for example). Then you will be challenged on the private visit to demonstrate the 'holding a valid Romanian residence permit' unless you arrange with one of the in-laws.

She can apply for a Family reunification (symbol D/VF) visa if her husband holding a passport or residency permit etc.

Dear both of you, Mr. Cristian and Mr. Deep, thank you so much for answering me..

we were married in the UK and we haven't registered our marriage yet. both me and husband are settling in the UK at the moment. And I guess Family Reunification is for the third national who wishes to join their family in Romania, which is not for me as my husband is in UK?

both short-stay and long-stay visa has more specific purpose and types. but why I was asking about either private visit or tourist visa because it takes shortest time to get the visa than long-stay visa.

By the way I've made an account on their visa application website and I chose short-stay visa for tourism and then they asked me to upload pictures of documents needed such as invitation letter, means of support... and as Mr. Cristian mentioned before I don't need the invitation letter. So what should I upload there? Do I need to upload my marriage certificate as the replacement?

hope you guys have a lovely day/evening!

I own Secondment (symbol D/DT)  employment visa  and just took 1.5 months only in your case it will be more easy if you'll apply tourist or visitor visa . NOTE it depends on how well your file is prepared.

Currently  living in Bucharest....!

Good luck & marry Xmas.🙏😊💐🙏

And yea my husband still has his romania ID and also Romania passport ..

it's fine for me if I go for tourist if it'll be easier. But on the invitation letter, what doc should I upload or submit ? As the website said, I don't need to submit it if I married to a Romanian. But when I chose for tourist visa, it's a mandatory.

I hope I can apply as soon as possible because I kinda afraid of the rules and law and I don't want to have any problem with !

The same to you too! Thank you for helping me!
I hope you'll have loveliest Christmas with your beloved friends and family there and also a happy new year!

You have to be submit because you are married to a Romanian but your marriage is not registered in Romania.So how govt. would know that you are really his wife?

Theses are the docs you need :-

Visit - C/VV:

1 valid travel ticket to destination, or the driving license, green card and the registration documents of the means of transport in the case of vehicle drivers, except for the accompanying persons who travel together with them.

2 travel medical insurance;

3 an authenticated invitation from the host stating that the latter covers the repatriation expenses, should the invited foreigner not leave Romania upon expiry of his/her right of stay granted by the visa, as well as the cost of accommodation and living expenses in case the host undertakes to cover such costs;

4 proof of financial means in the amount of EUR 50/day for the entire period, but not less than EUR 500 or the equivalent in convertible currency, if the host does not undertake to cover the living expenses;

5 proof of accommodation, as a firm reservation at a tourism unit, an ownership deed or rental agreement for a dwelling in Romania in the name of the applicant, where the host does not provide accommodation.

Good luck ...

@giovannylyns

> "And yea my husband still has his romania ID and also Romania passport .."

The reason why I asked is that there is a difference between a Romanian resident and one (like me) which has a CRDS passport (Romanian citizen domiciled outside Romania). Apparently your husband is a Romanian resident with domicile in Romania (Romanian authorities are not necessarily 'aware' that he is actually living in the UK). This is important because it could change a bit the dynamics of how you should approach the situation. You can read here a bit more if you like about residence and domicile, always fun: https://domicile.uslegal.com/distinctio … -residence

> "But on the invitation letter, what doc should I upload or submit ? As the website said, I don't need to submit it if I married to a Romanian. But when I chose for tourist visa, it's a mandatory."

Since you are in a rush, what I would do is as follows: I would create a PDF doc by scanning 1 page which would have a reference https://jakarta.mae.ro/en/node/403 to the fact that since you are married to a Romanian citizen you do not need to provide an actual invitation and on page 2 I would scan the actual UK marriage certificate. I would upload that in place of the invitation scan.

I would also create another document where I would explain that the purpose for the visa is to visit your husband's relatives and his city. I would not imply either that your husband is in Romania or outside of Romania, I would just slide nicely passed that issue and they can understand whatever they like.

If you notice at the link above, there is a branch in requirements where for Tourist you need to provide "Voucher (reservation) from a Romanian hotel and photocopy" whereas for Visit you need to provide "Photocopies of documents proving the ownership of the house or rent of the house in Romania". For this latest requirement perhaps you can ask your in-laws to help with either rental agreement copy or ownership documentation.

If you don't want to go through the whole ownership or rental papers and you only stay a few days, I suppose you can book a hotel in the city your in-laws reside (or near-by) and upload those documents. Remember the document I mentioned 2 paragraphs above, I would also state in that document that I have booked a hotel because you don't want to disturb the in-laws, or they might not have enough room, or something along those lines.

At the end of the day, unless you go 100% compliant with all requirements, you need to show that this is a legit visit only and you have no other intentions (to remain in Romania beyond the visa expiry date, work illegally, etc). That is where this document comes in to clarify all these aspects, I would explain who I am, attach some ID/passport photocopies of your husband's, if I book a hotel I would explain why I would stay at a hotel instead of the husband's residence and what is the purpose of the trip. Also make sure you have the medical insurance they ask for, that you can demonstrate the financial requirement, plane reservations, whatever else might be required. Make that into a nice document and have it uploaded, if there is no dedicated section, scan it as the top pages of another document (i.e. photocopy of your passport).

That is what I would do since you are in a rush, of course, anything could happen but that's just my 2 cents.