Permanent residence permit

Dear friends, I have a question.
This is a recommendation from the Internet:
“Before  submitting official documents to translate to OFFI, you should certify their copies with a Hungarian notary. The cost of one copy with the notary is about 1000 forints per page, then come to OFFI to submit  notarial certified copy to  translation.
Savings will be approximately 4000-5000 forints from the document. "
Is it true?
May be somebody has the expirience?

Alex1959 wrote:

Dear friends, I have a question.
This is a recommendation from the Internet:
“Before  submitting official documents to translate to OFFI, you should certify their copies with a Hungarian notary. The cost of one copy with the notary is about 1000 forints per page, then come to OFFI to submit  notarial certified copy to  translation.
Savings will be approximately 4000-5000 forints from the document. "
Is it true?
May be somebody has the expirience?

You don't say where these official documents are from although you might be from Russia from your timeline.

Within the EU, there's mutual recognition.  And there's mutual recognition from some other countries but not all.   So you need to know that before you bother getting them notarised. 

As far as I know, once the translations are produced by OFFI, they are always notarised complete with stamp and therefore have legal standing as to authenticity and translation. 

But to put in other words you'd end up notarising them twice.  You should not need to notarise already recognised documents.

My info might be a bit old - perhaps 5 years.  Last time we got involved with OFFI, we had our marriage certificate done but we didn't need the original notarised as it's an "EU" (UK) document (in English).  It came back with all the official  stamps, fancy HU coloured string with lined paper and so on.  Looks fancy but all bit OTT and expensive for what it is.

We are told all the time that BAH requere original documents together with the certified copies.    That's the reason why we want to make notarized copies of original documents.                                          Is it correct?           Do you remember if they did ask for the originals?
Thank you very much!

Hi Alex,

we recently (about 2 months ago) did translation of some documents with OFFI.  You would need to bring your original documents (not notarized copies), they will do all translation from Russian to Hungarian.

voyage2931 wrote:

Hi Alex,

we recently (about 2 months ago) did translation of some documents with OFFI.  You would need to bring your original documents (not notarized copies), they will do all translation from Russian to Hungarian.

I think that's right  if they recognise (officially) the original documents. 

They will originals anyway. 

The OFFI translated versions are as good as the originals (as least in Hungary).

Alex1959 wrote:

This is a recommendation from the Internet

Source?

That may matter.

My husband took all my documents into OFFI for their "official" translations over 5 years ago, guess it may of been 8 years back or so.

My best advice is to ask at your local city hall office about your girlfriend as you stated she is a EU citizen.

I am American and although it is not written down or even spoke about we know in our case at least they had no prices listed at the translation office and it was up to whoever was at the front desk as to what price quote they felt like tossing at you.
My husband was speaking in Hungarian to a man who was in there for exactly the same thing , a translation of marriage papers.
This HU man and his wife were from Romania while my HU husband had me, a US citizen as his wife.
Well the guy was being charged about $15. for his translations while my husband was quoted about $150. for the same short sort of work, just a few lines of dates and names, nothing too difficult to do.
My husband realized it is about where you come from and how "rich" they think you are, push it if they can.
My husband got very verbal and thought he would be thrown out after he heard how much they were planning on charging him.
My husband never raises his voice or gets upset unless he has good cause.
Well he left the papers after telling them how he felt about their odd pricing system.
2 weeks later when he returned to pick up the translations they gave him a break of about $50 off, guess his fit made them rethink how "rich" he was and how far they could push the limit of prices.
Of course we can't prove we were a target but it was obvious something was up. They literally have you over a barrel and there's not much you can do.
City hall should direct you to where to go and how to go about it.
The internet has allot of info but once you go into the offices it is all up to the clerks to tweak and bend the rules if they feel like it.
I know, had hassles just trying to get a senior citizen discount bus pass, the internet info states clearly that I should be able to get the pass but the clerks have their own agenda and games they play.
Perhaps they have too much free time at work to think of ways to screw people over for the thrill of it all.