Retiring in Las Terrenas

I am retiring in a few years and I  am strongly considering Las Terrenas as my new retirement home. A few concerns are affordable health insurance and being able to find a long term rental for myself. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome David.  As I understand it rentals that are reasonable are still available in Las Terrenas.

Health insurance is quite reasonable here as well.  You need to get it before you turn 65!   I have a group with Humano. Current price is about US 37 or US 50 depending on level of coverage. It's pretty comprehensive including some prescription coverage and good dental!

I can also recommend d Universal as a company with good coverage and decent pricing.

Make sure to start reading the various threads and ask questions as needed honey.

Thank you. I plan on visiting sometime this coming year. Looking at a few countries but Las Terrenas looks like a special place to live.

A new international medical centre opened in Las Terrenas last year (https://www.ceiterrenas.com/ ) and apparently offers a good service and in the event of a serious problem will transfer you to Santo Domingo. You also have a good Cuban run practice in the town and in Samana, Centro de Eseciallidades.

I rented 3 places in Las Terrenas a few years ago when working there on a long term basis and found the choice good but you have to rent long term and negotiate a deal before the high season comes around. You should get a  decent place for $600/700 a month and something really decent on the beach if you pay a little more. I used AIC Dominicana.

Great info. That clinic accepts both Universal and Humano and many international coverage as well!  Looks like a great addition to the area.

Thank you for your help.

A question? You said you will retire in a few years, Are you going to aquire a place to live now  for use in the future?  If your questions are just for general knowledge, be aware of the rapid pace of change. Real estate values are rising at a steady pace each year.  It is a mistake to base decisions on present costs. They very seldom decline.  You mentioned other countries, which ones are you investigating?  Finding an adequate place now could be to your advantage if held on until you are ready to inhabit it. Keep asking questions & you will receive the proper answers. Flip flops on the sand is the best way to find what you seek.  Welcome.

Looking into Costa Rica, Panama and Puerto Rico.

Thanks. Spent a couple of years in P.R. on the eastern tip I Palmas Del Mar. Looked into Costa Rica, but Like Panama becoming to expensive & Americanized. Lage cities no longer held any appeal. Overall, the DR north shore held sway for my home. Access to everything that I required to be healty, happy & well occupied & never without plenty to exlore & learn.  Also checked out Ecudor, Belize, Peru & the central American countries. I had a couple of years before selling my restaurant/bar, so took my time. You have the same amount of time to explore the options.  Enjoy the search.

Thank you again for your help. I plan on spending time in a few different places to see how they are. Never know I could wind up down at the Jersey shore. LOL

That is a great attitude and plan. Take your time and make sure there is a fit!