Visa Requirements for Retirement couple from the USA

All,  I am new to this forum.  Looking to move here in October 2019 with my lovely wife.  I keep trying to find the Visa Requirements for Portugal and found this:

Non-EU residents
Those who intend to stay for more than 12 months in Portugal will need to apply for a long stay visa. They will be eligible either for a resident visa or for a temporary stay visa. You can obtain these visas with the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

The long stay visa is applicable to foreigners moving to Portugal for medical treatment, retirement, studies, professional or religious training, research, teaching, high profile jobs, investment or entrepreneurship.

Since this was posted here on this site, can I take this as truth?  I find that there have been many questionable things in regards to this type of Visa.

If anyone has more "input" to the long-stay residency visa for Portugal (like having to have 1,300 Euro's / month) passive income etc... please reach out to me so that I can have a more accurate idea of what to do/expect.

Thank you so much and am so looking forward to our move.

Lance

Hi Lance.  Those who plan to stay longer than 3 months (tourist Visa) will need to apply for a pension Visa (what they call a D7 Visa).  You need to start the process in the USA and apply no longer than 3 months prior to your travel.  You will need to work with the Portugal Consulate that supports your state in which you live.  You will need to provide your passport; some passport photos; a police report showing no issues; and pension funds or funds from investments that exceeds the portugal minimum per year of 8,120 Euros (with today's) currency is $9300 dollars per year.  Soooo, start working with the portugal consulate that support you in USA and once approved that will give you a 4 month Visa and go to Portugal and with the Portugal authorities over there to turn your Visa into a 1 year Citizen Card.  Then after 1 year you go back and they turn it into a 2 year and then again after 3 years for another 2 years until you reach the 5 year point and you have a permanent resident visa in place.  Outside of this you work on getting a NIF  number (Portugal Tax number) and open up a bank account.  All of this I needed to learn on my own so glad I can pass it on to you .  Good luck.  I think this is all accurate but please verify as you move forward :))

This is SUCH helpful information.  I had been a bit confused about the visa process for Americans considering retirement in Portugal.  Your explanation makes it all very clear.  Thank you.

Catherine

It looks like the requirements also require proof that you have a residence to live in, rental or owned. They also seem to require traveler's insurance with costs to be repatriated included.

What have others used for private health insurance in Portugal? Recommendations?

Hi GuestPoster6974

Thank you for sharing such valuable information.

I contacted the consulate In Sydney, Australia and I've been directed to this link
Vistas.mne.pt

Here's the list of requirements:
————————————————-
1. Passport or additional travel document valid for 3 months after the duration of the stay;

2. Two passport photos, up-to-date and with enough quality to identify the applicant;

3. Valid travel insurance, allowing medical coverage, including medical emergencies and repatriation;

4. Proof of being in a regular situation when from a different nationality than that of the country where the visa is being applied for;

5. Request for criminal record enquiry by the Immigration and Border Services (SEF);

6. Criminal record certificate from the country of origin or the country where the applicant is residing for over a year (children under the age of 16 are exempt from producing a criminal record);

7. Proof of means of subsistence as stipulated by law;

8. Proof of subsistence means can be made through a statement of responsibility, signed by a Portuguese national or by a foreign national legally resident in Portugal.

I hope you or anyone in this forum could please help me understand what exactly is required for 4, 7 and 8.

In addition, what is the minimum period one is required to stay in each of the 5 year period to qualify for the residency .

Finally, i am unable to find anywhere on the website which says proof of accommodation is required. I'm confused.

Many thanks for your help.